Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

PCad TKR Update

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

PCad TKR Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-14, 06:10 AM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
PCad TKR Update

Can't find the original thread about my total knee replacement operation (TKR) on August 6th, so I started a new one. I'm 56 (I turn 57 in early November), long time cyclist, many years of amateur racing, 7-14K miles annually for the better part of 25 years now. 6 weeks post op as of today. My range of motion is about 5º-100º, and as of last Friday I started riding the exercise bike indoors. Takes me 5+ minutes of rocking my legs back and forth until I can get it round the full crank rotation, but on Sunday I actually spun outside on my road bicycle for 20 minutes in the 39 x 25. Still tough however, I'm on the trainer every day for 20 mins or so. Hoping it loosens up enough for me to try the actual road bike within the next 7-10 days, it should. Pain levels and swelling/edema are dropping, still hurts pretty good sometimes.

One complication has been an exacerbation of an existing circulation issue in the right leg, my venous stasis wound condition is back (google it). Not that bad, but still very painful at times. Saw my vascular surgeon, he said that would PROBABLY clear up when the swelling/edema (fluid retention) in the leg abates, that can take 4-6 months after a TKR, so he said be patient. He didn't even want to ultrasound the veins in the leg because he thinks anything he might surgically approach now will just clear up in a couple of months anyway.

So it's going very well, my goal was to be on the road bicycle by Oct. 1, that seems to be well on track.
Old 09-17-14, 06:32 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Sounds good, so far, Pcad, this is certainly good news from you. I had been following your thread here, and the 41 thread, also, glad that you are doing well with your recovery, keep the faith, brother, Mt. Doom awaits your attacks.

Here is the thread you had attached your updates in to: https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...acement-2.html

Best wishes on the continued recovery and on returning to cycling as much as you used to.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 09-17-14 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-17-14, 06:39 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I found that it's better without pain meds, as the pain comes in more gradually.... With the meds, it hits with a BANG, all at once.
Old 09-17-14, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,030 Times in 4,470 Posts
Hoping for continued improvement, seems like good news so far.
Old 09-17-14, 12:27 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Good luck with continued improvement. Are shorter cranks in your future, at least near-term?
Old 09-17-14, 12:59 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Keep up the good attitude and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Good luck with continued improvement. Are shorter cranks in your future, at least near-term?
No need to purchase complete crank when shortener might work if needed and adjustable. Highpath Engineering : Pulse Crank Shorteners
Old 09-17-14, 02:33 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Sounds like your on the right track Pcad. I cant believe all the guys I know, getting what you got done around here. The recovery time is nothing like it use to be, when I was younger. Which was a long time ago. Anyhow good luck with the riding, it sounds like a winner.
Old 09-17-14, 07:00 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
What is the doctor saying in regard to joint longevity with the added use that cycling will bring?
Old 09-17-14, 08:28 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
My range of motion is about 5º-100º, and as of last Friday I started riding the exercise bike indoors. Takes me 5+ minutes of rocking my legs back and forth until I can get it round the full crank rotation, but on Sunday I actually spun outside on my road bicycle for 20 minutes in the 39 x 25. Still tough however, I'm on the trainer every day for 20 mins or so. Hoping it loosens up enough for me to try the actual road bike within the next 7-10 days, it should.
What crank arm length are you using? A shorter crank arm will require less range of motion, and thus might be easier to use.
Old 09-17-14, 10:13 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
... long time cyclist, many years of amateur racing, 7-14K miles annually for the better part of 25 years now ...
If that's the life expectancy of a cyclists knees, I'm not likely to wear mine out in my lifetime with the annual mileage I'm riding.

Perhaps you can slow down on the recovery and give me a chance to catch up with the number of miles you've ridden. Kidding. Best wishes.
Old 09-17-14, 11:12 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Shorter cranks aren't necessary, I'm confident I'll have enough range of motion for the 172.5. I doubt cycling shortens a bionic knee's half-life much if at all, which with today's technology could be 20-30 years +. My surgeon has an employee who is now about 70, he did both her knees in 1994 (20 years) and those TKRs are still fine. Today's implants are considerably improved, so it's possible my bionic knee could last the rest of my days.
Old 09-18-14, 05:31 AM
Semper Fi

As cycling is a recommended form of activity for TKR recipients I'd venture to say you won't wear it out with your riding, Pcad. Even your mileage and the racing/hill work you usually do shouldn't phase the knee hardware. As you mentioned, the newer units have improved materials and design from the original types and most of them are going strong to this day. My friends with TKR have all had success with theirs, none had to be reworked or replaced and they are all active in some way. The improvements in the materials for the knee replacement's structure where they bear on each other have made the life expectancy much longer, now. Thankfully!

