User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Day Back...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st Day Back...

I've been absent from these forums for about half a year now. I met my first (I'm sure it won't be my last) physical challenge that kept me off the bike for much longer than I want. I was finally diagnosed with Iliotibial Band Syndrome. It was virtually impossible to ride. Climbing stairs was quite painful, and walking more than 100 yards was a challenge. I was so down about this sudden change in ability, that I couldn't even think about bikes or anything to do with them. As those around me said, I was in a funk. Today, however, was the first day where I rode without any pain. I'm eager for tomorrow morning to see if I'm pain free. (I really think I will be.). And, I'm feeling like there is hope for cycling again. For those who have recovered from much more serious conditions to continue riding, you have my admiration and respect.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back, best wishes, and thanks for the post.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back. I know a little bit of what you've been through - I've had injuries and other problems that have kept me off the bike for similar periods of time. "normal" (i.e., non-riders) in my life have no idea how much injury this does to my spirits. When I haven't been able to ride and haven't even been sure if I could ever come back to riding, I haven't been able to read this forum - it's just too psychically painful.

I truly hope you are on the road to full recovery and have many miles in your near future. Of course, you'll have to take it one ride at a time, and have some patience, but there's nothing like a bike ride to lift one's spirits, even if it's a shadow of the ride you used to do.

My Bikes
    Stradalli RP-14 Carbon, Motobecane 700HT MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back. Now that you have a ride under your belt the future will look much better. I have had my share of injuries and always missed riding. It helps you to appreciate the times you can ride. I hope your next rides go as well.
    www.Texbiker.net/blog/
    Texas Bicycling News, Events, Experiences

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOS, have you tracked down what caused the ITB issue in the first place?

I had it chronically for about a year, and exacerbated it when pushing hard at low cadence (generally while touring, but also on a highly geared road bike).

I also fiddled with the Q on my cranks a little -- using MTB cranks means one side can be further away from the seat tube or centreline than the other. Cleats weren't an issue because I was using Time Atac with generous float. However, I also trimmed away a small section of the sole of my shoe so that I could clip out more easily -- the rubber was fouling the springs in the pedals and I had to use more than usual force to twist out the cleat, and that was a big problem for me late in a 600km randonnee when I almost fell off the bike trying to unclip.

Those changes along with riding at higher cadences, lower gears up hills with loads and using a stretch helped overcome the issue.

I get an occasional twinge, and this more so now I have gone to Shimano pedals (but with the 3-degree float).; I've recently rotated the cleat on one of my new pair of shoes to help solve that twinge.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its good to see a note from you, hopefully your trouble with the ITB are on the way out. Most of us here can well identify with what you have been dealing with, take it easy to start out and ramp up as you feel best.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you that your issue had been diagnosed, solution prescribed with actions leading to positive results. Keep on biking.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back ... again. I don't know which was worse, your untimely "death" or the 6 month absence without knowing.

My Bikes
    Trek Mtn Bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear you're better. I had ITB but milder 10-15 yrs ago. Spent 6 wks doing physical therapy then still did some of the exercises for quite a while after that. Sometimes while stretching my back I can still feel extra tightness. Good luck with your continued recovery.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had ITB syndrome too a few years ago and it also took me about 6 months to get rid of it entirely. mostly I think, for me, because I didn't get on the foam roller band wagon right away. what do you attribute your recovery to?

back on the bike I would caution to stay away from
    cold temps
    gearing too high
    I forget the 3rd thing sorry, maybe saddle to high?

anyway, take it easy and build up your strength if you haven't been using an indoor trainer

welcome back! have fun!
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back! I didn't know you were gone, because I was gone, too, for about a year and a half or more. Good to see you and hear your optimism. Best of luck!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh oh! First we have the Deege coming back and now we have NOS88. There goes the neighborhood. Happy days are here again.
    My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a cold, cruel world.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Oh oh! First we have the Deege coming back and now we have NOS88. There goes the neighborhood. Happy days are here again.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    It's a cold, cruel world.
    I had almost turned into a lurker on 50+. For better or worse, I may turn back into a regular poster again.
    My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gosh I hope so! I love your posts...

