Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Talk About ..."A Cool Forum Member"?...(check this out)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-14, 04:41 PM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts

At his request?...from here forth I shall refer too the "Fifty Plus Forum Member" (who wishes to remain anonymous) as "Mr. B"...and Mr. B took it upon himself to PM me offering to send me a shop manual of my choosing to help me out in re-entering the world of road biking...as there's much I never knew and even less that I remember...and here I thought he was offering me some old copy he knew by heart but no...this was a brand new copy he ordered, bought and paid for and had shipped too my home address direct from amazon....and I was flabberghasted at the level of his kindness and generosity as he only had two requests...

1. That he remain anonymous and?...

2. That at some point?....I..."Pay It Forward"

and I shall be honored to do both!

That said?...the book I choose (from his suggested list) was "Zinn & The Art Of Road Bike Maintenance" which arrived today! and again?...Thanks So Much Mr. B!

and of course?...of it over 490 pages covering pretty much anything and everything anyone would ever want to know about adjusting and maintaining a road bike?...I went straight to the issue at hand with me and a chapter entitled "Fitment"....and?...wow!....extremely educational and informative with step by step instructions...

as it was then (following the instructions) that I realized they are in a specific order for a reason which made me realize (in a very glaring way) just how badly I had been chasing my tail with continual adjustments that got me nowhere based on "what felt good"...so the tape measure came out and measurements were taken...and then the step by step instructions (complete with mathematical formulas) were followed, calculated and executed...and it wasn't until all adjustments were completed that I uploaded the pix for this post that I realized...

"HEY!....My Bike Now Looks EXACTLY Like The One On The Cover!"

and now?...I'm going out for what will hopefully be a 10 mile test ride before the sun goes down but adjustments included realizing that my '04 Giant OCR3 has a frame just a touch too large for me as my boys just barely touch the top tube on the stand-over test...so compensations were made to accommodate as this also meant that my top tube was just a touch too long...so I maxed the seat out forward to compensate and also got my calculated seat height dialed in at 31.61 from the center of the pedal post too top of seat (with a 29" inseam) and I dropped the bars a full 1 1/2"s to get the recommended starting place of the top of the handlebar being 4cm lower than the seat and erred to the side of adjusted for comfort rather than "time trial set-up" numbers but it all made sense...especially the part about how dropping the bars takes weight off the butt and I also put a slight forward rake on the seat to make room for the boys!

Thanks again Mr. B! (and everyone else who has helped me along here)...you folks Rock!....abnd now my shorts are going on and I'm going out...to see what riding a road bike is supposed to feel like! L8R, Bill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
zinn1.jpg (99.0 KB, 34 views)
zinn2.jpg (38.9 KB, 22 views)
zinn3.jpg (64.1 KB, 47 views)
Old 09-18-14, 05:07 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Glad to have you in the forum Jinks.
Old 09-18-14, 05:28 PM

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
So if you're still looking to pay it forward, I've always wanted that book...

Just sayin'
Old 09-18-14, 05:46 PM

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2009 Specialized Hard Rock 29er, 1989 Cannondale w/Campy Nuovo Record Components (mostly anway, now just on the trainer) and Easy Racer Recumbent (home made from plans)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you ride it with the seat like that? When mine was in that position due to a somewhat loose bolt I felt like I was always sliding forward. I finally stopped at a service station to borrow a wrench.

Bill
Old 09-18-14, 06:25 PM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Originally Posted by Zinger
Glad to have you in the forum Jinks.
Thanks Zinger!

Originally Posted by LongT
Did you ride it with the seat like that? When mine was in that position due to a somewhat loose bolt I felt like I was always sliding forward. I finally stopped at a service station to borrow a wrench.

Bill
Yep...sure did ride that seat like that...matter fact?...I just got back from my longest ride yet (since quitting smoking 2 1/2 weeks ago and have type II diabetes at 56 years old)...and completed (4) 2.5 miles laps of my local hood loop here for 10 miles in 46 minutes averaging just over 13mph and here's the differences I noticed....

