Thread: Tkr

My Bikes
    Holland Exogrid
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tkr

Surgery for replacement of my right knee was last Wednesday (1/7/2015) and I was home Friday afternoon. I have pondered about when/if for this surgery for the past three years, but by early December of last year I no longer had any doubts that it was time: most of my rides were painful, my speed dropped because I could not press hard, and climbing became much less fun.

Things seem to be going ok for recovery. The goal is to get back on the trainer in four to six weeks and on the bike shortly after that. From the anecdotes I hear from others, problems can develop with being too aggressive in returning to riding. Taking a moderate pace at rehab and getting back to the bike may sacrifice some short term riding time, but I hope it will result in longer term gains.

Others here have reported on their experiences with TKR and since this is likely to be an issue for other over 50 cyclists, I will give an occasional post about rehab and such as it pertains to cycling.

I was a bit disappointed to learn the knee prothesis is cobalt-chromium and NOT titanium, so it will not match my bike: bummer.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 8 weeks past my SECOND knee replacement.Yesterday was my second time on the road, all on the mountain bike without clipping in.

Last week - 1 mile in the neighborhood. Yesterday - 8 miles.

FYI - I had my touring bike on the trainer 10 days after surgery with the seat set very, very high in order to be able to have a full pedal stroke. It was set so high that it really hurt to cycle, had to rock from side to side, being careful with Big John and The Boyz, and use my heel on the pedal to be able to go over the top. My therapist had me make 1/4" marks on the seat post and try to lower it 1/4 inch every two to three days. Surgery was Nov 11. I had the saddle back to usual position before Christmas, about six weeks. Touring bike is now racked up and my road bike is on the trainer.

I'm now eight weeks post surgery and my flexure is 132 degrees. Extension was not a problem. The quads are not as strong as the other leg....yet.

Next up will be the touring bike on the road. Then the road bike on the road and the tribike on the trainer. Last to ride will be the tri bike and the tandem. I expect our first tandem ride to be at the three month point.

Just my experience.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wishing you guys a perfect recovery and many great future rides. I know the rehab deal pretty well. No TKR but I did have C1&C2 fused in July '13. If your recovery is like mine you just have to be patient. Good luck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad about the knee prosthesis being CoCro, and not titanuim, I'd demand at least a price cut and lifetime tuneups from that LOS (Local Orthopedic Surgeon) there. I've got titanium hardware at 2 lumbar levels, non-ferrous alloy, so I don't set off metal detectors.

Hope that your recover and the rehab goes well for you. As Bruce said, be patient and don't rush the rehabilitation and therapy, the riding will return, and probably be better than it ever was, for you. Your attitude about the rate you'll move is the right one for the problem at hand. Keep us posted as to how it goes for you, please.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    Holland Exogrid
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the good wishes and sharing your experiences. about 6 days out from surgery, things seem to be going well. The staples come out this week, in-home physical therapy has started and otherwise there are no unusual happenings. I plan to have a graduated and successful recovery with no drama or setbacks that might keep me off the bike.

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.2, Kona Dew, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate all the experiences expressed in this thread. I've been told I'll need a pair of TKRs sometime in the future. Hopefully it is still quite a ways out . . . but it is good for me to begin to learn what to expect. Heal well everyone!