Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Unexpected

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unexpected

Today when I got back to work after lunch my usual area where I park my car was full so, I parked at very last parking place in the row. As I was approaching my car behind after work I noticed my Kuat hitch mounted bike rack positioned at an odd angle. When I got the car sure enough the rack had been clipped, the shank was bent and front tire caddy was also bent backwards. To my surprise, I found a note on the windshield from the person who clipped the rack providing me with their name and phone number. The note said I hit your bike rack with my wheel and bent it, name and phone number was provided.

What was more of surprise was that I decided to go by my mechanic to make sure there was no damage to hitch. When I got to the shop the rack basically fell off the shank, the lower bracket was almost complete twisted off the shank. Considering the shank and lower bracket are both steel I am guessing that there was great deal of force applied before the diver realized their wheel was hooked to my bike rack or the rack just eventually gave way.

I just hope the individual is still nice when they find out they destroyed a $550 bike rack.

I also hope that the driver doesn't contend this was my fault for having the rack on my vehicle. This was on the back of my Jeep Liberty (not a very long vehicle) and rack is about 6 inches behind the spare tire mount and the Jeep was not hanging out in the parking spot, I had about a foot in front of me to next car.

My Bikes
    2014 Trek 7.3FX,2015 Trek Domane 4.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing if they left their info they are taking ownership of the problem and they will make it right even at $550.
    I wish there were more people that took ownership of their actions instead of looking to pass the blame on someone else.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good thing your bike rack wasn't on your roof when it got trashed!

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like the person wants to do the right thing. Often though when presented with a bill they are stunned and start thinking that you are trying to make money on them. I'd give them a written estimate with the name and number of the repair place. If they want to call to verify they can. Oh, and don't throw their note away. You may need it for small claims court. I hope you took pics of the damage. Can you tell I've watched Judge Judy?

My Bikes
    3 rideable, 4 in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think yourself quite lucky. A friend had their car scraped in a car park and a note left on their windscreen saying something along the lines of - "People think I'm writing my details on this note, sorry but I'm not"
    Last edited by Gerryattrick; 01-16-15 at 12:01 PM.
    A bike is for life, not just for Christmas.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    ...Can you tell I've watched Judge Judy?
    I still remember the original TV judge, Judge Wapner!

OP, I am shocked there was a note, hope it all works out for you.
    IGH's, Dyno Hubs, LED lights and old frames

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news, the person responsilbe looked up on the internet the price of the rack and knew full well what it was going cost. Furhter, the person is prepared to pay the full price.

I actually bought the rack last year for $450 from my LBS plus tax. Looking at the rack I think I can replace the lower control assembly, center beam (it looks undamaged but, there could be internal structual damage), front tire tray and rear tire tray for $350 Plus tax and shipping. I am thinking about having the responsible party pay $375 and I will pay the difference on a new rack. This way, I can reward the party for being honest, I get a new rack and spare parts if I ever need them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that is good news for you. There is still an honest person out there. I'd vote to give him a break.
    I have to know this, what make this rack worth $550.00?
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
    Good news, the person responsilbe looked up on the internet the price of the rack and knew full well what it was going cost. Furhter, the person is prepared to pay the full price.

I actually bought the rack last year for $450 from my LBS plus tax. Looking at the rack I think I can replace the lower control assembly, center beam (it looks undamaged but, there could be internal structual damage), front tire tray and rear tire tray for $350 Plus tax and shipping. I am thinking about having the responsible party pay $375 and I will pay the difference on a new rack. This way, I can reward the party for being honest, I get a new rack and spare parts if I ever need them.
    Good for both of you, honesty and some compassion, nice to see that these days.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    Jamis Nova Pro, Giant Sedona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contrary to a lot of people, I think when you go through life being honest, you find most people want to do the right thing. The bad examples get highlighted too often. Good post and good ending.