Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: PCad TKR Update

My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

PCad TKR Update

Can't find the original thread about my total knee replacement operation (TKR) on August 6th, so I started a new one. I'm 56 (I turn 57 in early November), long time cyclist, many years of amateur racing, 7-14K miles annually for the better part of 25 years now. 6 weeks post op as of today. My range of motion is about 5-100, and as of last Friday I started riding the exercise bike indoors. Takes me 5+ minutes of rocking my legs back and forth until I can get it round the full crank rotation, but on Sunday I actually spun outside on my road bicycle for 20 minutes in the 39 x 25. Still tough however, I'm on the trainer every day for 20 mins or so. Hoping it loosens up enough for me to try the actual road bike within the next 7-10 days, it should. Pain levels and swelling/edema are dropping, still hurts pretty good sometimes.

One complication has been an exacerbation of an existing circulation issue in the right leg, my venous stasis wound condition is back (google it). Not that bad, but still very painful at times. Saw my vascular surgeon, he said that would PROBABLY clear up when the swelling/edema (fluid retention) in the leg abates, that can take 4-6 months after a TKR, so he said be patient. He didn't even want to ultrasound the veins in the leg because he thinks anything he might surgically approach now will just clear up in a couple of months anyway.

So it's going very well, my goal was to be on the road bicycle by Oct. 1, that seems to be well on track.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good, so far, Pcad, this is certainly good news from you. I had been following your thread here, and the 41 thread, also, glad that you are doing well with your recovery, keep the faith, brother, Mt. Doom awaits your attacks.

Here is the thread you had attached your updates in to: Biking after total knee replacement

Best wishes on the continued recovery and on returning to cycling as much as you used to.

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 09-17-14 at 06:40 AM.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that it's better without pain meds, as the pain comes in more gradually.... With the meds, it hits with a BANG, all at once.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hoping for continued improvement, seems like good news so far.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck with continued improvement. Are shorter cranks in your future, at least near-term?

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep up the good attitude and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Good luck with continued improvement. Are shorter cranks in your future, at least near-term?
    No need to purchase complete crank when shortener might work if needed and adjustable. Highpath Engineering : Pulse Crank Shorteners

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like your on the right track Pcad. I cant believe all the guys I know, getting what you got done around here. The recovery time is nothing like it use to be, when I was younger. Which was a long time ago. Anyhow good luck with the riding, it sounds like a winner.
    George