Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Carpel Tunnel and Riding

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Carpel Tunnel and Riding

Old 01-14-16, 02:07 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
No OldTryGuy, I went to my GP and he didn't refer me to a neurologist nor did he do an EMG test. I will use the brace and do the exercises and see if there's improvement but if not I will get another appointment with my GP. He said if the brace and exercises don't work a cortisone shot is the next step before surgery.

My feeling (tell me if I'm wrong) is that the cortisone shot will just take away the perception of the symptoms but is in no way a cure. Or am I wrong?

Thanks for your advice!
Rick / OCRR
Shot is like a coat of paint over a crack in the plaster. My hand ortho sent me to the neuro for the EMG and the results were the icing on the cake in that neuro said I kind of waited too long and the surgery might not resolve the issue. He was right. I would say if things don't improve, and they very well might since you are being pro-active early on not like DUMMY ME, forget about the shot since it is only a temporary fix.

Seriously wishing you good luck but if the surgery is needed, it's not a big deal. I had open release but the closed can be very effective and less hassle after.
Old 01-15-16, 09:06 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Seriously wishing you good luck but if the surgery is needed, it's not a big deal. I had open release but the closed can be very effective and less hassle after.
I was kind of a dummy too OldTryGuy, I didn't know what was wrong and kept thinking it would heal or go away. Instead it got worse and that's when I went to Kaiser to have it checked out. Thanks for all of your advice on this!

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-17-16, 10:25 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was kind of a dummy too OldTryGuy, I didn't know what was wrong and kept thinking it would heal or go away. Instead it got worse and that's when I went to Kaiser to have it checked out. Thanks for all of your advice on this!

Rick / OCRR
That's exactly what I did. I figured it out on my own (Google, YouTube videos), and it is responding to conservative CTS treatments (splint at night, the exercises, and heat). I'm following the treatment measures in the book Treat Your Own Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and things are improving. For example, I can hold a pen or brush my teeth without my fingers going numb. A hot pack or heating pad, applied 20 min. several times a day, helps relieve the pain.

I can ride my Surly LHT with mustache bars and things are going so well that I'm tempted to return to the road bike, but I know that CTS is not something to mess with.
Old 01-18-16, 08:47 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
That's exactly what I did. I figured it out on my own (Google, YouTube videos), and it is responding to conservative CTS treatments (splint at night, the exercises, and heat). I'm following the treatment measures in the book Treat Your Own Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and things are improving. For example, I can hold a pen or brush my teeth without my fingers going numb. A hot pack or heating pad, applied 20 min. several times a day, helps relieve the pain.

I can ride my Surly LHT with mustache bars and things are going so well that I'm tempted to return to the road bike, but I know that CTS is not something to mess with.
A friend of mine is a PT so I'm doing the exercises she recommends and (along with using the brace) I'm seeing some improvement. Not dramatic but still, improvement. Rode my commute bike to work today, no problem. Did two rides over the weekend on my road bike and it wasn't too bad. GMR/GRR to Mt. Baldy village and back on Sat. and Irvine to Oceanside on Sun. (took the Metro-Link back).

So . . . just a few miles fewer than 100 total for recreational cycling this weekend but far better than nothing! Shifting onto the big chain-ring (SRAM Red) was difficult because of the brace but otherwise, no problem.

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-18-16, 01:36 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Originally Posted by Yen

A friend of mine is a PT so I'm doing the exercises she recommends and (along with using the brace) I'm seeing some improvement. Not dramatic but still, improvement. Rode my commute bike to work today, no problem. Did two rides over the weekend on my road bike and it wasn't too bad. GMR/GRR to Mt. Baldy village and back on Sat. and Irvine to Oceanside on Sun. (took the Metro-Link back).

So . . . just a few miles fewer than 100 total for recreational cycling this weekend but far better than nothing! Shifting onto the big chain-ring (SRAM Red) was difficult because of the brace but otherwise, no problem.

Rick / OCRR
Fingers crossed for you-all for continued improved comfort.
Old 01-18-16, 07:07 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

My feeling (tell me if I'm wrong) is that the cortisone shot will just take away the perception of the symptoms but is in no way a cure. Or am I wrong?
Not necessarily. Inflammation is your big enemy. So many problems flare up past the point where it can easily settle back down and recover. Cortisone steroid shots go a long way to reducing the inflammation and allowing the area to recover to where it can again tolerate your movements. I have had many problems that were solved by simple shots.

