My Bikes
    Trek 720,820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pedal Forward, any good?

Hi all,
    Recently had my right knee "scoped" for the 2x. At the end of my regular riding season in Oct I was having lots of pain, found 2 meniscus tears and lots of arthritis.I was wondering if there is any one out there with knee arthritis that has gone the pedal forward route and is it beneficial? I don't want to go recumbent but was wondering about an Electra Townie 21 spd. I know they are slow but I am going for the longevity of the knee. I am 61+ and commute a couple of times a week to work(14 mi. r/t) in addition to my fun rides. Any experience with this situation would be appreciated. Thanks, John
    Don't point a finger....Lend a hand.

My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend who has one who really likes her Townie. Many people ride crank forward bikes and like them a lot.

What I don't have a good answer for is if they'll help your knee issues. REI and other bike stores carry them, so I suggest a test ride.

(I'd suggest putting recumbents back on the table, but it's only a suggestion. )
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    cannondale adventure 2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My cannondale adventure 2 has a slight pedal forward design, though not nearly as much as a townie.
    I don't have knee problems so I can't comment on pain relief in that area, but a pedal forward position will relieve some stress on the knee.
    How much you need will be a product of trial and error. I too would re-consider a recumbent.
    age ... 65
    Treasure Coast Florida

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At a guess, a crank-forward would change the point in your knee bend where the pressure ends up, and that may help. Or, it might be worse. It will definitely be slower. Gonna hold off on the bent until you're too old to enjoy it? Although to be honest, the same thing would apply to a bent - might work fine, might be worse.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't read or heard of crank forward or recumbent bikes being particularly better for knee issues than conventional bikes.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I have arthritis in both knees. I have not ridden pedal forward bikes. I have found that having the seat rather high helps a lot. Also, riding a lot has helped me. I ride mainly on flat land, no hills here, and I don't push my pain threshold. I ride once or twice a day. I have an exercise bike too. My Orthopedist says moving the joint helps. I also strengthen my legs by lifting weights. I do sets of twenty straight (unbent) leg lifts with ankle weights. I do them a couple times a week. I do them in three directions. This is supposed to strengthen the muscles around the knee and they act as a shock absorber.

I have had both knees scoped. I think if you have arthritis that it is bad operation. It was for me both times.

My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IME, The biggest factors as far as knees go, are overall leg extension, and leg angle at peak load. This cuts both ways. Many riders lower knee pain by raising the saddle so the knee is more open at peak load, but others have issues if they allow the leg to straighten too much at the bottom of the stroke. In some cases, a shorter crank can help, or more use of the ankle to drop the heel at the top, and reach at the bottom, which combine to reduce total knee movement.

But the biggest factor is to reduce pedaling force by avoiding low rpm/high force pedaling, especially pushing a higher gear in climbs. Do your knees a favor and get a bigger cassette or granny gear, and learn to spin more.
    FB
    Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had arthroscopic surgery on both knees (2007? and 2010?). My physical therapy was to ride my bike on the trainer every day. The first session was about 6 hours after the surgery.
    After 4 weeks my Sports Medicine doc (who is also a cyclist) said I could get back out on the road.
    Never even looked at or considered a pedal forward bike. I've always been a roadie and still am at 70 y/o.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes people with knee problems benefit from short cranks. They require less knee bend at the top of the pedal stroke. The idea is to spin more to compensate for the reduced leverage - like eating the elephant in more, smaller bikes rather than fewer large bites.

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH~Treker View Post
    Hi all,
    Recently had my right knee "scoped" for the 2x. At the end of my regular riding season in Oct I was having lots of pain, found 2 meniscus tears and lots of arthritis.I was wondering if there is any one out there with knee arthritis that has gone the pedal forward route and is it beneficial? I don't want to go recumbent but was wondering about an Electra Townie 21 spd. I know they are slow but I am going for the longevity of the knee. I am 61+ and commute a couple of times a week to work(14 mi. r/t) in addition to my fun rides. Any experience with this situation would be appreciated. Thanks, John
    It's best to avoid standing on your pedals to increase joint life due to overloading of the joint. Go to a lower gear and stay seated. Believe it or not..........
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

My Bikes
    cannondale adventure 2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I like the pedal forward design is because of balance issues. A few years ago I was diagnosed with vertigo. Horrible dizziness that makes getting out of a chair a dangerous activity. Most days I have no issues, but it comes and goes and these days is usually mild. With a pedal forward bike you can have full leg extension yet touch the ground without having to leave the seat. With my bike it's the balls of the feet that make the contact, but with a townie your entire foot can make flat contact with the ground. This is a great innovation for cyclists who have lost some steadiness due to age.
    age ... 65
    Treasure Coast Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The greatest knee saving value, in my experience, has been a good bike fitting. I've gone through two sessions - two hours each - and she's checking and adjusting everything, from shoe inserts and cleat position to seat height and handlebar size, position and height/reach. She added some extenders to move the pedals outward away from the frame a bit - made a world of difference to my knees. We've still got to wait for the right stems to come in and we'll put the new ergo brake levers on the new wider bars, pad the everlovin' hell outta the bars and I'll be good to go. I can't say enough in favor of a good bike fitting.

I had meniscus repair on my left knee. My body's inflammatory response to the surgery jump-started arthritis in the knee. I went from mild arthritic changes to intermediate- to high-grade changes in the knee - basically a lifetime's worth of arthritis in six months. It doesn't hurt to pedal, though sometimes I need one or two canes to walk - go figure. I'll be starting out on an extended tour (well, extended for me - one or two months) in April and I have high hopes for the ride!
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    Wag more, bark less.