Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Less than 2 miles and I think I'm dead

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Less than 2 miles and I think I'm dead

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-15, 09:10 AM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
In 2000 I had hit 300 lb and decided to get a bike after being off of one for about six years. I was 45 at the time. I caught a bus to the bike shop so I could ride it home-3 1/2 miles up a shallow, but steady 1 1/2-2% grade. Home - San Fernando, CA The pain in my legs when I got home was incredible. Within a couple of weeks I was commuting to work-13 miles down that same grade. At first I had to catch the bus home after work, but over a couple of months worked my way up the distances going back up the hill. work - LA, CA

I now weigh a little over 200lbs and have biked two century rides and run a half marathon. https://www.strava.com/activities/119047641

If you are not obese like I was, you should do fine.
Old 01-24-15, 09:40 AM

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
All I can add is that you need to ride regularly to see good progress. If you wait a week between rides, your second and third ride etc will feel much like your first.

At your level you probably want to do your hard ride, then try to do a real gentle, stretching ride the following day, just to warm up a little. Then maybe take a day off from riding and just have a walk around to keep your muscles from getting too sore and tight. Then get back out there and see if you can stretch the distance a little, and/or the pace. You won't feel much benefit for a while, as incrementally the changes will be miniscule. But in a month you'll look back and realize that it's all been worthwhile.
Old 01-24-15, 10:02 AM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
CCND, this is going to be fun. Much like beginning weight training, when you start from a low baseline, your early improvements will come fast and dramatic.
Old 01-24-15, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
you probably rode too hard in too high a gear. at your stage of conditioning that is like your mind writing checks that your body can't cash. slow it down and keep the bike in low hears that allow you to spin easily. avoid hills for a while. build gradually over time. increase total mileage 5% a week. get rest days between riding days and also do stretching after a ride. I guarantee that you ability to ride will come fairly quickly.
Old 01-24-15, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good job getting out on your bike. Do not give up, you've made a huge first step.

Others have mentioned, check your saddle height and position (your LBS can help you with that) and try to shift into gears that allow you to pedal at between 80 and 100 rpm. Many people start with a low saddle and a high gear which is a bad combination that will toast your quads in a hurry. It's going to take time, but not as much as you think. I started with a less than 5 mile ride on dang near flat residential streets and was sure I'd never walk again. A couple months later I did my first destination ride, to a town 9 miles away. The following year I rode my first century. I'm an overweight 50 year old and not particularly athletic. Ride with the intent to push yourself a bit more each time 3-5 times a week, but remember to take a rest day once or twice a week. You don't have to flop on the couch for the day, just take it easy and allow yourself to recover. Go for a walk or a swim, etc. and get plenty of sleep. You'll progress nicely.
Old 01-25-15, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So did you ride today? Consistency is the key!

Today begins my third week back on the bike. I'm now able to grind out a 5.5 mile loop on the way home (still just 1.4 miles on the way there--can't show up sweaty), with about 325 feet of climbing. That's as flat as it gets around here! Really, since it's supposed to be the middle of ski season, it's amazing we're riding at all.

OP-Keep the fun in it. It's gonna suck, yes, yes it is. But...it pays off really fast if you stick with it, even at (nearly) fifty.

Driving with the family down to the valley today for a flatter, MUP ride. Planning about 9 miles of rolling riverside pavement at a family (11, 14, Mom, and me) mountain-bike pace. Plenty of stops, plenty of water. For me it'll be a recovery day, I hope....

Anyway, keep it fun. Let us know how you're doing!

Steve
Old 01-29-15, 09:18 PM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Once again, thanks for all the great advice, etc. Six days of riding with one day rest in between. I made it up that monstrosity of a hill but I had to go diagonally (side to side) all the way up. Needless to say, I was surprised. Diagonal or not, what a feeling to beat that #*%#*. Yesterday, I hit the Katy Trail for a 12 mile jaunt as some have suggested to stay away from the hills. It was a flat stretch the whole distance but i did have to fight a bit of wind. First time I have been on the trail and it was very enjoyable. One short stop at a scenic spot was all I needed. Paying the price a bit today, but not too bad. I wouldn't have thought it possible, but you guys were right. Thanks a ton.
Old 01-29-15, 09:29 PM

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I took my Surly LHTD out for the first time I rode five miles and when I got home my legs were shaking so badly I could hardly stand up. That was last February. Today I ride FIFTY miles and when I get home I rest a few minutes and everything is fine. Next May I'll take off on a cross country tour from Seattle to Miami and although I'll be 72 years old then I'm confident I'll make it. Your mind has a lot to do with what you can accomplish.
Old 01-29-15, 09:32 PM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus Limited and 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High-Five on conquering that hill! Don't let that wind deter you. The wind is your friend, your coach. It's hard on you going out but rewards your efforts coming home. Don't forget to REST. Rest is important for your body to recover from your efforts.

