Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help! Endurance bicycle vs. CAADX

Just getting back into sport. I'm thinking of Synapse Alloy 105 or a CAADX. Roads are very crappy with a lot of sand/gravel. Pretty hilly area as well. I can't imagine riding more than 50 miles per week. I'm 5'7", 155 lbs, and pretty fit. Two LBS, one sells Cannondale the other Trek. Any advice would be great.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    xGood to have you on B.F. Hunterdog. I have a synapse and a caad, not a X. I would recommend the synapse because its a road bike but has capable off road abilities with tires like gatorskins. Also the synapse can use 28 size tires. I guess i have to ask you more about the roads or lack there of. A hardtail mountain bike might be a good choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Synapse in your situation. The CAAD 10 is light, stiff, and fast. Look at the word stiff. Racers like them because they respond very quickly under almost any racing conditions. However, there are those who say that they can be harsh. The Synapse is designed to have a smoother ride and will soften rough surfaces. If you've got a lot of rough pavement and are just getting back, the Synapse is an excellent bike.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    while you are at it, take a look at the trek Domane....
    but none of our advice will do you near as much good as a test ride.

My Bikes
    2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2007 Cannondale Synapse SL2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a carbon fiber synapse. I don't know how differently that rides in comparison to an alloy frame... but, I've been extremely happy with my synapse. The trek domane looks like an excellent bike, too.

My Bikes
    Madone 5.2, Cannondale F400 & CAADX, Salsa El Mariachi 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll chime in. I have a Madonne and a CAADX. They are different sized frames however they feel EXACTLY the same when I ride them. That being said the CAADX may be a tad more uncomfortable to ride for a long period of time for you as it has a more aggressive fit. The Synapse, with some fatter touring type tires may really be a plush ride for you. Test ride 'em man, you won't regret it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for the Trek Domane (my ride). The ride is smooth even on rough pavement plus you have the added benefit of tubeless ready wheels. If you put tubeless tires on, you reduce the psi significantly without losing speed while gaining a more comfortable ride without the threat of pinch flats. Plus, the number of flats should zero or near zero for the entire riding season.

FYI - I have recently become a tubeless convert and I am sure there are others who have differing opinions about tubeless but, that is what makes this forum great.

YMMV

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are a few Suspension seat posts to put under your saddle Cane Creeks is good , but not super light I own that one.

Ergon seat post looks good in the C F designs. ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida.
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried the Synapse and the CAADX but settled on a CAAD 10. Rode it for 4 months until it was destroyed in a car-bike crash. The other guy's insurance paid quite well so I replaced it with a 2015 SuperSix EVO carbon. Much nicer the the CAAD 10 or the Synapse.
    Give the SuperSix a try before making your decision.

BTW: I'm 70 y/o.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year, I sold my road bike (Bianchi) and my flat bar all-around bike (Scott). I bought a CAADX and couldn't be more pleased. The geometry is a tiny bit more upright than the Bianchi, and it is extremely comfortable. I ride it about 50/50 on gravel and pavement, and it performs well on both surfaces. I also use it as my main bike for commuting to my part-time job. If I were looking for a replacement for it, I'd probably go for another CAADX or build up a steel bike with similar geometry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the advice. Took a number if bikes for test rides (finally some nice weather!). I rode a CAADX, a couple of Synapse, and a Specialized Roubaix. I even ride a hybrid which honestly I liked. I liked the Roubaix the best but about $700 beyond planned budget. The Synapse Carbon 105 6 was a very close second, and the alloy Synapse 105 disc was just in third. I did notice that the Roubaix had a carbon seat post while Cannondale does not; can that make that much of a difference? I'm so confused at this point I may just buy the hybrid and save some dough.

My Bikes
    '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the carbon seatpost can make a big difference, in some comparisons. I have a carbon seat post and fork on my Specialized Sirrus, and it rides better than all-alloy peers that I've ridden. More importantly to me: consider tire size; the bigger, the cushier, generally. Consider finding the best feeling/fitting bike in a preferred price range, and getting 28c or bigger tires on it. Cross bikes tend to come with bigger tires, explaining part of the cushier ride, usually along with more relaxed geometry. Be patient, enjoy the shopping, and expect to compromise because there are SO many options and combinations.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just came across this thread and felt compelled to chime in. Look at the intended riding style. If you liked the Roubaix and Synapse the best, and both in carbon form, then the hybrid better than those two, your riding preference is upright, and not particularly fast. The road bikes tend to, but not always, put a rider more forward and lower. They are road bikes, after all. Hybrids are kind of like road bikes, but will flat bars. They tend to, but not always, put the rider in a more upright position.
    The point is, if the hybrid really felt more natural to your liking, then it is likely you prefer a more relaxed riding condition, not going out with the boys and doing stop sign sprints. Get the hybrid, ride it, and as you progress a road bike may be in the future...Synapse with disc brakes!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine riding more than 50 miles per week.
    wont need to overspend on a bike then .. A friend in town does more than that for maintaining fitness to wait tables and tend Bar.

She got a Trek Neko flat bar with Ergon Grips .. reach to the bars is a stem choice , you choose .

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    wont need to overspend on a bike then .. A friend in town does more than that for maintaining fitness to wait tables and tend Bar.

She got a Trek Neko flat bar with Ergon Grips .. reach to the bars is a stem choice , you choose .
    Really. Less than 50 miles per week and almost anything would work, hybrid, mtb, beach cruiser, etc.