And don't give up too early on nerve damage. It can sometimes take nerves a long time to recover- like months to years. Personally I avoid surgical remedies unless the damage is immediately causing major bodily problems -like bowel control or walking or total loss of grip (or really bad pain).

Last edited by dbg; 01-18-16 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-19-16, 09:15 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
Not necessarily. Inflammation is your big enemy. So many problems flare up past the point where it can easily settle back down and recover. Cortisone steroid shots go a long way to reducing the inflammation and allowing the area to recover to where it can again tolerate your movements. I have had many problems that were solved by simple shots.
Thanks for your input dbg! I was thinking Cortisone shots were just a short time fix/cover-up. Sorry to hear the nerves take a long time to recover . . . I'm not that patient! Still dealing with the reduction in my cycling this has caused.

Plus, and I don't know if this is CTS related, a few years ago my prev. PT discovered that my right arm is slightly shorter than my left.
He had me move my right brake/shift lever closer to compensate. However . . . as a result I have to put more pressure on my left arm to keep the bike completely vertical.

My new PT thinks this extra pressure, considering all the miles I ride (over 12,000 in 2015) may have contributed to my CTS. And, may be the reason I feel my pain all the way from my fingers to my left shoulder blade. So, it may be complicated. The big "however" is that I feel the shoulder pain even when riding my commute bike, which has flat bars and hence no arm-length compensation.

As a test, I have the Palm Springs Century coming up this Saturday so it will be interesting to see if I can get through that (ironic since I rode eight double-centuries last year!) at some "acceptable" level of pain.

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-19-16, 09:40 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I had a chronic shoulder problem I believe caused by riding (kept my arms locked when tired and maybe sent shock waves up into my shoulder). It would radiate pain and numbness down my arm. My shoulder orthopod guy gave me cortisone shots 3 times over a three year period. Each fixed an occurrence. I asked him if yearly or semi yearly injections was a reasonable way to go through life. He said it was -but if it became more regular then surgery was another option. After three recurrences (and my adjustment of slightly bent elbow) the problem never came back.
Old 01-19-16, 10:00 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I registered for the PS century but will be doing the 25-mile ride if I am lucky. I cannot ride my road bike without numbness in my fingers and pain in my hand, and I think it is not worth taking a chance with the possibility of permanent nerve damage (worst case) or prolonging the recovery (best case). I do many different activities/hobbies that depend on the use of my hand, and cycling is only one of them. IMO, a little tingling and/or pain with CTS is a warning sign -- "don't do this!"
Old 01-19-16, 12:03 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
A little tingling and/or pain with CTS is a warning sign -- "don't do this!"
Thanks Yen! You are very smart . . . whereas I (who am not too smart) think "a little tingling and/or pain with CTS" is time to HTFU and ignore it, ride through the pain and just deal with it.

My (not too smart) plan is to start out riding the century and if the pain becomes unbearable I'll switch to the metric, which is easily do-able at some pre-marked point in the ride. Probably if, like you, I had "many different activities/hobbies" I wouldn't be such a single-minded cyclist!

I have decided (with more smarts!) not to even start any double-centuries until this is all cleared up.

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-24-16, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 703 Posts
Cortisone covers up the symptoms, but in no way fixes the problem. I have been doing the exercises and they have certainly helped. The big thing for me is typing all day long. That is a real aggravator. It is winter again, so no riding other than the rollers. I started to lift weights to see how that affects things. I will find out come spring. I will try a brace, as my wife has been nagging me to do. Perhaps I should listen to her!
Old 01-24-16, 01:47 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
C I will try a brace, as my wife has been nagging me to do. Perhaps I should listen to her!
Yes TiHabanero, The brace has helped me. In fact this last Saturday I rode the whole Palm Springs Century with the brace on (under my cycling gloves). Yen rode it too, but only the 25 mile course, I think. I rode the whole 104 and did had some tingling in my left hand fingers, fairly often.

The real pain started after lunch (about 45 mi. point) and it was in the center of my upper back. Thought I'd have to quit for awhile but just rode with the pain until the ibuprofen I took at lunch kicked in. Then I was able to finish the century but still . . . with upper back pain, dulled by ibuprofen.

After the finish, back at the Motel, I rolled a ball around my upper back (standing against a wall) which is a decent massage technique my PT taught me. Worked somewhat. When my wife finished the century (about 2 hr. later) she put some Ben-Gay on my back and that helped too. Took the brace of for post-century shower, put it back on right afterwards.

Regarding typing (which I do a lot both at home and at work) I have pads on my keyboard to prevent CTS but have to take my brace off since the brace raises my wrists up too much to type with the pad in place.

