Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R700 USA Ed., & Motobecane Century Team & Motobecane Titanium
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to take a turn or two on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway track

This may sound crazy, but stay with me. I’m a Hoosier, born and raised in Indianapolis, Indiana. But I now live in Central Texas (where I get to ride darn near all year long). I haven’t been back to Indiana in decades. I’m retired so I am pretty much able to pick and choose when and where I ride. I am always on the lookout for interesting places to ride. Being from Indianapolis, I have always thought “Wouldn’t be cool to ride on the Indianapolis 500 Motor Speedway track?” Well, I’m going to do just that. This summer my wife and I will travel to Indianapolis and I will ride in the 2015 Indiana Tour de Cure on Saturday, June 20th. Rather than being a lone rider, I am thinking about forming a team called “Team Fifty Plus” and inviting any Fifty Plus forum members who would be interested in joining me. Yeah, I know, it’s a crazy idea, but I thought I would run it up the proverbial flagpole and see if anyone salutes it. Let me know if you might be interested. Thanks!

Event web site:
    Tour de Cure: American Diabetes Association: 2015 Indiana Tour de Cure

Ride On!
    -Spoke
    "On the road again, I can't wait to get on the road again!" -Willie

My Bikes
    Trek FX 7.3 WSD, Trek Lexa S
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that is cool beyond belief! If I lived within 500 miles of the Brickyard, I'd join you! (See what I did there... 500 miles?)
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    - Confucius or Buckaroo Banzai... or maybe both

My Bikes
    70's Raleigh Sports, '12 Specialized Secteur
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be my kind of ride.... no hills. I'd love to cruise the Brickyard. I hope there are some 50 plusers who can join you.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to ride the brickyard someday. The problem has always been the steep admission - $215 for a one-day ride. And please, no lectures on how it's a worthy cause. The world is full of worthy causes, and being 'worthy' doesn't make the ride worth $215. I'm curious if being on a team brings that number down, but OTOH it won't matter for this year because I'm already registered for another ride that weekend.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raised in Beech Grove In...Go back every year for the 100 mile ride.

Completed Five 100's in 2013.

See you at 5:30 AM at The Track.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 02-07-15 at 04:09 PM.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be on a Greenspeed Trike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1osg3liOAlg

My Bikes
    2014 Trek 7.3FX,2015 Trek Domane 4.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I rode the track last year at the TDC for the first time and it was great. We are both riding it again this year so I'd love to do a lap or two with the 50+ crew.

My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1loosemoose View Post
    My wife and I rode the track last year at the TDC for the first time and it was great. We are both riding it again this year so I'd love to do a lap or two with the 50+ crew.
    What do you look like?

My Bikes
    2014 Trek 7.3FX,2015 Trek Domane 4.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    What do you look like?
    Here's the wife and I at TDC indy last year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To 10 Wheels, 1Loosemoose and anyone else interested: Thanks for the replies so far. I haven’t been back to Indy in years. I moved with my parents to Colorado after two years at Vincennes University in ’71. I've only been back once since then. The TdC ride is my “excuse” to take a 10 day road trip back “home.” Anyway, since there is some interest in a small gathering of the 50 plusers at the Indy TdC, please let me know if you would like me to create “Team Fifty Plus" or not. I have not registered yet so I can go either way. Also, since I am new to the TdC rides, I want to learn more about Team Red. I will try to keep this thread open and active so others may join us. This will be fun!

-Spoke

My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1loosemoose View Post
    Here's the wife and I at TDC indy last year.
    Thanks for the pics...I missed 2014 do to an accident

Loose.jpg

My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
    To 10 Wheels, 1Loosemoose and anyone else interested: Thanks for the replies so far. I haven’t been back to Indy in years. I moved with my parents to Colorado after two years at Vincennes University in ’71. I've only been back once since then. The TdC ride is my “excuse” to take a 10 day road trip back “home.” Anyway, since there is some interest in a small gathering of the 50 plusers at the Indy TdC, please let me know if you would like me to create “Team Fifty Plus" or not. I have not registered yet so I can go either way. Also, since I am new to the TdC rides, I want to learn more about Team Red. I will try to keep this thread open and active so others may join us. This will be fun!

-Spoke
    Hey Spoke...Go with Team Red as we are already there.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a really neat deal!

We've been very fortunate to have access to the Charlotte Motor Speedway each year. We do 10 mile rides at a brisk pace once a month from April-September. You can ride and get a time for $25. More details can be found at www.carolinatt.org/v4.

I'd be happy to share the details of our events if anyone who would like to talk with a race track in your area about doing something similar.
    Ride your Ride!!

