Thread: winter doldrums

My Bikes
    litespeed blue ridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

winter doldrums

Went out yesterday and I gotta say that riding in this weather--in the 20s, ice all over the place, heavy Nokian snow tires--is just dragging me down. I'm hoping that the drop in average speed is the tires and conditions and not my old age (58)! Long, long winter this year, but I guess we're still not as bad off here in Central PA as some places...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't take it anymore, I went to spin class last night and I'm going again on Thursday night. Relief is on the way here in CO, it's getting above 40* this weekend, I'm riding both days
    IGH's, Dyno Hubs, LED lights and old frames

My Bikes
    Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you. Got home from an eye watering ride into a north wind yesterday, picked up the snowshovel to clear the snow drift that had formed on my back deck and something in my back went click.

I remember my grandfather said he could feel the weather in his bones. I hope this isn't what he meant.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A string of 40's next week and I'm riding.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you. Snow here is waist deep in the yard. But, it warmed into the lower 20s yesterday. It's right at freezing now, the warmest it's been in weeks.

They've finally caught up with the roads, so today's commute will be the first with road tires in at least six weeks. (Yesterday was the first day in the middle ring in many weeks as well.)

Also my Lake winter cycling boots will stay home today. Wearing my three-seasons shoes and booties today, and my three-seasons tights and jacket.

Should be a great commute--no doubt wet from snowmelt--but liberating nonetheless. I'll let you know.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can usually ride at least once every week of the year here in Colorado Springs, but we've had two exceptionally snowy winters back to back. When it does snow here, the sun will usually melt it off the streets by lunch the next day, even up to 4". But the last two winters have been more like the midwest with snow and ice hanging on for days and weeks. And the last few days we've had light snow daily, just to add insult to injury. I am going to so enjoy spring this year!
    "When life hands you lumens, make lumen-aide!"

Yes it is a paradox
    My Bikes
    Trek, Orbea,Specilized
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "This to shall pass." Hang on just a little longer.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This winter was mild until February. If I had known, I probably would have bought studded tires, but Little Rock usually just gets one snowfall and then it melts. Not this February. It's been several weeks of sleeting off and on. But I always convinced myself that that storm was the last and studded tires would be overkill. Now, it's tonight's storm that will be the last. fingers crossed.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    61 degrees/ cloudy and not overly 'breezy' here in Tucson, AZ.
    Yup, we complain when it's cloudy for a day . . .
    However back in the '70s lived/rode in Michigan when it was dry and 20 degrees.

My Bikes
    1957 Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was plenty cold when I rode to work this morning, 42 Deg.F @ 5:15 AM in Los Angeles. But then I thought about what you cyclists up North and East are going through, I didn't even have to tell myself to HTFU.

When I rode home it was 73 Deg.F so much better! No winter doldrums here, thank you!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I awoke to a snappy -9F at 5am this morning. Cabin fever is raging. People are tired of cars not starting, pipes freezing, not to mention those brave souls working outdoors. The lakes freighter Arthur M Anderson just docked at Sturgeon Bay, Wi the other day after she had been iced in at several points on the Great Lakes.

A salute to our very local USCG cutters for bringing the men/women of the lakes in safely.
    Last edited by OldsCOOL; 03-05-15 at 04:48 AM.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back on the studs today, and back into the deep winter gear.

But yesterday... Yesterday was wonderful.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long long ago lived in Minneapolis with beautiful winters, but I eventually "chickened out." Today would not be able to cope with all the snow and cold--although back then I enjoyed cross country skying--Northern California has had such a warm and short winter--can't complain of course except for those pesky pins in my fractured big toe which will be removed next week and then back on the bike to enjoy the weather! Spring is not too far!

Tsl: It must be an experience to ride on studded tires, I wonder if the bike accumulates ice around the brakes like mud and how many layers of clothing to stay warm? Must be like the Michelin man (Bibendum)

My Bikes
    2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't complain. The weather has been pretty good in the Puget Sound area. It's been dry and sunny for several days... and the forecast says it's supposed to stay that way through the middle of next week. High temps in the low to mid 50's and approaching the mid 60's this weekend. Mornings have been cold... 21 degrees for yesterday morning's commute (I know that's nothing for many of you in the upper midwest and the northeast.)

My Bikes
    Marinoni X4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Back on the studs today, and back into the deep winter gear.

But yesterday... Yesterday was wonderful.
    Same here and again tomorrow but next week looks a little more normal. Looking forward to sheading a layer or two.