Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    "Great One" 53-11_alltheway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
    Posts
    4,463
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Folding bike manufacturers?

    I'm new to Folding bikes, but I'd love to have one small enough to fit in my trunk.

    I've been looking at the Dahon and Bike Friday websites. Who else makes these bikes?

    What drivetrain seems to be the most reliable. I'd prefer to stick with derailleurs since that's what I'm used to.

    I think a 26" inch model will work, but I'm not opposed to a 20".

  2. #2
    Senior Member royalflash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Munich
    My Bikes
    Lemond Alpe d´Huez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro
    Posts
    1,372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link with a list of the main folding bike makers.

    Dahon's are the best value for money IMO (see particularly the Matrix and Zero-G).

    http://www.atob.org.uk/Buyers'_Guide.html

    Check the size of your trunk as a 26 inch bike even when folded will be quite big. A 20 inch bike rides quite well and may be more practical if you just want a bike to keep in the trunk.

    Edit this link is quite an interesting read as well

    http://nordicgroup.us/fold/
    only the dead have seen the end of mass motorized stupidity

    Plato

    (well if he was alive today he would have written it)

  3. #3
    @#$% cars
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    '02 Schwinn Frontier;'03 Fisher Tiburon; '04 Raleigh Companion; 04 Dahon SpeedPro; 69 Raleigh Sport fixed
    Posts
    405
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both Giant and Trek are now making folders:
    http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/030....2004&range=162
    http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/citybike/f400.jsp

    I have a Dahon Speed Pro and I love it! The thing is like a mountain goat for climbing. There is a little stem flex ... but, short of paying for a Bike Friday, which was out of my dollar range, I think that's just part of the folder thing. If you are a real roadie, you may want to spring for the bike Friday. The 20" wheels are no big deal. