Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

N+1: Am I crazy or just a "normal" cyclist?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-15, 12:20 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As many of you know, I just returned to cycling after about a 2 year absence. I had both my Masi and Globe Vienna tuned up. I am farther out of shape than I had thought and far less flexible, which resulted in a fall from the Globe simply trying to demount. My plan to ease back into cycling is to ride the Globe until my butt is broken in and my confidence in general has been restored.

Living in Reno, I've discovered there's FAR more bike paths and trails to explore than I found in my old home town. And they're far closer. And there's no traffic on them which I consider a bonus.

I read the +1-1 thread from yesterday and my interest in the new (to me) Trek DS series was sparked.I could ride street AND trail with one of those. Spent some time online looking over the models, and got to thinking perhaps this is the best bike (or something similar) for me these days. That's for me to sort out, of course, and that's what I should do...

But (and this is where a good bike therapist might be helpful) there's something inside me that has me considering visiting the local Trek dealer. Like today. Like before I'm really reacclimated to cycling. Like before I've sold the Masi or the Globe. And bringing one home.

Am I nuts? I don't need THREE bikes. But right now, the Masi is intimidating to me (who would have thought?) and the Globe is a little too clunky. Help me before I leave for the Trek store! Would you buy first, and then sell the other(s), or would you sell first, and then buy?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-19-15, 12:26 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
you're the same kind of nuts as the rest of us, but why sell the Masi?

Unless your financial situation is tight or you have issues with storage space, the advice around here is always - sure, buy another bike!

(I was pretty certain that the trails in Reno would be abundant. Enjoy them.)
Old 03-19-15, 12:27 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I don't understand the question.

Are you implying that "crazy" and "normal cyclist" might be mutually exclusive? And "nuts" "nuts is in there too.
Old 03-19-15, 12:30 PM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I felt there was no need for 2 road bikes. That's why I sold my Madone. And i decided to force me to sell it, i would not buy the DS until it was gone.

I didn't have to sell it but as it stand, there's already 8 bikes stored in my garage and I didn't have room for a 9th.
Old 03-19-15, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by oldnslow2
I felt there was no need for 2 road bikes. That's why I sold my Madone. And i decided to force me to sell it, i would not buy the DS until it was gone.

I didn't have to sell it but as it stand, there's already 8 bikes stored in my garage and I didn't have room for a 9th.
Couldn't you buy a house that has a bigger garage?
Old 03-19-15, 01:04 PM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Couldn't you buy a house that has a bigger garage?
I live on Long Island where a postage stamp size house costs $500,000. Also my son is a hard core cyclist and stores most of his bikes in my garage, so there's currently 8 bikes, my vintage VW along with spares and lawn equipment.

I just don't need 2 carbon road bikes.

Now the DS will allow me to ride 8 miles to the preserver where there's plenty of trails and ride home. It also allows me to ride on roads that are in less than ideal condition. In weather that's wet and inclement. I also got pedals that have SPD cleats on one side and are flat on the other so I can use it to take a casual ride with my wife who's not a cyclist. I can also use it to run errands to the food store or ride to the car repair shop.

The DS also has tabs for fenders and I could put a rack on the back.

It's a very versatile bike and is a totally different experience than a road bike.

So why would I need a 2nd road bike?
Old 03-19-15, 06:40 PM

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
I sold a Ross Mt. McKinney mtn bike because I just can't convince myself to like an aluminum framed bike. I decided I was happy with my 2 Surly's . Then I found a Mongoose brutus fat tire bike on the clearance isle . Now I,m happy 3 bikes Is plenty. Then a co-worker asked do you want a bike? It's in a basket, and Italian how could you turn that down
Roy
Old 03-19-15, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Are you implying that "crazy" and "normal cyclist" might be mutually exclusive? And "nuts" "nuts is in there too.
+1
Old 03-20-15, 03:51 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Am I nuts? I don't need THREE bikes. But right now, the Masi is intimidating to me (who would have thought?) and the Globe is a little too clunky. Help me before I leave for the Trek store! Would you buy first, and then sell the other(s), or would you sell first, and then buy?

Pretty sure that asking a bunch of already nutty bicycle owners of n+1+1+1........, kinda hints of your sanity and you know the answer you will receive.

Why is the Masi intimidating???? After a 15+ year layoff from riding, I didn't use the toe straps on my road bike for the spin around the block used to assure myself that training wheels were not required.
Old 03-20-15, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Before I moved into the condo where I'm living now I didn't think that I needed a garage. Now I can clearly see that an attached garage with an electric door lift is one of life's most under appreciated necessities. And the only thing better than a 2 car garage would be a 3 car garage. We've already had another poster this week lamenting space to store an additional bike and he didn't take kindly to my suggestion that he move to a house with a bigger garage.

