Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

face plant

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-14, 07:08 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
face plant

I have been absent from the forum for a while. life gets in the way. I was on a group ride last saturday when I made a mistake. The result was hitting a pole used to keep motorized vehicles from using the path. Ended up with a major face plant. Broken eye socket, broken cheek bone, broken bone in my left hand, road rash in several areas, but especially the face and several stitches in my face and left hand. NOT A GOOD RIDE. I was unconscious for a while but did wake up to see all the blood on the path, all mine. The recovery is going OK. The bike, a Trek Madone 6.5, did not survive.

QUESTION: Does anyone manufacture a helmet with a face guard to protect against face plant injury? At this point I do not care about being fashionable, I just want to try to find some protection.
Old 11-21-14, 07:29 PM
VNA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
So sorry about your accident wishing you a speedy recovery.

I would not be surprised the post was dark in color and in the shade--I "see" them on my local bike paths. I have had several close calls!

A way to improve their visibility is to paint a diamond shape at the base and around them and a couple of lines in the median--our eyes are so focussed on the pavement in front of us and not necessarily above.
Old 11-21-14, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry about your wreck. Hope you have a quick recovery.
Old 11-21-14, 09:00 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Ouch! Heal fast.
Downhill bike helmets are available and may be what you are looking for. For instance, Google found these on Amazon: Robot Check
Old 11-21-14, 09:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Ouch! Heal fast.
Downhill bike helmets are available and may be what you are looking for. For instance, Google found these on Amazon: Robot Check
I appreciate your reply. I did call a helmet mfgr about these helmets and was told these helmets would make some difference, but would not keep the face from hitting the surface. I was told the downhill helmet was not the answer That is why i am still searching. I am hoping some lesser known helmet mfgr has invented the type helmet I am seeking.
g.
Old 11-22-14, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
The closest you'll find is a competition certified helmet, such as ASTM F1952, used together with goggles.

The full face "style" helmets you have no idea if the chin bar does much, if anything. CPSC tests do not test the chin bar.

I'm so sorry that you got caught out badly by one of those f'n bollards - you aren't the first and you won't be the last. This is definitely one of those times you can blame an inanimate object - those things should be removed just about everywhere.

-mr. bill
Old 11-22-14, 07:35 AM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Well?...this is thinking way outside of the box but I'll tell ya what...I've done a lot of martial arts sparring in days gone by and a lot of dirt bike motorcycle riding....and if there's something that can protect your head and your face from a blow?...check this out...and real affordable as well....

Macho Dyna Headgear Clear Face Shield - Low Price of $34.77

and for bonus points?...if you ever run into any Type A personalities along the way?...you're set.
Old 11-22-14, 10:29 AM

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Wow, so sorry to hear about this accident! I've clipped one of those stupid poles before though luckily I wasn't thrown off the bike, but it's easy to miss them. I don't have a clue about the best helmets for face protection though - the linked martial arts gear above looks like it would work provided it didn't interfere with your peripheral vision.
Old 11-22-14, 10:58 AM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by winston63
- the linked martial arts gear above looks like it would work provided it didn't interfere with your peripheral vision.
Also..that linked face gear is just the mask for $35...that attaches too the actual headgear that's not included but?...if you scroll down that page?...you can find the headgear along with a whole bunch of other interesting options including steel face cages complete with with the headgear for reasonable prices (most actually cheaper than a decent bike helmet) and to my eye appear would be far more protective than conventional biking lids.

I know if I get into MB'ing to any dangerous level that I feel the need for headgear I know what I'll be wearing...and I say fine...let'em laugh if they like...and if I get challenged on the legality of such?...that's fine too...I'll go enjoy MB'ing my own (safer) way.
Old 11-22-14, 02:49 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Kona Dew, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, very sorry to hear about your crash. I sure hope you have a speedy recovery and find the right protection for future rides.
Old 11-22-14, 06:20 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I am sorry you had the crash and were injured so severely, the bicycle can be replaced even though its demoralizing to have one destroyed that way. Take care while healing up and keep us posted on how your recovery is going, please.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 11-23-14 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-22-14, 09:42 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Ouch!

No suggestions on a helmet, though much empathy on the injury. I hope you heal quickly.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 11-23-14, 07:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One equipment note I was wearing a pair of Liberty Sport sunglasses with perscription lenses. The major impact was on the left side of my face. The left lense has concrete ground into the surface, but the lense did not break or even crack. I was impressed with the glasses.
Old 11-23-14, 09:31 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
someone posted a helmet w face shield recently i think it was a helmet sold for scooters or MTBs. winter riders would appreciate something like that too. a google search for pictures came up with lots of samples but so many protect the eyes from wind and not necessarily the face from fracture. I know some pro basketball players were face shields. not sure if you want to try that. Bell has this stuff

https://www.bellhelmets.com/powerspor...ields-visiors/
Old 11-23-14, 02:15 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Sorry about your crash!

Sorry, but I don't have any advice regarding an appropriate helmet.

Old 11-23-14, 07:39 PM

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We heard about your accident and hope you are back riding with the Mello's soon.
Old 11-24-14, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery!

I've never seen a purpose built cycling helmet/mask like that, but I have seen girls softball teams where every player is wearing a wire type face mask rather like a catchers mask but not as thick and robust. I think that they also wear the same mask with their batting helmet so you might also be able to wear something like that with a regular bike helmet.

A quick search on 'softball players mask' turned up many masks, this one might do the job: https://www.amazon.com/Bangerz-Softba.../dp/B001DXIZHS

Last edited by RobertL; 11-24-14 at 03:20 AM.
Old 11-24-14, 07:34 AM
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I empathize with you, eight years ago I ground off my cheek bone and had twenty stitches around my right eye, my glasses frame cut a nice circle above my eye and the lens was destroyed, didn't break though.
I woke up as I was being put in ambulance, still don't remember what happened, think something got in front wheel.
Heal fast, get back on your bike, don't give up. Good luck!
Old 11-24-14, 09:22 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Good grief! Hang in there Arkansas!
Old 11-24-14, 10:04 AM

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Get well soon! NO suggestions on an appropriate helmet, but I can tell you tht I ride past a number of bollards on the trails here and quite a few of them have scars to prove they've been struck by cyclists. I have a flat bar bike and there's one section that's guarded by two bollards (why they felt compelled to place two is beyond me). Everytime I pass them I play it real cautious. A slight miscalculation would be catastrophic!
Old 11-24-14, 10:13 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two friends who sustained similiar injuries in the same way... so to this day, I am always cautious transitioning onto bike trails.

Sorry for your injury and I hope you heal up totally soon. One thing I learned (as I have face planted a few times myself) if helmet is positioned properly on your head (ie sitting just above your eyes, straight and level not sitting slightly back on your head) and secured porperly to your head, the intend is to cause the head to turn, thus avoiding a full impact. The only way a helmet cannot help is if you land chin first, then lord help ya!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 11-24-14, 05:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by a77impala
I empathize with you, eight years ago I ground off my cheek bone and had twenty stitches around my right eye, my glasses frame cut a nice circle above my eye and the lens was destroyed, didn't break though.
I woke up as I was being put in ambulance, still don't remember what happened, think something got in front wheel.
Heal fast, get back on your bike, don't give up. Good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement. I am having some second thoughts of riding again, but those thoughts are fading.
Old 11-24-14, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
If you think the feelings are dissipating consider something like the Bell Super 2R. It has a removable chin bar.

-mr. bill
Old 11-24-14, 05:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I visited my GP today. He removed the stitches from my face, but the stiches remain for a couple days in my left hand. He was not surprised that I was having a problem with being dizy.
The doctor's overall visit was positive but cautious. It will be at least 3 weeks until I attempt to ride. The broken bone in my left hand is worrisom as is the diziness.
I also visited the bike shop today to consider a new frame!!!
Old 11-24-14, 05:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
If you think the feelings are dissipating consider something like the Bell Super 2R. It has a removable chin bar.

-mr. bill
A real possability. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.