1. If you blindfolded me?...I would've sworn it was a different bike..."That" different....and I might Note at this point that I was very skeptical of whether or not I'd complete the first 2.5 mile lap as just judging by looks alone?...it appeared intimidatingly uncomfortable as it is a far more aggressive "LOOKING" configuration than I can ever recall swinging a leg over before but such was not the case and?...

2. One of the first things I noticed was the improved "Roll Quality"...as apparently?...I've always had too much weight on the rear wheel and with this more aggressive weight forward position here?...I could immediately feel that my body weight was now more equally and evenly distributed over BOTH wheels which made the bike feel like it was actually "rolling better" which in turn?...(and I mean that quite literally! LOL!)...brings me to point....

3. "Improved Steering": as with more weight forward?...(where apparently it should be and the bike was designed for)...on my first turn I couldn't help but notice how much smoother things went with no choppy mid-turn corrections...as with more weight on the front wheel?...my steering was far more predictable, stable and intuitive feeling hence smoother and more controlled.

4. "More Power In The Pedals": In effect?....the more my body weight gets closer too properly positioned over the crank set?...the easier the bike seems to pedal via body weight and gravity.

LongT...yes...it didn't happen until the last 2.5 mile lap but yes....as my legs began to weaken?...my butt bones did start (but just barely) sliding forward...I also noticed that when I went low on the bars?...that my sit bones were headed off the back of the seat...so yeah....there's just a touch too much forward rake on it right now and?..it could stand to be moved back a mark or two but for a first attempt at proper adjustment?...I'm pretty pleased with the results but I'm not going to get to fussy with the seat just yet as I just might finally spring for a high ender tomorrow.

Overall?...I'm calling this a major success and all thanks to Mr. B's kind and generous gesture as I had no clue just how lost I was until I got some professional guidance...Thanks all!, Ride Safe and L8R, Bill.

Last edited by Jinkster; 09-18-14 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-19-14, 12:16 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by eastbay71

Just sayin'
Nothing wrong with asking?
@Jinks now that's what I'm talkin' about!
Old 09-19-14, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by eastbay71

Just sayin'
PM Sent, PM Recieved.

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Nothing wrong with asking?
@Jinks now that's what I'm talkin' about!
And I believe he may agree OldsCOOL!

Meanwhile...back on the farm?...The insanity continues but I believe it has finally come to an end as far as "Seat's & Set-up" are concerned as I upgraded today with a "Specialized Romin Evo Comp Gel"...reason being?...when I slid back far enough to get proper support on my 10 miler last night with that $30 KRYT (aka cheap seat #2 )?...it's sharp edge was cutting into me right where inner thigh meets my pelvic area...right where my fingers pointing...

And I didn't mind spending the $100 + tax at all as this time I went too a different LBS...a place called "Spockets" (in Port Saint Lucie) where a very nice and fit blond lady informed me that she was a professionally trained bike fitter and after her hearing my short story?...told me that the first thing we needed to do was measure my butt for proper seat fitment which she did by having me sit on this memory foam gauge and dropping the two steel balls into the indentations and she claimed I was right in between a 143 and a 155 seat width size then suggested I go with the 155 (to insure proper support) and that if it rubs or I don't like it for any reason?...just bring it back within the first week and it can be exchanged any other specialized saddle I may prefer and since just about everyone I showed the pic of my first set-up to busted me for not having a level seat?....not anymore!!! LOL!

It's been storming and drizzling here so I haven't gotten a chance to ride it yet but I'm sure digging the looks of it and if it feels as good as it looks?...I'll be able to ride all day and I'm sure looking forward to that!

Thanks again everyoe for your help, guidance and motivation...today makes day 18 of no cigarettes so hopefully me and my diabetic legs have a future again!

Ride Safe and L8R, Bill.
Attached Images
rominevo1.jpg (41.8 KB, 10 views)
rominevo2.jpg (48.5 KB, 6 views)
rominevo3.jpg (101.2 KB, 12 views)
rominevo4.jpg (50.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-19-14, 04:25 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek 7.3FX,2015 Trek Domane 4.5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow!

