Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone here taking Losarten potassium?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-14, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I recently started taking Losartan potassium. If you recognize the name you know it is a blood pressure med that acts like an ace inhibitor rather than a beta blocker. It relaxes the blood vessels to lower pressure rather than reducing heart rate.

It has worked well in its role in reducing my blood pressure but it has had some strange effects. I do a Wednesday group ride that is very much like a fartlek workout. Some hills. some flats. some fast surges. What I am experiencing is something like a massive lactic acid buildup about an hour into the ride and after a couple of the hard hill pushes. I am good for a while and can ride the hills hard and then suddenly I can't go at all and my legs tighten up like I have done a hard sprint uphill and gone very anaerobic. It is the whole leg, not just the quads. Funny thing is that my breathing is not stressed. Once this happens I am pretty much done and can't get out of my own way. Before I started taking this drug I did not experience this.

One of the side effects on the label is muscle weakness. I am hoping it is temporary until by body gets used to it.

Has anyone else here had this kind of experience with Losarten potassium.
Old 09-25-14, 10:28 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Although I'm a fellow heart guy (ace, beta, etc.) I haven't tried a straight Potassium supplement. However I do know that Potassium in the diet should be roughly a ratio of 2:1 with Sodium. Is it possible you're low on salts? It's easy to get depleted at the best of times when exercising.
Old 09-26-14, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
RSKDR1 - I recently started taking losartan potassium on the advice of my cardiologist (heart attack). I noticed none of the affects you mentioned, but I'm still in recovery mode. Stating the obvious, learn all you can and talk to your doc.
Old 09-26-14, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NVanHiker
Although I'm a fellow heart guy (ace, beta, etc.) I haven't tried a straight Potassium supplement. However I do know that Potassium in the diet should be roughly a ratio of 2:1 with Sodium. Is it possible you're low on salts? It's easy to get depleted at the best of times when exercising.
It is not a straight potassium supplement. It has potassium in it. It is possible though that I am low on salt. Maybe an electrolite replacement with some salt will help.
Old 09-26-14, 10:59 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
The first thing I would do is let your cardiologist know what's going on. It could be a simple dosage issue due to your active lifestyle and may require a dosage adjustment. When my first Leukemia medication quit working, my oncologist put me on a new drug and started me at the normal starting dosage for this medication. Two weeks later, I did an MS 150 and didn't know if I could finish it or not. I've been doing MS 150's for several years and never had a problem. It turns out that the medication at the dosage I was prescribed was too high for people that are very athletic and it dropped my red cell count and hemoglobin levels to where I wasn't getting enough oxygen transported during exercise. It took almost two months of screwing around with dosages to find the right combination but I've not had a problem since. I wouldn't wait too long before contacting your cardiologist if you plan to continue riding long and/or fast rides. This medication may be affecting more than just your electrolyte levels.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 09-27-14, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I'm taking Losartan Potassium 100mg - and it is properly controlling my blood pressure (getting back into bike riding also helped, dropping some weight) I've been doing so for about a year and a half. No side effects as you mentioned. Although I went through a handful others before settling on this one as working, due to side effects (e.g., cough with Losinopril and rash with HCTZ) - Echo John V's sentiment about seeing your cardiologist

Good luck - Joe
Old 09-29-14, 07:00 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jcb3
I'm taking Losartan Potassium 100mg - and it is properly controlling my blood pressure (getting back into bike riding also helped, dropping some weight) I've been doing so for about a year and a half. No side effects as you mentioned. Although I went through a handful others before settling on this one as working, due to side effects (e.g., cough with Losinopril and rash with HCTZ) - Echo John V's sentiment about seeing your cardiologist

Good luck - Joe
You're lucky you don't have chronic sinus congestion with the Losartin. Yet.