If it ever became necessary for me to have a TKR, I'd go through with the surgery as soon as the physician said it was necessary, I don't want to make things more painful and more difficult by putting things off. I have played that hand before and it is a poor choice. Best of luck with your return to cycling, Pcad.

Bill

Old 09-18-14, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wish you a fast recovery!
Old 09-18-14, 03:52 PM

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Regarding cycling and TKR wear. I met today my my surgeon (a cyclist also) and scheduled a TKR for January. We also talked about cycling and prothesis wear post TKR. He commented that there is the possibility that an increased level of activity such as cycling a couple hundred miles a week increases the potential for wear and failure, primarily in the materials used to attach the prothesis to the bone. However, he commented that knowing how much I plan to cycle post TKR, he would suggest more frequent monitoring post TKR and early identification of potential problems that he believes can be relatively easily addressed. He gave me some confidence that if there are problems because of higher mileage cycling, then these can be addressed without revision surgery. There is hope......
Old 09-18-14, 04:33 PM
... part of the machine.

Bikes: '15 Raleigh Willard 2, '14 Lynskey Sportive, '10 Lynskey R230, '?? Burley Duet Tandem, various others in various states of mobility.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metalheart44
Regarding cycling and TKR wear. I met today my my surgeon (a cyclist also) and scheduled a TKR for January. We also talked about cycling and prothesis wear post TKR. He commented that there is the possibility that an increased level of activity such as cycling a couple hundred miles a week increases the potential for wear and failure, primarily in the materials used to attach the prothesis to the bone. However, he commented that knowing how much I plan to cycle post TKR, he would suggest more frequent monitoring post TKR and early identification of potential problems that he believes can be relatively easily addressed. He gave me some confidence that if there are problems because of higher mileage cycling, then these can be addressed without revision surgery. There is hope......
I had both knees replaced in July 2012, and began riding on the road again on Labor Day of that year. I have ridden many many miles since ... 7000 miles and 300,000 feet of climbing per year since July 2013. my surgeon said the same thing ... anything that causes a problem would be relatively easy to repair. So far, I have had no issues doing 200 miles per week. including being the first person to climb Mt. Washington with TKR (double), this past Aug. 16.

More info on my cycling with knee replacements can be found here: https://www.tek-kneescycling.com
Old 09-19-14, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too had TKR and have been more than fortunate in the recovery process. Surgery 8/19/14. Home 8/21/14. Last day to use walker 8/25/14. Skipped the cane altogether. Staples out 9/3/14. Returned to work part time 9/3/14. Did PT three times a week from date of surgery to 9/17/14, then kicked out of PT as I was at all goals. 0 to 122 degrees, < 145 CM knee circumference (very little swelling left) pain < 2 on 0 to 10. No real problems doing anything I want or need to do at this point. Started riding stationary bike 9/3/14, now up to 30 minutes on bike, still doing several strengthening exercises - squat row, abductions and adductions etc. with resistance. See doc again at 6 weeks post op, expect to be able to ride a real bike at that time.

Last edited by Terrierman; 09-19-14 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-19-14, 10:42 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by the engine
I had both knees replaced in July 2012, and began riding on the road again on Labor Day of that year. I have ridden many many miles since ... 7000 miles and 300,000 feet of climbing per year since July 2013. my surgeon said the same thing ... anything that causes a problem would be relatively easy to repair. So far, I have had no issues doing 200 miles per week. including being the first person to climb Mt. Washington with TKR (double), this past Aug. 16.
What's your age?
Old 09-19-14, 10:56 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
I've known many ski friends who have joint replacements, mostly knees.
Only one serious cyclist - a mtb'er who went at it hard. Probably met some trees.
I am not comparing the two sports in any manner (cycling/skiing)
When you start your recovery, slow is best for longer results.
You have to learn to listen differently to the body, or with new considerations.
Maybe try a shorter crank/maybe wedges for angle are needed/check leg length?
But some bionic people are not afraid of future failure.
Sprinters can really apply strong forces at the knee.
Old 09-19-14, 04:55 PM
... part of the machine.