Anyway, other than the pain, a fine and fun century in the desert scenery of Palm Springs. Here it is on Strava:

https://www.strava.com/activities/47...ts/11461054354

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 01-26-16 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-30-16, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 703 Posts
Rick@OCRR, what pads for the keyboard do you have? I have tried two different brands but they were of no use. I find typing on a laptop less problematic than the conventional keyboard at work. If there is a keyboard out there with a large platform like a laptop I'd sure like to know about it, or if the pads you have produce the same affect, that would work, too.
Old 01-30-16, 08:15 AM

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
The simple fact is a recumbent will give relief to carpel tunnel and several other physical problems aggravated by DF bikes. Bents also prevent new physical problems from occurring.
Old 01-30-16, 09:08 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Rick@OCRR, what pads for the keyboard do you have? I have tried two different brands but they were of no use. I find typing on a laptop less problematic than the conventional keyboard at work. If there is a keyboard out there with a large platform like a laptop I'd sure like to know about it, or if the pads you have produce the same affect, that would work, too.
I am using a Belkin pad here at home and it seems to work wonders so far. At work they bought me an ergonomic keyboard; don't remember the brand name but it works well, however, I do have to remove my brace before using it since the brace raises my wrist up too far when used with the ergonomic keyboard.

Did a 61 mile ride today with over 4,000 ft. of climbing, with my brace on, and while I did have some back pain, I was able to HTFU and ride through the pain (with the help of 800 mg. of ibuprofen). Here it is on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/482296810

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-31-16, 03:43 AM

I am using a Belkin pad here at home and it seems to work wonders so far. At work they bought me an ergonomic keyboard; don't remember the brand name but it works well, however, I do have to remove my brace before using it since the brace raises my wrist up too far when used with the ergonomic keyboard.

Did a 61 mile ride today with over 4,000 ft. of climbing, with my brace on, and while I did have some back pain, I was able to HTFU and ride through the pain (with the help of 800 mg. of ibuprofen). Here it is on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/482296810

Rick / OCRR
Glad to read that you are getting the miles and work accomplished.

From my experience........ ibuprofen, brace, exercises ONLY masked and delayed the inevitable.....surgery. Swim training for an Ironman was not productive with or without brace. 100 mile bike rides not too cool either and the extra weight was not nice while pavement pounding for the marathon portion. Even though I did not get 100% resolution, the remaining issues are far better than the constant pain, intense tingling and BURNING sensation I was having. As mentioned, I should have had surgery sooner.
Old 02-05-16, 11:21 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Glad to read that you are getting the miles and work accomplished.

From my experience........ ibuprofen, brace, exercises ONLY masked and delayed the inevitable.....surgery. Swim training for an Ironman was not productive with or without brace. 100 mile bike rides not too cool either and the extra weight was not nice while pavement pounding for the marathon portion. Even though I did not get 100% resolution, the remaining issues are far better than the constant pain, intense tingling and BURNING sensation I was having. As mentioned, I should have had surgery sooner.
Thanks OldTryGuy, My GP says surgery is last resort only, though I may get there one day. I'm seeing (feeling) some improvement, but still some tingling and in fact my back pain seems to be getting a bit worse. I rode to work today and it was not too bad so if the ride home is okay then I'll do a century tomorrow (Saturday). Not sure how much climbing but some . . . Will wear my brace, take my ibuprofen (as prescribed) and hope for the best!

If I do have a lot of pain on the ride home, will scratch the century from my plans.

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-05-16, 01:28 PM

Thanks OldTryGuy, My GP says surgery is last resort only, though I may get there one day. I'm seeing (feeling) some improvement, but still some tingling and in fact my back pain seems to be getting a bit worse. I rode to work today and it was not too bad so if the ride home is okay then I'll do a century tomorrow (Saturday). Not sure how much climbing but some . . . Will wear my brace, take my ibuprofen (as prescribed) and hope for the best!

If I do have a lot of pain on the ride home, will scratch the century from my plans.

Rick / OCRR
Go for it and good luck. Often heard that, "surgery is the last resort" and I agree so keep-on keeping on and hopefully that will never be necessary.
Old 02-06-16, 10:26 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Go for it and good luck. Often heard that, "surgery is the last resort" and I agree so keep-on keeping on and hopefully that will never be necessary.
Passed on the century, OldTryGuy, did an Orange County ride instead. 71 miles, 4,600 feet of climbing. My back hurt pretty much the whole way, a bit less while climbing, a bit more when descending. 800 mg. ibuprofen before the ride and another 800 mg. pill after the ride. Feels okay now (2 hours after the finish).

