Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fixed Gear Freestyle (http://www.bikeforums.net/fixed-gear-freestyle/)
-   -   No handed track stand (http://www.bikeforums.net/fixed-gear-freestyle/856246-no-handed-track-stand.html)

NateRod 11-06-12 09:04 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5wWqxDx3wO...action-gif.gif

himespau 11-06-12 09:08 AM

The other bikes you could do it on, did they also have long stems and bullhorns? Short stems and track bars? Almost no stem and riser bars?

FixedDriveJess 11-06-12 09:32 AM

I think it's just the geometry. My friend has a Specialized Langster and I've held a no hander for a minute straight on it. As soon as I hit my bike, the front wheels just swings all the way to the side, past perpendicular to the frame.

FixedDriveJess 11-06-12 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by himespau (Post 14919468)
The other bikes you could do it on, did they also have long stems and bullhorns? Short stems and track bars? Almost no stem and riser bars?

Never noticed. My stem is about 130mm, want to get a 60.

himespau 11-06-12 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FixedDriveJess (Post 14919553)
Never noticed. My stem is about 130mm, want to get a 60.

That seems like a big change. Are you sure this bike fits you right? I do know that the bike I have with a longer stem (also rack on the fork and often handlebar bag) flops a lot more to the side than other bikes (to the point where I have to push it using the stem or bars and not the saddle when walking beside unlike other bikes).

Scrodzilla 11-06-12 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FixedDriveJess (Post 14919553)
Never noticed. My stem is about 130mm, want to get a 60.

Unless your frame is much too small for you or your knuckles drag on the ground when you walk, a 130mm stem with bullhorns is pretty ridiculous.

FixedDriveJess 11-06-12 09:58 AM

Does my bike have an odd shape? TT is 53cm, BB to SP is 49cm, BB to ST is 62cm.

Also, just saw my stem is 120, not 130.

FixedDriveJess 11-06-12 09:59 AM

@Scrod - the opposite actually, my legs are long and my torso is short. I'm 5'4" and my inseam is 74cm.

Bat56 11-06-12 09:59 AM

Can someone explain what the H E double hockey sticks stem length has to do with a no handed trackstand?

Nagrom_ 11-06-12 10:02 AM

The further your hands get away from the steerer tube, the more touchy steering is.

hairnet 11-06-12 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bat56 (Post 14919641)
Can someone explain what the H E double hockey sticks stem length has to do with a no handed trackstand?

For once, I am on your side. I have all the 130mm stems and I can do these

Scrodzilla 11-06-12 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FixedDriveJess (Post 14919638)
@Scrod - the opposite actually, my legs are long and my torso is short. I'm 5'4" and my inseam is 74cm.

It sounds like you could benefit by using a fit calculator.

8bits 11-06-12 10:10 AM

this thread is useless without a pic of you trying to do the trackstand and another of the bike

LesterOfPuppets 11-06-12 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bat56 (Post 14919641)
Can someone explain what the H E double hockey sticks stem length has to do with a no handed trackstand?

The more weight you have in front of headset the more front wheel will flop when not rolling. Long stem helps put more weight out there.

Shallow HTA makes flop too, My free spirit has 69 deg HTA,mtb tour rig has tons of weighy on barends. Both flop over like fainting goats the second you let go of barwhile stopped.

Bat56 11-06-12 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 14919691)
The more weight you have in front of headset the more front wheel will flop when not rolling. Long stem helps put more weight out there.

Makes sense.

I am still blaming the angle of the earth and the marginal impact the rotation has on gravity.

Robofunc 11-06-12 10:17 AM

http://bp1.blogger.com/_wJGwMfSe-dY/...trackstand.jpg http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6k7jlFW521rr715f.gif

LesterOfPuppets 11-06-12 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla (Post 14919670)
It sounds like you could benefit by using a fit calculator.

And 74cm isnt a long cyc. inseam for 5'4". IM 5'6" with 82.5cm inseam.

FixedDriveJess 11-06-12 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 14919720)
And 74cm isnt a long cyc. inseam for 5'4". IM 5'6" with 82.5cm inseam.

Sorry, mismeasured. I'm 76cm. You've got long legs too then..!

jackss731 11-06-12 12:28 PM

dang I had a 60mm stem with risers and switching to a 90mm with bullhorns felt way different.
i cant imagine using 120mm

Bat56 11-06-12 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagrom_ (Post 14919658)
The further your hands get away from the steerer tube, the more touchy steering is.

But yer hands aren't on the bars.

Nagrom_ 11-06-12 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bat56 (Post 14921074)
But yer hands aren't on the bars.

Who's the track stand coach here, buddy?

Training.Wheels 11-06-12 05:28 PM

120mm stem on a short torso fella who is 5'4." Sounds crazy to me.

BigglyPuff 11-06-12 06:00 PM

120mm stem + bullhorns + short torso = can't do no handed trackstand

Hey Robin Williams, tell them I went to see about a girl.

marqueemoon 11-06-12 06:11 PM

So when and how did you crash this bike?

caloso 11-06-12 06:57 PM

I'll just leave this here.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:42 PM.