Bikes: '15 Raleigh Willard 2, '14 Lynskey Sportive, '10 Lynskey R230, '?? Burley Duet Tandem, various others in various states of mobility.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
What's your age?
I am 54 ... 52 when I had the replacements.

As a matter of fact, I just got in from a 200k, and did a 100k yesterday ... 240 miles this week. No knee issues whatsoever.

That's my experience, everyone is different.
Old 09-19-14, 05:08 PM
... part of the machine.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing to consider ...

When you have knee replacements, the metal pieces used to cap the femur and tibia are made of tantalum. This is a porous metal. As your bones recover from being cut, and the metal parts glued and screwed to them, they grow into the metal and become a very solid joint. This takes time for the body to do, so the most likely time for a stress issue would be the first few years of recovery. Beyond that it is fairly unlikely you would have a stress injury at the connection between the bones and the prosthetics.

As for wear. The metal caps never touch each other, They are separated by a plastic disc which acts like the cartilage you used to have. The plastic will wear out. Most likely, by the time it wears to a point which replacement is needed, the procedure will be a very simple one.

So, go off and enjoy your new knees. You may be limited in some of the things you can do, compared to what you used to do ... as a cyclist, get out there and ride. Take it slow, listen to your knees they'll let you know when they need a break. In the long run, you will be able to do everything you did in the past.

Again, I'm not a doctor, I'm just passing along my own experience. Everyone will have slightly different results.
Old 09-19-14, 09:43 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Can't find the original thread about my total knee replacement operation (TKR) on August 6th, so I started a new one. I'm 56 (I turn 57 in early November), long time cyclist, many years of amateur racing, 7-14K miles annually for the better part of 25 years now. 6 weeks post op as of today. My range of motion is about 5º-100º, and as of last Friday I started riding the exercise bike indoors. Takes me 5+ minutes of rocking my legs back and forth until I can get it round the full crank rotation, but on Sunday I actually spun outside on my road bicycle for 20 minutes in the 39 x 25. Still tough however, I'm on the trainer every day for 20 mins or so. Hoping it loosens up enough for me to try the actual road bike within the next 7-10 days, it should. Pain levels and swelling/edema are dropping, still hurts pretty good sometimes.

One complication has been an exacerbation of an existing circulation issue in the right leg, my venous stasis wound condition is back (google it). Not that bad, but still very painful at times. Saw my vascular surgeon, he said that would PROBABLY clear up when the swelling/edema (fluid retention) in the leg abates, that can take 4-6 months after a TKR, so he said be patient. He didn't even want to ultrasound the veins in the leg because he thinks anything he might surgically approach now will just clear up in a couple of months anyway.

So it's going very well, my goal was to be on the road bicycle by Oct. 1, that seems to be well on track.
Dang, I wish I was 57 again. Hope you have a fast recovery.
Old 09-19-14, 10:10 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by roccobike
Dang, I wish I was 57 again. Hope you have a fast recovery.
'Dang'?
Old 09-21-14, 10:11 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

I rode the bicycle outdoors last Sunday and then the whole next week the knee flexion felt tighter and more difficult, which surprised me, so I backed off and just stayed on the trainer 15-20 mins daily. Today it felt looser. On the other hand the extension (opposite of bending, straight out) got better @ physical therapy this week, they pushed me down to 1-2º, the goal is 0º resting (straight out), I was @ 5º resting this week, I'm pretty confident that's better than it was before the knee replacement. I'll be on the road bike regularly pretty soon, and once I can do that, it should exponentially help the rehab. If I can get out there 30-40 mins 3-4x a week I can build back up to daily rides.
Old 09-21-14, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
It's good to hear the procedure and recovery are going fairly well. I wouldn't worry about cycling causing any undo stress on the new joint since they're designed for some rather hefty folks who put more load on them with each walking step than you do when dialed up to 400 W. Then again, didn't you used to have a tag line that said something about being too fat for this sport, or was that just me projecting?
Old 09-22-14, 05:35 AM
Semper Fi

Great news from Pcad again, it won't be long before you are showing those massive guads to the locals once again, and slaying Mt. Doom regularly.

Glad that things are sailing along for you, Pcad, recovery gets old at times as it stretches out. Seems you are doing things the right way.

Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.