Right now You can't see that you need 3 bicycles because you've never had 3 bicycles. Just make sure they all have different tires. That way you can select whichever one that best matches the kind of ride you are planning that day. Trust me, the only thing better than owning 3 different styles of bicycles would be owning 4 different styles of bicycles. N + 1 forever.
Old 03-20-15, 07:15 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I sold a couple of bikes recently, so I am down to 4 and the wife sold one so she is back to two.
I am currently considering adding one, but can not make up my mind between two types, so that one may turn into adding two. I do not see your problem.
Old 03-20-15, 07:41 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
You could always screw a few hooks in a ceiling, and hang any unused bikes over the ones you are using...................
Old 03-20-15, 07:56 AM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
........ But (and this is where a good bike therapist might be helpful) there's something inside me that has me considering visiting the local Trek dealer. Like today. Like before I'm really reacclimated to cycling. Like before I've sold the Masi or the Globe. And bringing one home.

Am I nuts? I don't need THREE bikes.
There are hobbies inside of every hobby. It is very easy to love bicycles. Not every cyclist has a herd or collection of bicycles.... but I don't understand those that don't.

What concerns me is why you [might] think that you should limit your enjoyment... only to your items of "need". After all, humans have a very limited amount of immediate needs.
Old 03-20-15, 08:01 AM

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
A year ago I started out with a DS thinking this is the only bike I will need. Then I test rode a Domane and remembered my Motobecane days in high school. I didn't buy the Domane but I did buy a road bike. This should be enough I thought as I trolled the 'net looking at fatbikes and blathering on about them endlessly. Lo and behold, a fatbike shows up at christmas ala the wife. Then i started trainer riding and decided I needed my own. But none of my three bikes will fit in the truck when i go back to work. So I found a 26" wheeled 90's mountain bike for cheap.

So in the span of a year I went from 1 to 4 bikes and a trainer. Clearly I'm not the person to ask.
Old 03-20-15, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts

Old 03-20-15, 09:08 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts

+1 That pretty much nails it.

Old 03-20-15, 09:10 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I do understand being intimidated by the Masi. There could be a few reasons. In my case, if I am out of training I want to ride my less sporty bikes because that way i feel OK just tooling around, building my base. When I get on my Felt, the *bike* wants to go fast, and I have a hard time reining in my expectations of myself. When I am on my KHS, just pedaling easy at 15 MPH is plenty of fun and enjoyment. The KHS is not anybody's idea of a great bike, but in the right mood and on the right ride, I love it.

And at the same time, i understand that some bikes are so clunky that they get in the way of the simple pleasure of riding.

So I think a trip to the Trek shop is quite sane in your case.
Old 03-20-15, 09:52 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I do understand being intimidated by the Masi.

So I think a trip to the Trek shop is quite sane in your case.
Well, intimidated is probably too strong a word. But I do feel less "ready" to ride the Masi than a couple of years ago. I'm woefully out of shape compared to then, for instance. I find the Masi less forgiving of mistakes I might make. I even have a bit of a fear of the road here in Reno - many of the roads have no bike lane, and while I used to be quite comfortable with that, right now I'm not so lackadaisical.

That said, I think some miles under a slower, heavier bike would allow me to rebuild my confidence. Which is why I'm riding the Globe now - and I can see actual progress with each ride (progress is so much easier in the beginning of things!).

I went to the Trek store, and I really liked the DS. But, as the salesperson pointed out, so much has to do with where I plan to ride - and in Reno, there is a clear choice between paved bike trails, and some really scenic rides in areas off Mt. Rose Highway, for those who know the area. For the same money, she suggested I also consider a mountain bike - specifically, a 29-incher. I took a look and liked that one too.

My next step is to take a closer look at the trails around me and decide where I'd prefer to ride. Or, just get two more bikes - the DS and the MTG.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-20-15, 10:01 AM

Or, just get two more bikes - the DS and the MTG.
I'm loving it
Old 03-20-15, 10:27 AM

Bikes: A few...

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
After my multiple surgeries in multiple years pretty much forcing me to put off cycling for a while, I don't feel intimidated at all. It's like riding a bike -- Once learned, you never forget.

What I DO find intimidating is the realization that I'll have to build my stamina back up to the point where I can ride 60+ miles in an afternoon. It starts with five mile rides, then ten... But I know that I WILL get it back!!!