Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Stem Rise

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant Trance X 29er, Giant OCR C2
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Stem Rise

    Hi - I'm currently riding my road bike with what I believe is a 7 degree rise. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis and I have noticed some pain to my abdomen/intestine areas during road rides. Interestingly, this does not happen on my mountain bike and I believe this is because I am sitting more upward on the mountain bike than the road bike. I think I need to go to a stem with a greater rise and perhaps shorter than the 90mm I'm running now. Has anyone had any experience with getting their ride position more upward on a road bike? How much of a rise should I consider? Suggestions? I really enjoy the road bike and don't want to give it up. Feedback is appreciated!

  2. #2
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    1,507
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pictures? what is the bike as is? Stem: quill or threadless?

  3. #3
    Speed is Life... UnfilteredDregs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NYC, duh Bronx.
    My Bikes
    Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ HED Ardennes +
    Posts
    1,167
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diverticulitis is treatable and highly manageable, unless it's gotten way out of hand. I assume you've been to a gastroenterologist???

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant Trance X 29er, Giant OCR C2
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    pictures? what is the bike as is? Stem: quill or threadless?
    The bike is a 2006 Giant OCR C2 and i believe its threadless...

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant Trance X 29er, Giant OCR C2
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right except that my "moderate" case got out of hand recently and landed me in the hospital for a few days. I've seen a gastroenterologist. It seems that I aggravate something when I'm on the road bike and I want to work at alleviating that. I've gone months with no issues and then I will go on a road ride and I experience lower left area pain and it's either during the ride or soon after that it occurs. I want to try adjusting my riding position to see if that works......

  6. #6
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    1,507
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  7. #7
    Speed is Life... UnfilteredDregs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NYC, duh Bronx.
    My Bikes
    Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ HED Ardennes +
    Posts
    1,167
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nakos2000 View Post
    You're right except that my "moderate" case got out of hand recently and landed me in the hospital for a few days. I've seen a gastroenterologist. It seems that I aggravate something when I'm on the road bike and I want to work at alleviating that. I've gone months with no issues and then I will go on a road ride and I experience lower left area pain and it's either during the ride or soon after that it occurs. I want to try adjusting my riding position to see if that works......

    It runs in my family. I get screened yearly, I have family members that have polyps removed as needed based upon the screenings, etc.. The surgery becomes an inevitability if the condition goes unmanaged, it can lead to worse as well. If you haven't considered surgery in the proactive sense it may be something to look into before it impacts your lifestyle significantly. Best of luck.

  8. #8
    Thread Killer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,970
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The good news is that stems are cheap and easy to swap, so while you probably won't find anything shorter than 80mm, you can start with a +17 stem, try it, and get a lower one as preferred.
    Chaad--'95 DeKerf Team SL, '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '05 Novara Buzz, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '06 Mountain Cycle Rumble, '09 Dahon Mariner D7, '12 Mercier Nano, '12 Breezer Venturi

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Brentwood, TN
    My Bikes
    Novara Trenta Road, Trek ZX6000 MTB
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should check out an adjustable stem rise stem like the one in this link http://www.jensonusa.com/Kalloy-Road...able-Rise-Stem. That way you play with the angle to find the one that works for you. The shortest length it comes in is 90mm, but as you increase the rise the bars come closer to you so you are reducing your reach to the bars.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant Trance X 29er, Giant OCR C2
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs View Post
    It runs in my family. I get screened yearly, I have family members that have polyps removed as needed based upon the screenings, etc.. The surgery becomes an inevitability if the condition goes unmanaged, it can lead to worse as well. If you haven't considered surgery in the proactive sense it may be something to look into before it impacts your lifestyle significantly. Best of luck.
    Thanks! So far the docs don't think its so severe that surgery is needed. I appreciate your comments.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant Trance X 29er, Giant OCR C2
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking along those lines. Thanks for the suggestion.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant Trance X 29er, Giant OCR C2
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc V View Post
    You should check out an adjustable stem rise stem like the one in this link http://www.jensonusa.com/Kalloy-Road...able-Rise-Stem. That way you play with the angle to find the one that works for you. The shortest length it comes in is 90mm, but as you increase the rise the bars come closer to you so you are reducing your reach to the bars.
    Yeah, that looks like a decent starting point. Thanks!

  13. #13
    Speed is Life... UnfilteredDregs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NYC, duh Bronx.
    My Bikes
    Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ HED Ardennes +
    Posts
    1,167
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nakos2000 View Post
    Thanks! So far the docs don't think its so severe that surgery is needed. I appreciate your comments.

    Cool, I wasn't trying to be rude, it hits close to home...

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant Trance X 29er, Giant OCR C2
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs View Post
    Cool, I wasn't trying to be rude, it hits close to home...
    No worries. Thanks for the perspective!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •