User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    scofflaw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dropped young heathly male

okay, if any of you have read my previous posts I was stick and tired of being dropped, it seemed everywhere I pedalled everyone was saying, "on your left" as they zoomed by me. Today I had wonderful experience. I was biking along, almost home, from a 70 mile ride, (saw a young man up ahead, great bike, and he looked to be in decent shape) passed HIM!! kept riding expecting him to blow by me, didn't happen!
    kept looking in my mirror to see if he was going to catch up to me. HE DIDN'T!!! YAY!!! I know I sound like I'm nuts but this is the first time this has ever happened to me. (hey I'm 48 years old) Would love to hear
    other's stories in similar situations.

My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh heh yeah! All those guys who came out of hibernation this weekend? I've been dropping 'em left and right too.
    I'll just enjoy it while it lasts.

Stacy

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go Marge! Great job, even if you ruined my Lance Armstrong fantasy when you blew by me this afternoon.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be a good chance he'd just finished an imperial century ride and was winding down on the way home. Or a high-intensity 30-mile ride and was keeping an eye on his heart rate. Or he was riding a minute or two between very high intensity intervals. Might even be especiallly so with the Seattle riding community's penchant for randonnees and such.

Be careful about your assumptions as a 48yo in the 50+ forum. You're starting to sound like a testosterone-filled roadie. And that would be right, would it?

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    about two weeks ago, I was riding to the east of Menifee campus of San Jacinto J.C. some young kid- said training for the Temecula 24 hour off road race- asked me to ride him up some mid grade hill...looked like late Jr. H.S. age...He had a mtn. bike with poor shifters...fat tire...I never race. said i didn't...More touring type.
    so is such a mood elevator..about a 1/2 mile long ride up about a 200 ft. elevation climb..? anyway I beat probably a 16 year old kid on a Mtn bike.I had a 21 speed road bike..I could hear his chain not co-operating as we rode up the hill.. no big deal.
    hardly a member of a racing team.beat him by maybe 3 bike lengths.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Hell, one can't be a healthy joc without putting someone in the grass can we. Gotta win the race at least one time, Right

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan
    Might be a good chance he'd just finished an imperial century ride and was winding down on the way home. Or a high-intensity 30-mile ride and was keeping an eye on his heart rate. Or he was riding a minute or two between very high intensity intervals. Might even be especiallly so with the Seattle riding community's penchant for randonnees and such.

Be careful about your assumptions as a 48yo in the 50+ forum. You're starting to sound like a testosterone-filled roadie. And that would be right, would it?
    Rowan - don't deflate Marge's glory - we need all the glory we can get. This guy was obviously a fresh, full of energy, CAT 1 racer going as fast as he could as Marge flew by.

Marge - hate to tell you, but 50 IS the age! Enjoy your 40's.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Vermonticus Outdoorsus CommuterKat's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Rockhopper circa 1993
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dropped my first person last week. Granted, he was wearing jeans and on a bike a bit too small for him, but he was about my age and looked to be in decent shape. Made me feel good for a bit.
    "Methinks my own soul is a bright invisible green" H. Thoreau

My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marge
    okay, if any of you have read my previous posts I was stick and tired of being dropped, it seemed everywhere I pedalled everyone was saying, "on your left" as they zoomed by me. Today I had wonderful experience. I was biking along, almost home, from a 70 mile ride, (saw a young man up ahead, great bike, and he looked to be in decent shape) passed HIM!! kept riding expecting him to blow by me, didn't happen!
    kept looking in my mirror to see if he was going to catch up to me. HE DIDN'T!!! YAY!!! I know I sound like I'm nuts but this is the first time this has ever happened to me. (hey I'm 48 years old) Would love to hear
    other's stories in similar situations.

Now Marge, that is great and I don't want to rain on your parade, but I will use myself as an example for perspective. I am always hammering down the road, and I am one of those guys who is typically coming by on your left. I ride with the club "A" group, and I train too fast too often. I love organized races, and I love street races, but yesterday was different. I found myself overtrained and tired. I made a pact with myself that I was going to take a very easy, gentle spin - something I never do. To further put it in perspective, I look the part. I am 5' 11", 151 pounds, 28 inch waist, very vasular and fit looking. Had you met me on the road yesterday, you would have blasted by me, but you would have blasted by a sleeping lion! I didn't post this to rain on your parade, but sometimes a dose of reality is a good thing. Having said that, good job!
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

bikin'barbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job!!!! For me personally there is nothing more fun than dropping a young male cyclist!! I just hate it when I work real hard to catch a male rider, drop him, and then look behind to discover he's a SENIOR!! lol

My Bikes
    Lemond Buenos Aries, Gary Fisher Tassajara, Trek 4500, plus many more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marge, Marge, Marge, I thought it was just us old guys (more than a decade older than a very young woman like you) that needed to get all of the glory everytime we had the opportunity. I too can remember a few successes that I had. You and I have a right to be like that little Nash Rambler whose horn went beep beep beep in the song I remember from eons ago.

Enjoy
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marge ... now let me get this straight. This is the same bike that you were thinking of upgrading or selling? Well if you didn't change the bike...it's gotta be improved fitness.

You rock!

Yes I do drop people all the time but it's not for competition. If the training goal that day is to maintain a certain speed and the dude is going much slower, I pass him. That drives 'em crazy! If it's on a trail and we'll just keep passing each other every 200yrds or so...I stay in line.

My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=skydive69] I didn't post this to rain on your parade, but sometimes a dose of reality is a good thing. QUOTE]

And just why would that be? I live by a simple creed: reality is for people who lack imagination.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    Quote Originally Posted by skydive69
    I didn't post this to rain on your parade, but sometimes a dose of reality is a good thing.
    And just why would that be? I live by a simple creed: reality is for people who lack imagination.
    Ditto - you said it better than I. In what way was a "dose of reality" a good thing for Marge?
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Ditto - you said it better than I. In what way was a "dose of reality" a good thing for Marge?
    I guess I have run into too many Koolaide drinking people in my life and tend to be a bit of a realist - perhaps my training as an engineer and airline pilot. Also, I guess I am not into "simple" creeds like Blackberry's that makes incorrect assumptions, to wit, "...reality is for people who lack imagination."

Finally, I guess I stepped out of line with the philosophy of the over 50 group - stroke one another - reality notwithstanding.

Sorry Marge, fantasy is a good thing! You go girl - you really kicked that guy's butt!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully, we all have some "Walter MItty" in us, even engineers.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe this skydive guy. From his user name and avatar, I bet there is a lot of the romantic in him too!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody
    I don't believe this skydive guy. From his user name and avatar, I bet there is a lot of the romantic in him too!
    Roody, I am a true romantic for sure!! I even have a DB Cooper number for jumping out of a Boeing 727 jet at 175 mph!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully, we all have some "Walter MItty" in us, even engineers.
    So true Fox! Even we of the sliderule generation!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I don't think it is "realistic" in any way for a guy 69 to be competing nationally in cycling contests. Totally unrealistic, and please stop doing that! You need a good dose of reality.

Truly, it is my belief that "reality" is the excuse of the mediocre.

None of these people were grounded in reality. They all went far beyond the reality of their day.

Orville and Wilbur Wright
    Thomas Edison
    Alexander Graham Bell
    DeBekky
    Winston Churchill
    and on and on

If they had listened to the "be realistic" folks of their day, Great Britain would be speaking German.

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I don't think it is "realistic" in any way for a guy 69 to be competing nationally in cycling contests. Totally unrealistic, and please stop doing that! You need a good dose of reality.

Personally I don't give a dang about dropping or being dropped by anybody at any time. Never have and never will. My reality is that I'm not cycling in a race. I bicycle to please myself.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

None of these people were grounded in reality. They all went far beyond the reality of their day.

Orville and Wilbur Wright
    Thomas Edison
    Alexander Graham Bell
    DeBekky
    Winston Churchill
    and on and on

If they had listened to the "be realistic" folks of their day, Great Britain would be speaking German.
    I concur - it depends on one's definition of "reality." I will avoid a deep philosophical discussion, but there are certain inescapable types of reality. You can argue until you turn green that the earth is flat, but reality dictates otherwise. Being an inconoclast, I am the first one to shy away from structure in many things, and I am a dreamer of the highest order. Then there is a bit of the inescapable real world. For example, I can tell you that I just dropped a healthy male when in fact unless I personally know that male, and that male's motivations and reasons for his ride, my assumption might be at odds with "reality." He might have just finished a session of chemo and inspite of his doctor's recommendations is out to prove something to himself.

In a past thread, we discussed AFIB. In my one instance this past December 29th, the physician in the emergency room told me to make an appointment with a cardiologist the next day. I wanted to make a statement (albeit a ******** one many would argue), so rather than go to the cardiologist, I rode three times that day (morning, noon and evening), and felt great for doing so. By the third ride, I might have been able to have been passed by many!

Everything and anything is possible, but unfortunately no one has ever offerred me an exemption from the laws of physics. I do have an exemption, however, from common, mundane, boring, oftentimes popular thoughts!

Then there is the subject of religion.... No, I won't go there.

My Bikes
    Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skydive69
    I concur - it depends on one's definition of "reality." I will avoid a deep philosophical discussion, but there are certain inescapable types of reality. You can argue until you turn green that the earth is flat, but reality dictates otherwise. Being an inconoclast, I am the first one to shy away from structure in many things, and I am a dreamer of the highest order. Then there is a bit of the inescapable real world. For example, I can tell you that I just dropped a healthy male when in fact unless I personally know that male, and that male's motivations and reasons for his ride, my assumption might be at odds with "reality." He might have just finished a session of chemo and inspite of his doctor's recommendations is out to prove something to himself.

In a past thread, we discussed AFIB. In my one instance this past December 29th, the physician in the emergency room told me to make an appointment with a cardiologist the next day. I wanted to make a statement (albeit a ******** one many would argue), so rather than go to the cardiologist, I rode three times that day (morning, noon and evening), and felt great for doing so. By the third ride, I might have been able to have been passed by many!

Everything and anything is possible, but unfortunately no one has ever offerred me an exemption from the laws of physics. I do have an exemption, however, from common, mundane, boring, oftentimes popular thoughts!

[QUOTEThen there is the subject of religion.... No, I won't go there.
    And may I ask why?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meanwhile, Marge has long ago left the building and is out dropping some other unsuspecting young stud.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand it, we are still exploring, interpreting, applying and discovering those "laws of physics (and math)." Such areas as quantum mechanics,

http://www-theory.chem.washington.ed...m/quantum.html

If classical physics is wrong, why do we still use it?

Classical physics is a flawed theory, but it is only dramatically flawed when dealing with the very small (atomic size, where quantum mechanics is used) or the very fast (near the speed of light, where relativity takes over). For everyday things, which are much larger than atoms and much slower than the speed of light, classical physics does an excellent job. Plus, it is much easier to use than either quantum mechanics or relativity (each of which require an extensive amount of math).
    Chaos Theory

http://www.imho.com/grae/chaos/chaos.html

Chaos Theory: A Brief Introduction

What exactly is chaos? The name "chaos theory" comes from the fact that the systems that the theory describes are apparently disordered, but chaos theory is really about finding the underlying order in apparently random data. When was chaos first discovered? The first true experimenter in chaos was a meteorologist, named Edward Lorenz. In 1960, he was working on the problem of weather prediction. He had a computer set up, with a set of twelve equations to model the weather. It didn't predict the weather itself. However this computer program did theoretically predict what the weather might be.
    Fractals

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourk...als/fracintro/

What is a fractal?

B. Mandelbrot
    A rough or fragmented geometric shape that can be subdivided in parts, each of which is (at least approximately) a reduced/size copy of the whole.

Mathematical
    A set of points whose fractal dimension exceeds its topological dimension.
    Relativity

and a host of other "newer" application of physics and maths are certainly deepening our understanding, and new frontiers are constantly being opened, explored and applied by the "unrealistic" amongst us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast