Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm curious....How many here haven't succombed to electronic gizmo's?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I'm curious....How many here haven't succombed to electronic gizmo's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-14, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
As many have also done, my use of a Huret tic, tic, ticking away was the beginning of my record keeping. Then came the Multito followed by wired then no wires.

Today I have a Garmin 910XT and doubt I will go any farther towards a Power Meter or other electronics since they would not fair too well during a 2.4 mile swim before the 112 then 26.2.
Back in the 1970's whe I started cycling, a high tech nuclear engineer I knew came up with a low tech modification. He fashioned a hard plastic striker to silence the device.
Old 11-10-14, 07:10 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I hadn't thought to associate it with spiritualism, that's an interesting twist for me to work on for a while. I used to use a cycle computer to monitor my seasonal mileage. Then, when gasoline passed $2 a gallon, I found myself reaching my mileage goals in July and decided it was useless. I now use a tablet or cellular phone for access to maps when traveling but that's as electronic as I will get. Even while touring, I think the gadgets are more distracting than useful. Some people I've ridden with are insane about it.

I think the phones are great because you can put them away, forget about them, but use them for reference when it's convenient.
Marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0829.JPG (7.5 KB, 137 views)
Old 11-10-14, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I'm not religious and I'm not a luddite, but I use no electronics. I'd sort of like to see cadence, but the desire is not strong enough to compel me to add any sensors.
Old 11-10-14, 08:35 PM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've succumbed. I wear an electronic gizmo on my wrist. It tells me the time, and I can even set it to show how long I've been riding. Yeah, I'm a numbers freak.
Old 11-10-14, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I got a bike odometer/speedometer for Christmas back in the 1950s. It was a useless little thing. Don't need a bike/computer/power meter/GPS, because my bike is for work and shopping. I'm not a Luddite -- it's just that I don't find any utility in these things for me. Then again, I have no interest in most consumer goods.

Paul
Old 11-10-14, 08:47 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
First computer was an Avocet 20 and have not been computer-less since then. Have been using 3 nearly-identical VDO wireless digital computers on my recumbents for several years - distance from sensor to computer too far for most wireless and wires long enough are no fun to deal with. I watch the speed and log daily miles into a spreadsheet. Sometimes look at average trip speed. Have never had cadence features. Got a basic HRM last year and use it occasionally.

Don't consider myself obsessed with e-lectronic stuff or the data it captures. Am considering 'simplifying' my computers by replacing them with a single basic Garmin GPS unit. Making sure one unit is charged regularly sounds simpler than keeping a supply of button cells on hand and replacing them when they unexpectedly fail, which seems frequently with 3 digital wireless units. Followed by re-entering setup info into the computer. Not to mention the sensors/sending units getting knocked out of position on the fork leg.

Electronic shifting? Nah....not for me.
Unless someone will buy it for me.

Last edited by JanMM; 11-10-14 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-10-14, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a couple of Garmins (edge 200 and 705) that I use for navigation.
I do randonneuring events and really hate to read cue sheets.
Old 11-10-14, 10:33 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyril
I have a couple of Garmins (edge 200 and 705) that I use for navigation.
I do randonneuring events and really hate to read cue sheets.
I don't know what I'd think about on brevets if I didn't have to continuously calculate for the odometer offset and remember the next turn name and direction.
Old 11-11-14, 04:56 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
I got a bike odometer/speedometer for Christmas back in the 1950s. It was a useless little thing. Don't need a bike/computer/power meter/GPS, because my bike is for work and shopping. I'm not a Luddite -- it's just that I don't find any utility in these things for me. Then again, I have no interest in most consumer goods.

Paul
Growing up in the 60's I'd always wanted one of those things. That is, until I saw how slow I was going. I soon removed it and went back to guessing.
Old 11-11-14, 11:31 AM
hermit

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off, I can't be dismissed as 'technophobic' as I work on computers pretty much all day.

But when I ride, part of the stuff I'm trying to get away from is the mindless application of technology to every single facet of our lives (you NEED a refrigerator with an internet connection - how else can you monitor your ice cube production 24/7??!?!?)

Not that interested in speed, cadence or distance. I'm familiar with most of the trails I ride, and have good ideas of distance. Road or rail trail ride distances can be figured out on mapmyride if I want to know. Mainly I ride because it feels good and I like to be outside.

I do carry a phone - a concession I had to make on my wife's behalf as she worries about me after several injuries. But it's usually turned off till I need it - and it's a flip phone!!

Steve Z
Old 11-11-14, 11:43 AM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I'm the last person in America without a cell phone, let alone GPS, but as I do a lot of touring I love my wired cycle computer. Average speed is most important because it tells me when I'm going to arrive at my next destination or waypoint. By the way, I've been using a Filzer DZ4L for about ten years on various bikes and I just love it - check it out at Amazon, still an incredible 20 bucks.
Old 11-11-14, 11:44 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
For me, mileage is motivating; at least ten miles to qualify as a "ride"; at least 40 miles for a "long ride." I've occasionally thought that those who disdain cycle computers, are like those who claim, "I'm not religious, but I am spiritual."
I guess I qualify as someone who enjoys riding my bike every time, whether it qualifies as a "ride" or not.

I don't disdain cycle computers or other electronic gizmos, though I suspect an OCD aspect of "tracking" every ride in minute detail as seen in the responses on this and numerous other threads on this list.
Old 11-11-14, 12:46 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I bought a German Made Ciclomaster wired bike computer , back then their wireless version put the computer down on the fork blade,
so the magnetic sensor was in the side of the computer itself.

I adopted that mount for my touring bike, but used the wired sensor , so the computer hid below the cantilever brake on the right side
just above the low rider rack mounted pannier.

I only use the Odometer /trip milage function, on tours , between trips I leave the battery out.

Lots of data addicts into comparing their every ride . i'm not one ..
Old 11-12-14, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
For me, mileage is motivating; at least ten miles to qualify as a "ride"; at least 40 miles for a "long ride." I've occasionally thought that those who disdain cycle computers, are like those who claim, "I'm not religious, but I am spiritual."

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I guess I qualify as someone who enjoys riding my bike every time, whether it qualifies as a "ride" or not.

I don't disdain cycle computers or other electronic gizmos, though I suspect an OCD aspect of "tracking" every ride in minute detail as seen in the responses on this and numerous other threads on this list.
This morning I was searching the BF Archives looking for a previous post, and I came upon this one below, to explain why I consider “tracking” mileage as motivational rather than OCD:

While I like riding my bike, during the nice weather months I may ride up to 12-14 hours per week. My motivation to do so, besides getting to work which has easier alternatives, is for the health benefits. In my busy life it is a sacrifice, but not without those benefits, to expend that much time. I would do very little riding if it was just because I liked to ride.
Old 11-15-14, 02:57 PM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I have bought a wired computer with cadence on clearance. That is hooked up to the Fuji Supreme which does permanent duty on the trainer in the basement. The only thing I am concerned with on the trainer is cadence.

I went for several years without a computer on my road bike but put a $10 wired one on this summer. Usually I ride alone but when I am riding with my wife I need to go her speed, not mine, and with the computer I can lock in to what is comfortable for her and monitor that I am not inching up the speed.
Old 11-15-14, 03:09 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I use my phone and a phone app with a Wahoo RFLKT+ to display the data from the phone. On some of the rides I do, I don't want to be caught in the middle of nowhere without knowing how I got there and how to get back. I would have hated to do my cross-state ride without any data, especially GPS mapping. On my hybrid, riding around the neighborhood, I don't bother.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 11-16-14, 11:50 AM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
I just finally went to a cell phone a couple of months ago. No speedometer or cadence meter or computer on my bikes. Probably never will.
Old 11-16-14, 02:51 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
I'm referring to cycle computers, gps, power meters etc

I keep thinking about climbing out of the dark ages of cycling and getting a wireless computer, but that's only to track my mileage. I'm not sure my speed, cadence, etc. are important numbers to pay attention to.

Sometimes I just feel like I'll become a slave to the numbers if I go electronic.
Me. I have no interest in cycling computers, power meters, heart rate monitors, respiration monitors, or gizmos that receive
messages from the Andromeda Galaxy. I consider such things a distraction and totally un-necessary. I do wear an ANALOG
wristwatch, and yes, I carry a ruggedized cell phone. If they want to sell me a smart phone, all they have to do is offer models
that are more robust than a christmas tree ornament. Then we'll talk.

Wilerat, here is some totally unsolicited advice: Take whatever you were going to spend on a cycling computer, heart rate monitor, power meter, etc.
and instead, invest in a Niterider Lumina Headlight. Money well spent, and night riding opens up a whole new world of cycling pleasure.
Old 11-16-14, 03:19 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Or invest in a Hub Dynamo and wired in LED Head an Taillights . so the trip exceeding the battery run time never happens.
Old 11-17-14, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't get the "succumbed to electronic gizmos"??!

You're on a computer, on the net reading and posting to Bike Forums. To late, everyone here is already enjoying the electronic age of high tech-mania.
Old 11-17-14, 04:16 PM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
I'm torn and it depends on what mood I'm in and what mood I'm in dictates which of my three bikes I ride...

My RB?: I run a catseye padrone and an app on my smartphone called mapmyrun (which works for cycling or walking as well) and for some reason on that bike?...I feel compelled...almost obligated to push myself like I'm in a race at all times.

My newly acquired Hybrid?: The evening I bought it I swung by the LBS for some goodies and automatically grabbed another catseye padrone unit for it but nearly as quickly as I plucked it from the peg?...I asked myself..

"What The Heck Are You Doing?...you got this thing for a light tour/commuting all around pleasure cruiser and you're going to ruin that with this?"

and figured if timing myself on it or knowing things like speed and distance are that important to me?...I'll just run that GPS app on my smartphone...at least this way I'm not ruining the experience staring at it all the time! LOL!

My Trek MB?: Forgeddaboudit....lights, camera, action, FUN!

But at the end of the day?...I must also realize that I need no ones permission or acceptance to do anything I like at anytime...whether it be pleasure cruising on my RB or timing myself on my MB...as to me?...this is the awesome feeling and gift....the freedom and liberty...of biking any which way my little heart desires...whether it be impressing myself by monitoring such things or?...leaving the time clock at work where it belongs and just enjoying some alone time on two wheels.
Old 11-17-14, 04:18 PM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GFish
Don't get the "succumbed to electronic gizmos"??!

You're on a computer, on the net reading and posting to Bike Forums. To late, everyone here is already enjoying the electronic age of high tech-mania.
Best post in three pages!
Old 11-19-14, 06:07 PM

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
I went over to the dark side....I'm riding in the El Tour De Tucson Saturday, and since it's a timed event I wanted something to give me an idea of my progress.

I bought an 11 dollar digital watch with a stopwatch feature.
Old 11-23-14, 03:38 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I went over to the dark side....I'm riding in the El Tour De Tucson Saturday, and since it's a timed event I wanted something to give me an idea of my progress.

I don't know that that exactly qualifies as "succumbing to electronic gizmos," in fact I'm not sure it even qualifies as a gizmo anymore.
Old 11-23-14, 03:50 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts

Making me feel 50+ and then some. But making you look really Retro. I started wearing digital watches in 1981. The Young People don't wear watches anymore, for the most part.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.