Keep spinning those wheels
Old 01-29-15, 09:33 PM

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Cannondale AL1 Lefty MTB, Trek X01, Trek Farley 7,1951 Raleigh Sport, 57&60 Raleigh Tourist, 70 Raleigh Super Course, 80's Soma Prestiege,72 Raleigh Grand Sports, 85 Club Fuji, 76 Raleigh Competition, 85 Panasonic,70's Peugot u08. & more

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Way to go CCND! Keep at and it will really pay off! It has valleys and peaks but man it is FUN! Keep us informed.
Bill
Old 01-30-15, 02:28 AM

Bikes: 2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow! Sounds like me when I jump back on a bike just after a few days without riding. But after awhile things calm down and the reason why I love bikes and cycling so much rebounds within my sences and all is quiet. and nothing wrong with jumping off the bike and taking it for a walk when those hills get to steep and long. Stop for some tea or coffee. smell the flowers. Admire the view...
Old 01-30-15, 07:14 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Good job on making it up that infernal hill, keep up your efforts and you will look back in amusement as to how much easier the hills have become. Getting out on the Katy for some mileage is a great idea, build up the miles and your legs/lungs so that you aren't struggling on the hills and into the wind. It amazes me how much we can gain and improve our fitness from something so enjoyable as cycling.

Please keep sharing, how you are doing, with us here. Some pictures, are of course, mandatory for all 50+ asylum members.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-30-15, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by CCND1
Once again, thanks for all the great advice, etc. Six days of riding with one day rest in between. I made it up that monstrosity of a hill but I had to go diagonally (side to side) all the way up. Needless to say, I was surprised. Diagonal or not, what a feeling to beat that #*%#*. Yesterday, I hit the Katy Trail for a 12 mile jaunt as some have suggested to stay away from the hills. It was a flat stretch the whole distance but i did have to fight a bit of wind. First time I have been on the trail and it was very enjoyable. One short stop at a scenic spot was all I needed. Paying the price a bit today, but not too bad. I wouldn't have thought it possible, but you guys were right. Thanks a ton.
What part of the Katy do you live near? I rode a short section at Boonville just before Christmas, and there was a pretty good grade heading southwest out of town. Worse than that, the surface was pretty soft and made for hard slogging.
Old 01-30-15, 08:06 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I've found that slaloming up a hill to cut the grade is actually harder than slogging it out. While the grade is less going diagonally, you have to change directions and turn sharply at the end of each diagonal run, which is worse than riding straight up. Can you change to a cassette with a larger big cog? Even one lower gear would make a big difference.
Old 01-30-15, 04:35 PM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
What part of the Katy do you live near? I rode a short section at Boonville just before Christmas, and there was a pretty good grade heading southwest out of town. Worse than that, the surface was pretty soft and made for hard slogging.
A friend who is familiar with the trail took me to the Jefferson City access point. I had never been on the trail, so he showed me where to park, etc. It was pretty much a straight shot from there to about Claysville Road. No grade that I was aware of, but my friend said that there was a very slight grade. We never once came to any kind of steep incline.
The path was firm except for a couple of small patches and they were easy to maneuver around. It was smooth and like riding over fine gravel. We stopped once right at the point next to the Mo. River to catch a view. Trees lined both sides of the path almost the entire way. I could see where the path would get soft and sluggish after a rain. Having experience those soft patches, I know I wouldn't enjoy riding in those conditions.
Old 01-30-15, 04:46 PM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I've found that slaloming up a hill to cut the grade is actually harder than slogging it out. While the grade is less going diagonally, you have to change directions and turn sharply at the end of each diagonal run, which is worse than riding straight up. Can you change to a cassette with a larger big cog? Even one lower gear would make a big difference.
I'm getting better with the gear shifting, so hopefully it won't be long before I can take the hill w/o the slalom approach. I do find it gives my legs a chance to rest and regroup at this point. It is amazing how quickly the progress occurs. My first attempt was a total disaster. Once I get a handle on the gear situation, I think it will happen.
Old 01-30-15, 05:57 PM