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I considered doing the Indy ride a few years ago when I used to do the high dollar charity rides. However, I have more fun with the $30-$50 local charity rides. Since I am not much of a fund raiser, the $200+ for rides like the TdC is straight out of my pocket.

It may be my imagination, but it also seems that I get treated better by the organizers and volunteers at the cheaper rides than I do at the high dollar charity rides. At one high $ fund raising ride one year they only provided water at their rest stops... not a darned banana or anything else to be found. I forget which organization it was, but it was the last time I spent over $100 to go on a 60 mile ride.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    That's a really neat deal!

We've been very fortunate to have access to the Charlotte Motor Speedway each year. We do 10 mile rides at a brisk pace once a month from April-September. You can ride and get a time for $25. More details can be found at www.carolinatt.org/v4.

I'd be happy to share the details of our events if anyone who would like to talk with a race track in your area about doing something similar.
    I would be interested in some info. I actually asked the people up at Pocono Raceway a couple of years ago if they had a time slot open on the weekend for a group ride... Maybe if I approach it a different way they would be open to letting some cyclists ride the tricky triangle. I did notice last year they had a motorcycle charity ride (much more common around here than organized bicycle rides) that did a couple of laps of the track before heading off to whatever bar served as the finish line.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to race motorcycles out West and would ride the track on my bicycle: Sears Point (Infineon last I checked), Laguna Seca, Portland, Pahrump, Willow Springs, and others. The tracks seemed way bigger and longer on the bicycle than the motorcycle, and of course, the dynamics were totally different.
    Ride more. Fret less.

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Casual riding on an auto track without the motorized vehicles is lottsa fun, but those prices!
    Attached pictures were taken on a bicycle day in 2001 at the Hockenheim Germany Formula 1 race track. Races and time tests were held, then the entire track was open to the public for bicyclists' casual use for free.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laguna Seca has monthly twilight rides. Next one seems to be Feb 11 5:00 PM. Or you can race at Sea Otter Classic. Don't know if you can ride the track outside of the formal race program then.

scott s.

My Bikes
    1984 Miyata 310, 1989 Club Fuji, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The summer after I graduated high school, 1979, I went down to Indianapolis and rode the Speedway. It was a special event, organized by the local bike clubs. We had one hour, during the lunch break for the museum tour buses. Everyone assembled in the parking lot across the street, then rode through the tunnel between turns one and two. I got about 4 or 5 laps in, but I didn't want to just ride laps, so we were stopping and taking it all in. Having watched the race earlier that year, it was pretty cool to be there and see the skid marks, sit on pit wall, etc. where it all happened.
    1984 Miyata 310, 1989 Club Fuji, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest

My Bikes
    Volae Team, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '60's Schwinn Typhoon 2-speed kickback, Specialized Hardrock, Sun Flat-top unicycle
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Support on the track is great; tents with snacks and drink at both ends of the track, and lunch provided for all riders. There is always a massive paceline circling at high speed; I avoid that because too many folks are in over their heads. Fun time.
    This has to be a tie between re-frozen slushy uneven dirty ice stuff just right of the nicely plowed pavement, and super-glassy ice with a dusting of fresh powder - SalshShark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
    Support on the track is great; tents with snacks and drink at both ends of the track, and lunch provided for all riders. There is always a massive paceline circling at high speed; I avoid that because too many folks are in over their heads. Fun time.
    Downtube42, Are you going to be riding in this years Indy TdC?

-Spoke

My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The North Texas Tour de Cure in June starts with an opening 2.5 mile lap around the Texas Motor Speedway a bit north of Fort Worth.
    Riders who wish to do a full century will do the rural 62 mile route, then finish with laps around TMS.

Stay off the banks on Indy-style racetracks - it's relatively easy to gradually climb them, but they are very hazardous to descend and the TdC ride organizers ban it.

110723_lmra_at_play_banked_turn.jpg
    Last edited by nkfrench; 02-11-15 at 12:43 PM.

My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nkfrench View Post
    The North Texas Tour de Cure in June starts with an opening 2.5 mile lap around the Texas Motor Speedway a bit north of Fort Worth.
    Riders who wish to do a full century will do the rural 62 mile route, then finish with laps around TMS.

Stay off the banks on Indy-style racetracks - it's relatively easy to gradually climb them, but they are very hazardous to descend and the TdC ride organizers ban it.
    Bank riding on The Indy Track is allowed..No problems with it.

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    Hey Spoke...Go with Team Red as we are already there.
    I'm already registered with Team Red Indy and 10 Wheels and I are going together.

Hope to see other 50+ riders there. I've done the San Antonio TDC 100 for the last 3 years. This one should be different, should be fun.
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast