Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ace Inhibitors - Effects on excerise

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-15, 11:52 AM

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts

I just came from my 6 week follow up after my second cardiac ablation for ventricular tacycardia. So far it appears to have been successful and doctor and patient are happy. I have been riding on the trainer, I'm up to just under 10 hours last week. This week I reintroduced intervals and other than being somewhat out of shape no sign of VT.
When he did the ablation he also took a biopsy which came back negative and he feels no further treatment should be done at this time. He did , however, prescribe an Ace Inhibitor. Up until now I have not been on any medication. After the first unsuccessful ablation, performed by a different EP, I ended up with an ICD. I was given Beta Blockers which were horrible and I couldn't tollerate. So my concern is the side effects of the Ace Inhibitor as it affects exercise tolerance. The doctor assured me it does not have the negative side effects of BBs.
Does anyone here have any experience with ace inhibitors and if so how does it impact your bike riding?
Thanks
Old 03-04-15, 05:36 PM

Bikes: Felt Z100, Trek 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been on 20mg of Lisinopril, an ACE inhibitor, for at least 15 years. I can't exactly remember how it made me feel when I first started taking it but I don't think it was difficult (much easier on me than the metaprolol I was on before it which gave me night terrors). I have no side-effects that I notice and I do half-centuries and intervals without a problem.
Old 03-04-15, 05:53 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Was on them for several years, no impact noted. Had to switch to ARB because of angioedema. Did have problem with lipitor: muscle aches for 6-8 hours very obnoxious after a
50-60 mile ride. Switched to zocor and aches notably less. This will be dose related, but I was on a small dose.
Old 03-04-15, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the replies. The Doc said I shouldn't notice any adverse affects with the exception of a possible dry cough. Not that I didn't beleive him but he's not a cyclist and I wanted to hear what you guys had to say.
He has me starting at 10mg of Lisinopril. I'll probably start taking it tomorrow. I kind of pride myself on not being on any meds but if it helps and it doesn't hurt my cycling so be it.

Last edited by TCR Rider; 03-05-15 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-04-15, 07:58 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
One common side effect of ACE inhibitors is non productive coughing which increases as respirations increase. It usually occurs soon after starting the medication but can appear at any time. This may be an issue as you increase the workload on your cardiovascular system.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-04-15, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
actually, ace inhibitors work by opening blood flow and can increased aerobic performance. They don't slow the heart rate like beta blockers. They can cause chronic coughing in some people. I had that problem and now take Losartn 100 mg.
Old 03-04-15, 09:23 PM

So it sounds like the cough is the biggest issue pertaining to aerobic exercise. The Doc did say if I get one he would change the medication. Based on what Riskdr1 said you can work around it with a different med.
Old 03-04-15, 09:58 PM

Thanks Bill. I don't have enough posts to send a PM yet so consider this a reply
Old 03-05-15, 08:33 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I'm on both Ace Inhibitors and Beta Blockers - I'm pretty sure it is the Beta Blockers that try to steal my endurance........ But at least I'm still breathing..... lol
Old 03-05-15, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by RISKDR1
actually, ace inhibitors work by opening blood flow and can increased aerobic performance. They don't slow the heart rate like beta blockers. They can cause chronic coughing in some people. I had that problem and now take Losartn 100 mg.
Doc did the same thing for me. Was on 10 mg Lisinopril for about two weeks and developed a non-productive cough. Now I'm on 50 mg Losartan until we can figure out what caused this sudden sudden episode of hypertension. Never had hypertension prior to coming down with bronchitis and a sinus infection during the last week of January.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-05-15, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by John_V
Doc did the same thing for me. Was on 10 mg Lisinopril for about two weeks and developed a non-productive cough. Now I'm on 50 mg Losartan until we can figure out what caused this sudden sudden episode of hypertension. Never had hypertension prior to coming down with bronchitis and a sinus infection during the last week of January.
So you get the same benefit with the Losartan as with the Lisinopril without the cough? I was not given the prescription for high BP but for the arrhythmia.
Old 03-05-15, 06:24 PM

Talk with your doctor to see if Losartan is a good replacement for you in the event you should start having the coughing side effect.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-06-15, 07:49 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 6.0 DI2, Trek Domane 4, Trek Marlin 6, Trek FX 7.5, Electra Townie Path

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Quiet One
I've been on 20mg of Lisinopril, an ACE inhibitor, for at least 15 years. I can't exactly remember how it made me feel when I first started taking it but I don't think it was difficult (much easier on me than the metaprolol I was on before it which gave me night terrors). I have no side-effects that I notice and I do half-centuries and intervals without a problem.

Thanks for sharing that. I feel better. I was having some Oral surgery about 4 weeks ago and they checked my BP as routine. The staff thought their machine was broken. It was really high at 178/135. I have no idea what caused it or why. Last time I saw the Doc was at Christmas when I had the Flu and my BP was 144/105. Doc put me the med and dose you are on. After 3 weeks my BP is 135/75. The first two weeks I felt a little weird and sort of lethargic about riding. When I did ride I got some weird HR readings on my monitor, so much I double checked with a second monitor. The monitor was right. I was having strange HR readings. HR seems pretty normal now when I ride and I am almost my normal self now.

Last edited by GaIslander; 03-06-15 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-06-15, 08:10 AM

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I'm on Lisinopril and the only thing that I noticed was the occasional dry cough.

I'm also on a beta blocker and it really bothers my riding as it keeps my heart rate way down. I've been known to only take a half dosage before a big ride and skip it altogether if it's going to be hot. Blood pumping through your body is somewhat similar to the cooling system in a car. You don't want the pump to be working too slow on a hot day!
Old 03-06-15, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by JerrySTL
I'm on Lisinopril and the only thing that I noticed was the occasional dry cough.

I'm also on a beta blocker and it really bothers my riding as it keeps my heart rate way down. I've been known to only take a half dosage before a big ride and skip it altogether if it's going to be hot. Blood pumping through your body is somewhat similar to the cooling system in a car. You don't want the pump to be working too slow on a hot day!
After my first ablation and ICD implant I was put on Beta Blockers and really hated them. I felt like I was stuck in second gear, I actually cut the dose in half and finally the doc took me off them. I started on the Lisinopril yesterday.....waiting for the cough to start.
Old 03-08-15, 12:48 AM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
With or without an ace inhibitor, once you're working hard, you veins and arteries will open to the max. Blood pressure will increase. Lisinopril might let you warm up faster. It probably won't make you faster.

When you're resting, your lisinopril will keep your arteries and veins relaxed, lowering your normal blood pressure, whatever it is. That can help you, at least statistically, live longer.

I'm on lisinopril because of short-lived, unexplained high BP. With the drug, my normally low blood pressure is very low all the time. I have no side effects. There is zero effect on my riding ability.
Old 03-08-15, 09:37 AM

With the drug, my normally low blood pressure is very low all the time. I have no side effects. There is zero effect on my riding ability.

I've been taking it for three days now and did my first ride yesterday. No issues to speak of. Granted it was on the trainer, still deluged with snow and ice here, but I did get after it and rode 45 pseudo miles. I'm hoping it continues to work for me.
I checked my BP last night and while not high naturally it was 114/49 on the lisinopril.

I