Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fitting Your Bike (http://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-your-bike/)
-   -   Shorty Needs Help (http://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-your-bike/926462-shorty-needs-help.html)

Davekyn 12-17-13 12:32 AM

Shorty Needs Help
 
EDIT ...

Disgusted with "rnorris" Have decided not to even waste my time in this forum.

Try getting out of your Lycra once and while buddy ...

Adios.

ironwood 12-17-13 04:16 AM

26" size? Are you referring to the length of the seat tube or the tire size?
No shorter cranks will not put you closer to the ground. If any thing you might have to raise the seat 5mm.

chaadster 12-17-13 08:11 AM

Yes, you'd want longer cranks to get closer to ground, but I'm guessing a 20" wheeled, low stepover bike, like a Dahon folding type, would be a better solution.

rnorris 12-17-13 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davekyn (Post 16336081)
Hi, my inseam is only 28 inches and Im 5 foot 7. I have short legs I guess.

I generally aim for a frame size of 26

Will shortening the crank a little (from 170-165) help me with having my seat closer to the ground?

I always seem to have to climb up on bike after adjusting the seat height to account for my bent knee to ball of foot fitting test. Whenever I stop at traffic lights I have to jump off the bike and lean over as well.

I dont mind if I have to change gears more often because I lose some leverage if it means I can get my seat a little lower to the ground. I think most of the Cheap Kmart bikes that I service without issue have cranks around 170 --- does that sound about right?

Are there many bikes online that are sold with cranks at 165? or am I asking the wrong question.

What do I want to do? I want to straddle my bike and ride without having to climb a ladder or jump off it every time I stop. The cheap bikes have been good to me, I learned how to service them I can get my knee bend and ball of foot right and fly around like no tomorrow, but --- alas, I am simply too far off the ground for my body shape.

Looking to buy just a mountain bike for around town I just want to commute and will also look into getting a bike trailer as well mostly bike paths to fishing spots on the coast. Also another reason I am going to have to fit myself right this time, I wont be able to lean the bike much with a bike trailer hey? Ill need to be able to have complete control at least with my tippy toes. LOL Oh yea, the other thing is my knees as well - my knees just seem to high when I lower the seat ...

Any thoughts would be good.
Cheers
Dave.

I have the same inseam you do (although I'm several inches shorter in height) and have never had the problems you describe, except on bikes with frames that are far too large. My mountain bikes are usually in the 15" or "small" frame size, my road bikes have averaged 47cm, and I can reach the ground just fine on all of them. Without seeing a picture of you on your bike I can't tell for certain what the issue is, but it sounds like you're trying to ride a bike that is far too large, or has a really unusual geometry. You're right that most bikes are sold with 170mm cranks; you can go to 165s but I doubt that will do enough to satisfy you.

If you get a single wheel trailer- yes it will be troublesome if you load it up and have to tilt the bike/trailer combo at stops. I have a single wheel BOB and learned that fact early on, and it's magnified in my case because I'm small. It's fine when I'm under way. I don't have experience with 2 wheel trailers, but I suspect they're much less mulish in that regard.

Davekyn 12-17-13 03:12 PM

"rnorris"I have the same inseam you do (although I'm several inches shorter in height) and have never had the problems you describe, except on bikes with frames that are far too large.............FAR TOO LARGE & GEOMATRY bla bla This guy may as well call me a lier ... Pfft!

BuzZ Kill ... Sigh. Some people just have no idea how to communicate. Always require more information and give none in return - the type to say, It's already been discussed bla bla bla MATE, your too critcal and I have no more interest in even attempting to source info from you.

BUZZ KILL! ... over and Out!

How many critics you have like this in here - actually don't wast a post . I'm out of here for good. Typical Lycra crowed!

RPK79 12-17-13 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davekyn (Post 16337865)
"rnorris"I have the same inseam you do (although I'm several inches shorter in height) and have never had the problems you describe, except on bikes with frames that are far too large.............FAR TOO LARGE & GEOMATRY bla bla This guy may as well call me a lier ... Pfft!

BuzZ Kill ... Sigh. Some people just have no idea how to communicate. Always require more information and give none in return - the type to say, It's already been discussed bla bla bla MATE, your too critcal and I have no more interest in even attempting to source info from you.

BUZZ KILL! ... over and Out!

How many critics you have like this in here - actually don't wast a post . I'm out of here for good. Typical Lycra crowed!

Wow. Davekyn gets a solid polite response and reacts like this? I'm glad this is their last post!

rnorris 12-17-13 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPK79 (Post 16337903)
Wow. Davekyn gets a solid polite response and reacts like this? I'm glad this is their last post!

If the OP is still reading this thread... I had no intention of belittling you or attacking you in my post. I was using my own example as a short person to show that it is possible to find a bike that doesn't require you to face the difficulties you've encountered, and perhaps it came across as judgemental. If so, that was unintentional and I truly apologize. I hope you find a bike and trailer that works well for you.

fietsbob 12-22-13 01:53 PM

Hey, if The fit on the bike is more important than the wheel size ,
Bike Friday builds bikes to fit their customers , as they Order them , ...


the 451 wheel would offer a skinny tire go fast bike ,
the 406 wheel a rugged go anywhere bike .

and they take up less room in the house than a Big wheel Bike.

Davekyn 12-23-13 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 16351358)
Hey, if The fit on the bike is more important than the wheel size ,
Bike Friday builds bikes to fit their customers , as they Order them , ...


the 451 wheel would offer a skinny tire go fast bike ,
the 406 wheel a rugged go anywhere bike .

and they take up less room in the house than a Big wheel Bike.

Thanks Mate.

Much aprecieated.

As for the rest - intention can not hide the obvious need to pull eachother apart. It's basic human falability that I reacted to. I'm over it now - what was - was and what is, shall remain as it is. Feel free to continue it if you like.

I'm ready to post away - but shall do so under a fresh topic and perhaps even with pictures of my new bike, when I am ready to purchase. No worries norris.

All me - not you. Going through a rough patch - so instead of ignoring your reply, I'll accept is and move on. Have a good one.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:48 PM.