Here it is on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/487641369

Linda, my ride partner, summiting on Mojeska Grade, the steepest part of the ride (16%). Lovely day, 73 Deg. average temps, not a cloud in the sky!

Rick / OCRR
Attached Images
Old 02-07-16, 04:59 AM

Passed on the century, OldTryGuy, did an Orange County ride instead. 71 miles, 4,600 feet of climbing. My back hurt pretty much the whole way, a bit less while climbing, a bit more when descending. 800 mg. ibuprofen before the ride and another 800 mg. pill after the ride. Feels okay now (2 hours after the finish).

Here it is on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/487641369

Linda, my ride partner, summiting on Mojeska Grade, the steepest part of the ride (16%). Lovely day, 73 Deg. average temps, not a cloud in the sky!

Rick / OCRR
Excellent ride!! I am envious. Funny, yesterday I hit 71.05 miles just as I got back to my garage; HOWEVER, ONLY 157' elevation. SW FL is sooooo flat, but riding into the headwinds/crosswinds makes things more interesting.

If the ibuprofen gets you through a day of riding, go for it. Just make sure to rest and recover.
Old 02-08-16, 09:45 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Excellent ride!! I am envious. Funny, yesterday I hit 71.05 miles just as I got back to my garage; HOWEVER, ONLY 157' elevation. SW FL is sooooo flat, but riding into the headwinds/crosswinds makes things more interesting.
If the ibuprofen gets you through a day of riding, go for it. Just make sure to rest and recover.
Honestly OldTryGuy, I would rather climb then fight headwinds, so you probably get in the same training value where you live. After that ride on Sat. I stayed off the bike and did yard work and chores around the house on Sunday. Took no ibuprofen on Sunday and felt fine.

However, I woke up at midnight in a lot of pain and took an 800 mg. . . . eventually got back to sleep. Woke up at 4:30 and while the upper back pain was gone, the lower back pain was back with a vengeance. Decided to drive to work instead of ride. Rolled on my foam roller and my lower back responded well to that.

Feeling okay now, but big picture, I'm concerned about too much ibuprofen since, apparently, it's very hard on liver and kidneys. So I try to do without whenever I can. Need to talk with my PT again!

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-08-16, 10:05 AM

Honestly OldTryGuy, I would rather climb then fight headwinds, so you probably get in the same training value where you live. After that ride on Sat. I stayed off the bike and did yard work and chores around the house on Sunday. Took no ibuprofen on Sunday and felt fine.

However, I woke up at midnight in a lot of pain and took an 800 mg. . . . eventually got back to sleep. Woke up at 4:30 and while the upper back pain was gone, the lower back pain was back with a vengeance. Decided to drive to work instead of ride. Rolled on my foam roller and my lower back responded well to that.

Feeling okay now, but big picture, I'm concerned about too much ibuprofen since, apparently, it's very hard on liver and kidneys. So I try to do without whenever I can. Need to talk with my PT again!

Rick / OCRR
Right on about ibu. I try to hold off on the ibu and acetaminophen also but sometimes it's a must. Saw knee ortho last week, long time friend, and he said surgery on knees not needed, cortisone shots NOT advisable so pop Aleve when things get bad. I just try to put up with it best I can.

See the PT and good luck.
Old 02-12-16, 03:44 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Right on about ibu. I try to hold off on the ibu and acetaminophen also but sometimes it's a must. Saw knee ortho last week, long time friend, and he said surgery on knees not needed, cortisone shots NOT advisable so pop Aleve when things get bad. I just try to put up with it best I can.
See the PT and good luck.
The good news is that my CTS is slowly getting better but my upper back pain (which may be related) is getting worse! Have to check with my GP again.

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-12-16, 09:24 PM

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I too am reluctant to get surgery. I had an interesting visit with a general surgeon I was referred to by my internest regarding a small inguinal hernia.
He said that He didn't believe he could "significantly improve my quality of life" with surgery, so he suggested a 'watch and wait' approach.
I really respected that criteria. In your case it sounds like your quality of life would be significantly improved with surgery.
I would go for it.
PS> I feel ya about the bent
Old 02-13-16, 06:08 AM

The good news is that my CTS is slowly getting better but my upper back pain (which may be related) is getting worse! Have to check with my GP again.

Rick / OCRR
regarding the CTS improving. They say a "bent" is great for the back and butt and hands and .........

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.