Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ride report: Salsa Colossal (steel)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-14, 08:09 AM
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

After I had to hit the ditch in August, I hung the bike up in the garage and haven't ridden it: I believe it now has bad juju! The local bike shop was clearing out the 2014 floor models, some good deals! The owner had been riding a Salsa Colossal Ti on his group rides and raving about it. Another local, who is a Salsa Brand Ambassador (?) was also riding a Colossal and he too was raving about it! While in the shop, I saw the "Sale! 30% off" on one of the floor model Colossal. My old bike is a 54, this was a 56. My old bike was a Aluminum frame with carbon stays and fork, this was steel, with carbon fork. The Colossal also sports road disc brakes. "Will it fit me? Well, most folks can be fit on two sizes, bring the old bike in and we can compare.

I was back rather quickly, and sure enough, they lined up very close. He adjusted the bar and seat height and off I went on a test ride. I was impressed that it felt like a light bike, even though it was a couple pounds heavier than mine.

Sold!

I have now ridden it over 700 miles, and here are my impressions:
The ride is very comfortable. It sports 28mm tires and I run them between 95-100 psi.
The fit is better than my old bike, I felt stretched out, but not so on this bike.
The disc brakes are flawless. I had them on another bike in the past (Kona Sutra touring bike) and like them, a lot.
I still have the stock saddle on it, no problems with it. Not sure if I will ever put my Fizik on it!
It sports the Shimano 105 group set, with compact crank. Not as slick as the Ultegra on my old bike, but stable and sure, none the less. Possible upgrade down the road.

It rides like a champ, very stable. I can no hand it at any speed, it tracks straight and true! With the larger tires and stout rimes, I experience a "gyroscope" like effect at speed, mostly downhills. The faster the speed, the more effort required to turn. I need to use more body as it won't flick to a new line like a lighter "race" bike. Riding in the wind the other day, I was blown around more than the old bike. My guess is the larger tire/rim along with the discs catch more wind. Like deep v aero rims, I guess.

The bike is billed as a bike for long rides on pavement, Randonneuring, endurance riding. My longest ride so far has only been about 50 miles, but felt as good at the end as at the beginning. I used to experience mild back pain, but not since I began riding this bike. Makes me think that stretched out position on the old bike was causing it! So if anyone is looking for a comfortable long distance bike, and not a lightweight race bike, I can heartily recommend the Salsa Colossal.
Colossal | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

Last edited by dannwilliams; 10-16-14 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-16-14, 10:22 AM

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the review / report!

Good deal on the bike, it looks like a nice ride.

I love this line from their website:
Colossal is for riders who look forward to lying down on the floor in their salty riding kit with tired legs, looking at a map and realizing just how far they rode.

Colossal. Eat a big breakfast.
Old 10-16-14, 01:01 PM
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bruised
Colossal. Eat a big breakfast.
Stem cap:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55553367@N00/15212513436/
Old 01-25-15, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You report may have cost them a sale of a Ti version, in favor of the steel version. I was torn between the two but your glowing report makes me consider saving the $1600 of the steel version to be a better path for me.
Old 01-25-15, 03:38 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried one recently and really liked it. Very smooth ride and the fit was perfect. I want one but I just can't convince myself that I ride enough to justify the expense. I keep remembering what my good friend says, "at our age, you need to use the good stuff."
Old 01-25-15, 07:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My hopes were dashed today. I went to my local shop to order a steel 56 and was told they are out of stock for the foreseeable future. Could be weeks or months. The store manager is meeting with QBP in three weeks and hopes to get more info for me then.

This appears to be an East Coast thing only due to the San Diego dock worker strike. The frames can be unloaded but not reloaded to new ships for the journey to the East Coast.
Old 01-25-15, 08:30 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
It's the first steel frame I've seen with a tapered headset, using a larger bearing at the fork crown. Salsa does a great job with their bikes.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-26-15, 10:34 AM

Bikes: GT Carbon Grade, Jamis Nova Pro, Giant Sedona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice review. I need to find one to take for a spin.
Old 03-13-16, 06:24 PM
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Another winter had me doing a little more work on this fine bike! Trying to keep the bling factor going, I added red anodized chainring bolts to the crank. And the gang from the shop finally talked me into upgrading the wheels. Bike came with stout, heavy 32 spoke wheels. I plan to keep these as I want to give inroad bikepacking a go this year. Be a bit lighter than my touring bike. So the new wheels for the Colossal are custom hand built jewels!

Red anodized (of course!) Hope Pro 4 hubs 24 hole with matching red anodized spider Hope rotors, titanium bolts to secure them
DT Swiss R460 rims
11-28 Ultegra 10 speed cassette
Red Anodized (of course!) nipples
Black spokes not sure the brand
Clement tires, read a lot of good things about this brand, thought I'd give them a tray

That should complete it for this year, unless maybe I put my fizik saddle on, from my old bike.

I was talked into the lower spoke count wheels and I'm hoping they are durable. In the past I have not had good luck, but I am down quite a bit lighter since then, so here's hoping... I've put a hundred miles on the wheels, and liking them. The tires are narrower than the Conti GP4000s on the old wheels, and these wheels are tubeless ready if I choose to give that a try.

And in case you can't tell, I LOVE THIS BIKE!!

https://flic.kr/p/DnbwLN
https://flic.kr/p/EgpbZF
https://flic.kr/p/EFRgJ1
https://flic.kr/p/FftAFD

Last edited by dannwilliams; 03-17-16 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-09-17, 10:04 PM

Bikes: way too many

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
a year (or three) later and your post is still useful. it's hard to find reviews on the Colossal, so thanks for posting. interesting bike, for sure.
Old 04-11-17, 08:36 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked 4,853 Times in 2,239 Posts
...and I thought everyone in Wisconsin rode Treks. Isn't that a state law?
Old 04-11-17, 12:27 PM
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Colossal, not afraid to get down and dirty..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
25212023846_cae011bdf1_z.jpg (78.3 KB, 112 views)