I'm really impressed with this entire story. From start to finish its full of win!
Old 09-19-14, 05:33 PM

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2009 Specialized Hard Rock 29er, 1989 Cannondale w/Campy Nuovo Record Components (mostly anway, now just on the trainer) and Easy Racer Recumbent (home made from plans)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinkster
Thanks Zinger!

Yep...sure did ride that seat like that...matter fact?...I just got back from my longest ride yet (since quitting smoking 2 1/2 weeks ago and have type II diabetes at 56 years old)...and completed (4) 2.5 miles laps of my local hood loop here for 10 miles in 46 minutes averaging just over 13mph and here's the differences I noticed....

1. If you blindfolded me?...I would've sworn it was a different bike..."That" different....and I might Note at this point that I was very skeptical of whether or not I'd complete the first 2.5 mile lap as just judging by looks alone?...it appeared intimidatingly uncomfortable as it is a far more aggressive "LOOKING" configuration than I can ever recall swinging a leg over before but such was not the case and?...

2. One of the first things I noticed was the improved "Roll Quality"...as apparently?...I've always had too much weight on the rear wheel and with this more aggressive weight forward position here?...I could immediately feel that my body weight was now more equally and evenly distributed over BOTH wheels which made the bike feel like it was actually "rolling better" which in turn?...(and I mean that quite literally! LOL!)...brings me to point....

3. "Improved Steering": as with more weight forward?...(where apparently it should be and the bike was designed for)...on my first turn I couldn't help but notice how much smoother things went with no choppy mid-turn corrections...as with more weight on the front wheel?...my steering was far more predictable, stable and intuitive feeling hence smoother and more controlled.

4. "More Power In The Pedals": In effect?....the more my body weight gets closer too properly positioned over the crank set?...the easier the bike seems to pedal via body weight and gravity.

LongT...yes...it didn't happen until the last 2.5 mile lap but yes....as my legs began to weaken?...my butt bones did start (but just barely) sliding forward...I also noticed that when I went low on the bars?...that my sit bones were headed off the back of the seat...so yeah....there's just a touch too much forward rake on it right now and?..it could stand to be moved back a mark or two but for a first attempt at proper adjustment?...I'm pretty pleased with the results but I'm not going to get to fussy with the seat just yet as I just might finally spring for a high ender tomorrow.

Overall?...I'm calling this a major success and all thanks to Mr. B's kind and generous gesture as I had no clue just how lost I was until I got some professional guidance...Thanks all!, Ride Safe and L8R, Bill.
I guess that is why I never, well rarely, comment about other peoples set-ups or riding positions. Everybody is different! I also don't recommend restaurants

Bill
Old 09-19-14, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1loosemoose
Wow!

I'm really impressed with this entire story. From start to finish its full of win!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by LongT
I guess that is why I never, well rarely, comment about other peoples set-ups or riding positions. Everybody is different! I also don't recommend restaurants

Bill
Well imho?...you should comment more often LongT as your advice to me was certainly spot-on!
Old 09-20-14, 07:29 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
I have learned a great deal and met some delightful folks through BF. (My other favorite online forum is Passatworld, a friend and major money saver and problem solver for every VW/Audi owner.)

There is a clothing and accessory company named Capoforma. Knowing about my Capo (no relationship whatsoever) bicycles, one of the C&V guys grabbed a CAPO-labeled water bottle on eBay and mailed it to me, all at his own expense, refusing any remuneration. It was a very nice gesture, and the bottle looks great on the bicycle.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-22-14, 07:46 PM

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinkster
PM Sent, PM Recieved.

And I believe he may agree OldsCOOL!
So in my mailbox today I found the book I've been drooling over at the LBS, Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance thanks to Jinkster paying it forward. Big thanks to him for keeping the spirit of the gift alive. I was amazed at how fast it arrived until I remembered the new Amazon fulfillment center that was built close by. They probably knew I as getting the book before Jinkster. I'm flipping through and learning a few things already! Like you should use carbon grip compound on your seat post. As I promised Jinkster, I will pay it forward also to another forum member. Just reply to this thread and say you will do the same.