Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Led the First Seniors' Bicycle Ride for our church in Parker today. Only 6, but we had a great time. My wife and I are in the bright jackets.

DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

scofflaw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great photo! I hope you all enjoyed your ride! today Spring made her appearance in the Pacific Northwest. Did 20 mile ride after work, ( thank you Day Light Saving Time). Saw many lovely people, male, female, canine, enjoying the late afternoon.

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thumbs up!! No disasters?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Six is a pretty good turn out for your first Seniors' Ride. It seems that it takes a few to start, then the word gets out how fun it is and it grows from there. How often are you going to ride? Also, those jackets that you and your wife are wearing are very colorful, where can I get one?
    "If the funk fits you gotta dance."
    Bob Roll

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Revenig
    Six is a pretty good turn out for your first Seniors' Ride. It seems that it takes a few to start, then the word gets out how fun it is and it grows from there. How often are you going to ride? Also, those jackets that you and your wife are wearing are very colorful, where can I get one?
    The jackets are from the Santa Fe Century last year! They are Tyvek - probably not what you might call a "long-lasting" material. But they are very light, compress into a small space, and are surprisingly warm. They don't "breathe."

We will be alternating riding and walking each week for now. Here is a picture of our first walk last week.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-06-05 at 06:36 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Lemond Buenos Aries, Gary Fisher Tassajara, Trek 4500, plus many more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    I Led the First Seniors' Bicycle Ride for our church in Parker today
    That's what I have to find, a bunch of seniors more in my age group that want to enjoy the scenery a little instead of racing along at 20+ mph. Are there any such people around Atlanta?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jabike
    That's what I have to find, a bunch of seniors more in my age group that want to enjoy the scenery a little instead of racing along at 20+ mph. Are there any such people around Atlanta?
    Well, we went pretty slow, far, far slower than I am used to going. I couldn't help it and on the way back, where we had a clear section, got the old (1998, 10,000 miles) very used mtn bike up to 27 mph for a short distance. Just got a bit frustrated at 10-12 mph or less. Then, I had to slow way down and wait for the rest of the group, but it did feel really great to open it up wide, put the hammer to the floor - whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan
    Thumbs up!! No disasters?
    Nope. Thing is, I know these people well socially in the church. We do a lot of things together already. That makes it a bit more difficult to assume the "leader" role.

But, no disasters.

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Well, we went pretty slow, far, far slower than I am used to going. I couldn't help it and on the way back, where we had a clear section, got the old (1998, 10,000 miles) very used mtn bike up to 27 mph for a short distance. Just got a bit frustrated at 10-12 mph or less. Then, I had to slow way down and wait for the rest of the group, but it did feel really great to open it up wide, put the hammer to the floor - whatever!
    You've got to control that urge! In this case, it's about them, not you!

I did a demonstration ride for tour guide students. One of the guys was right into "it". I issued specific instructions about staying with the group. Later he said: "I enjoyed that. There was no pressure. I saw things I didn't see before. It was quite relaxing".

Take it on board. I know <touches nose in *very* knowing way>

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan
    You've got to control that urge! In this case, it's about them, not you!

I did a demonstration ride for tour guide students. One of the guys was right into "it". I issued specific instructions about staying with the group. Later he said: "I enjoyed that. There was no pressure. I saw things I didn't see before. It was quite relaxing".

Take it on board. I know <touches nose in *very* knowing way>
    I only did it for a minute or so, and I could still see the group. No one actually knew. "The Devil Made me Do It"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would that be the Sante Fe New Mexico century? I rode that a couple years back in the 80's, nice but demanding.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe50
    Would that be the Sante Fe New Mexico century? I rode that a couple years back in the 80's, nice but demanding.
    Yes, the Sante Fe New Mexico century.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-10-05 at 05:59 AM.