Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-15, 11:52 PM   #1
Ozonation
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ozonation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Rivendell Sam Hillborne DTT in Awesome Green; Brompton M6R (reduced gearing) in Sage Green; GT Timberline Hybrid (10 years old!)
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Child trailer with Brompton

Anybody tow a child trailer recently with their Brompton? I'm looking at the Burley D'Lite or the WIKE Softie, two of the largest trailers on the market. I'd also appreciate if anybody happens to have opinions on their trailer and the pros/cons of their particular make/model. Thanks.
Ozonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 07:57 AM   #2
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,451
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
I have a Chariot Hitch to tow my trailer behind my Brompton..

It works well with the bike Because the ball end elastomer is free to rotate in the Hitch,

So I can still use the rear wheel fold under, like a Kickstand. https://www.bikekidshop.com/thule-ch...de-p-1601.html

I also own a Burly trailer, their hitch wont allow the same rear fold function..

they and Wike use an F like hitch and a paddle shaped elastomer. a pin goes through the hitch and elastomer..

https://www.bikekidshop.com/burley-t...le-p-1251.html

https://www.bikekidshop.com/burley-t...it-p-1257.html

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-13-15 at 08:01 AM.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 08:56 AM   #3
Ozonation
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ozonation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Rivendell Sam Hillborne DTT in Awesome Green; Brompton M6R (reduced gearing) in Sage Green; GT Timberline Hybrid (10 years old!)
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
I have a Chariot Hitch to tow my trailer behind my Brompton..

It works well with the bike Because the ball end elastomer is free to rotate in the Hitch,

So I can still use the rear wheel fold under, like a Kickstand. https://www.bikekidshop.com/thule-ch...de-p-1601.html

I also own a Burly trailer, their hitch wont allow the same rear fold function..

they and Wike use an F like hitch and a paddle shaped elastomer. a pin goes through the hitch and elastomer..

https://www.bikekidshop.com/burley-t...le-p-1251.html

https://www.bikekidshop.com/burley-t...it-p-1257.html
I took a look at the link you provided. I'm having a hard time visualizing this, but I'll take your word it works well.

Now, do you actually own a Chariot trailer? Or can you use the hitch you linked to (Thule Chariot) with a Burley or WIKE trailer?

Thanks.
Ozonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 09:09 AM   #4
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,451
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
I Have Cargo trailers , the Chariot Hitch is used on my Carry Freedom City Trailer, the Burly is their Flatbed.

Burly when worker-owned Co Op was a round end , round tube tow bar , now the Private company Imports from Asia (PI) that uses square tube

It is what is sold Now , the stroller kit uses that 2nd square tube 1 on either side of the trailer Body.

Wike does not sell in the US, Unless you import it Yourself.

I worked in Bike shops . It's not a Family Wage Job . I never spawned.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 09:15 AM   #5
Ozonation
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ozonation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Rivendell Sam Hillborne DTT in Awesome Green; Brompton M6R (reduced gearing) in Sage Green; GT Timberline Hybrid (10 years old!)
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry... so what you're saying is that the Thule Chariot hitch that would allow the Brompton to still fold under will NOT work the Burley or WIKE, correct?
Ozonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 10:05 AM   #6
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,451
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
My In My House Data: round tube Burly elastomer where It goes in the tube is roughly 21mm Chariot is 18mm .

No one will stop you from making an adapter from the larger square tube to a smaller round internal piece to use the Ball End elastomer ..

It just wont Be Off the shelf cheap over the Internet.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 10:23 AM   #7
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist
 
invisiblehand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
Posts: 5,591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozonation View Post
I'm looking at the Burley D'Lite or the WIKE Softie, two of the largest trailers on the market. I'd also appreciate if anybody happens to have opinions on their trailer and the pros/cons of their particular make/model. Thanks.
Just a general comment on small wheel bikes pulling the trailer ... most trailers are designed for 26" or 700c wheel bikes. Using a 16" or 20" wheel bike lowers the connecting axle and ends up pointing the trailer down. We have the Burley D'Lite and the hitch can be installed upside down raising the connecting point considerably. More broadly, we've been happy with the D'Lite ... it's done everything we've wanted.

The part-time epistemologist: Carrying children on your Bike Friday

It's been a while since I worked on a Brompton. But from memory, I don't see why the hitch won't work. A quick internet search results in pictures of Bromptons pulling Burley child trailers.

https://speedpedal.wordpress.com/201...lding-bikes-2/
__________________
A narrative on bicycle driving.
invisiblehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 10:40 AM   #8
Ozonation
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ozonation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Rivendell Sam Hillborne DTT in Awesome Green; Brompton M6R (reduced gearing) in Sage Green; GT Timberline Hybrid (10 years old!)
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisiblehand View Post
Just a general comment on small wheel bikes pulling the trailer ... most trailers are designed for 26" or 700c wheel bikes. Using a 16" or 20" wheel bike lowers the connecting axle and ends up pointing the trailer down. We have the Burley D'Lite and the hitch can be installed upside down raising the connecting point considerably. More broadly, we've been happy with the D'Lite ... it's done everything we've wanted.

The part-time epistemologist: Carrying children on your Bike Friday

It's been a while since I worked on a Brompton. But from memory, I don't see why the hitch won't work. A quick internet search results in pictures of Bromptons pulling Burley child trailers.

https://speedpedal.wordpress.com/201...lding-bikes-2/
Thanks. I wish I had come across your blog entry sooner. I've been debating this for a while with no clear winner. I don't think the WIKE hitch has that option for vertical adjustment. Then again, maybe I should just not worry about using my Brompton. Well, that would be nice - portability and all.
Ozonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 12:03 PM   #9
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist
 
invisiblehand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
Posts: 5,591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)


I'm unfamiliar with WIKE trailers, but this looks similar to what Burley offers. It looks like it will flip to me.

I suspect that you can't go wrong with either one. At least not go wrong from an a priori perspective.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bicycle_trailer_hitches_new_large__pop-up.jpg (33.8 KB, 9 views)
__________________
A narrative on bicycle driving.
invisiblehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 12:47 PM   #10
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,451
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Quote:
Then again, maybe I should just not worry about using my Brompton. Well, that would be nice - portability and all.
Just have to separate the trailer from the bike , first..

the new Extrusion based Wike hitch is different from the steel sheet metal ones I saw Before ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-14-15 at 10:54 AM.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 01:23 PM   #11
Ozonation
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ozonation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Rivendell Sam Hillborne DTT in Awesome Green; Brompton M6R (reduced gearing) in Sage Green; GT Timberline Hybrid (10 years old!)
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Just have to separate the trailer from the bike , first..
Yes... that would be the easier solution!
Ozonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 02:05 PM   #12
Ozonation
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ozonation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Rivendell Sam Hillborne DTT in Awesome Green; Brompton M6R (reduced gearing) in Sage Green; GT Timberline Hybrid (10 years old!)
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisiblehand View Post


I'm unfamiliar with WIKE trailers, but this looks similar to what Burley offers. It looks like it will flip to me.

I suspect that you can't go wrong with either one. At least not go wrong from an a priori perspective.
Thanks... I saw that too on the WIKE website, so I wrote to them to confirm flipping would work.
Ozonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-15, 11:00 AM   #13
DAME
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Norfolk/VA Beach
Bikes: '08 Trek 6500, '10 SOMA Double Cross, '12 Brompton M6R
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I pull a cheapy kiddie trailer with my 5 and 3 year old in it. It isn't too bad. Longest ride I've taken them on while pulling with brompton is 12 miles. The bike triangle folks with the trailer attached.
DAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11 PM.