Bikes: GT Timberline 4130 Chromo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biking uses different muscles than walking! I can run a slow couple miles and feel pretty good, but I just took my sad old bike out for a 2 miler and my legs were burning like crazy on the hills. I am not terribly out of shape (only a little bit!!), am in my 30's, and I too was panting like a honey badger in heat. You are not alone my friend!
Old 01-30-15, 07:50 PM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Storm7
Biking uses different muscles than walking! I can run a slow couple miles and feel pretty good, but I just took my sad old bike out for a 2 miler and my legs were burning like crazy on the hills. I am not terribly out of shape (only a little bit!!), am in my 30's, and I too was panting like a honey badger in heat. You are not alone my friend!
Amen, I say! I hear that and raise you a butt ache. It's unbelievable the difference once you put the foot from road to peddle. I'm encouraged by the progress of just a few days, but no where near ready for anything too extravagant. You might try this trick; when the honey badger attack occurs and there are people who nearby, get off the bike and stare at it as if there is something not working properly. Catch your breath, shake your head, and proceed forward until the next attack. Rinse and repeat.
Old 01-30-15, 08:38 PM

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, but there is improvement!
Today I rode 13.1 miles which is a mile better than my previous best.
It takes time, but the legs get stronger, and the butt gets tougher.
The weather here in Florida was glorious today. Sunny, low 70's, slight breeze. In other words, a perfect day for biking.
Visiting bike forums can be discouraging. Reading about "centuries" and seeing the sleek carbon framed Italian road beauties can make one feel inadequate.
I'm enjoying this thread. It reminds where I came from and where I am now. I can only hope you enjoy similar progress.
Old 02-01-15, 08:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Took you 40 years to get out of shape and you expect to be in good shape in one day???
Am 82 years old and still ride 100+ miles a week . . .
Stick with it but don not expect miracles for a few weeks/months.
love this! I turned 60 a few moths ago and often ask myself how much longer can I ride. This gives me lots of hope!
Old 02-02-15, 09:05 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Normal. You said miles? My first rides were measured in blocks.

Don't ride so long that your butt hurts. It takes me a couple of weeks to acclimate to the saddle after a long hiatus. Hurt butts make you not want to ride again.

As others suggested make sure the bike is adjusted to a reasonable fit and is in good repair.
Tires pumped to appropriate pressure, saddle at correct height.
The reason there are gears on the bikes is so you can use them. Easy gears are for uphill and flats. Hard gears are for flats and downhills. Your legs will thank you.
Find flatter terrain to start with. Pace yourself on the hills, take breaks or walk as needed. As you get more miles in, the easier the hills will be.
Old 02-02-15, 10:47 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CCND1
I tried to climb a very long and steep hill which I have walked many times. About 1/4 of the way up the hill, I hit this invisible brick wall which stopped me in my tracks. Given my legs were numb and I was breathing like a honey badger in heat, I proceeded to go to the curb and sit on my aching butt.
That's a wise thing to do. After 2 months on my current commute, there is one section of one hill where I have to stop and rest 4 times to climb it. No shame. Rest and climb, rest and climb. The fun begins instantly when you don't try and overdo it. But after 2 months, I can climb the other 8 miles of hills if my attitude is good. If not, it's rest and climb.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-03-15, 11:32 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.0, Trek Navigator 2.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had not had a bicycle since I was 15. Got my first road bike at 62 years old. Rode my first century 6 months later. On that first road bike ride called my wife to come get me after 13 miles. I rode the short rides until they seemed to get easier then started to add mileage. As others advise, listen to your body.
Old 02-04-15, 02:03 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Two miles and you did better than I did on my first ride back. Wife got me a bike for my 63rd birthday. First time on a bike in over 20 years. Took it out that night and rode to the end of the road and back for less than a mile ride. I wasn't tired or exhausted but I couldn't walk for the next three days. This past October, I rode across the state. There's a sign that hangs over the counter in one of the local shops that reads, "The more you ride, the better you get. The better you get, the more you ride." A very true statement to cycle by.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-04-15, 02:27 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmeloy99
love this! I turned 60 a few moths ago and often ask myself how much longer can I ride. This gives me lots of hope!
hell a lot of us here did not even start riding until we were past 60....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.