I had almost turned into a lurker on 50+. For better or worse, I may turn back into a regular poster again.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back NOS88. I know nothing about the condition, but it sounds like others have overcome it, so here's hoping for a full recovery.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

My Bikes
    Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back young man and hope things are on the mend for you..
    Trek Fuel EX9.0 Trek Fuel EX9.5 Trek Equinox 9.9SSL TTX Trek Madone 6.9 Pro Red Project One, Trek Boone 7, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Carbon District

My Bikes
    2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember my year away from biking due to a bulging disk in my neck; and like you and MinMann, when I didn't know if I'd be able to return, I couldn't bear to read bikeforums.net. Welcome back, with prayers for your ongoing recovery.
    "When life hands you lumens, make lumen-aide!"

My Bikes
    Enough bikes...for today!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, tenacity! Welcome back, sir!
    '69 Raleigh Sports, '72 Atala Record Pro, '82 Stan Pike (made for me!), '08? Serotta Legend Ti

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    NOS, have you tracked down what caused the ITB issue in the first place?

I had it chronically for about a year, and exacerbated it when pushing hard at low cadence (generally while touring, but also on a highly geared road bike).

I also fiddled with the Q on my cranks a little -- using MTB cranks means one side can be further away from the seat tube or centreline than the other. Cleats weren't an issue because I was using Time Atac with generous float. However, I also trimmed away a small section of the sole of my shoe so that I could clip out more easily -- the rubber was fouling the springs in the pedals and I had to use more than usual force to twist out the cleat, and that was a big problem for me late in a 600km randonnee when I almost fell off the bike trying to unclip.

Those changes along with riding at higher cadences, lower gears up hills with loads and using a stretch helped overcome the issue.

I get an occasional twinge, and this more so now I have gone to Shimano pedals (but with the 3-degree float).; I've recently rotated the cleat on one of my new pair of shoes to help solve that twinge.
    Yes, we know that initial injury was an overstretching of the ITB during a misstep and knee twisting event. It was misdiagnosed & the physical therapy actually made it worse. However, that did lead to a more accurate diagnosis. It seems that over developed quads contribute to the gluteus medius and minimus being under used. This then creates a higher risk for ITB syndrome. So, I'm working on exercises to (as my son says) strengthen my a$$.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oxtc View Post
    Welcome back ... again. I don't know which was worse, your untimely "death" or the 6 month absence without knowing.
    Perhaps I should adopt the name Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    I had ITB syndrome too a few years ago and it also took me about 6 months to get rid of it entirely. mostly I think, for me, because I didn't get on the foam roller band wagon right away. what do you attribute your recovery to?
    Given I was dealing with an overstretched band, the foam rollers turned out to actually make the situation worse. So, as mentioned above, I worked on the ole a$$. Actually it turns out the moderate hiking with a backpack is an easy way to engage these muscles. So, I took progressively longer, moderately paced, walks with a backpack.

Oh, yes, and a big thanks for all the well wishes. They truly are appreciated.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Yes, we know that initial injury was an overstretching of the ITB during a misstep and knee twisting event. It was misdiagnosed & the physical therapy actually made it worse. However, that did lead to a more accurate diagnosis. It seems that over developed quads contribute to the gluteus medius and minimus being under used. This then creates a higher risk for ITB syndrome. So, I'm working on exercises to (as my son says) strengthen my a$$.
    Hmmmm. I see potential for a recumbent bicycle in your future.

My Bikes
    08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome back - exercise sure doesn't get any easier with age. Keep up the good work, and start getting some miles....

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to see you NOS. I haven't been as active on the forums lately, still cycling, but not on the forums much until lately.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Strava account

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post

Perhaps I should adopt the name Phoenix

Given I was dealing with an overstretched band, the foam rollers turned out to actually make the situation worse. So, as mentioned above, I worked on the ole a$$. Actually it turns out the moderate hiking with a backpack is an easy way to engage these muscles. So, I took progressively longer, moderately paced, walks with a backpack.

Oh, yes, and a big thanks for all the well wishes. They truly are appreciated.
    glad to see you back. know what you mean about the funk after an injury. it seems for your case you know the cause. for benefit of others wishing to learn about this:

Iliotibial band syndrome in runners: innovations in treatment. - PubMed - NCBI

as you say we cyclists need a strong butt!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just recently started reading and posting again. Good to see some of the old regulars returning.
    =============================================================

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast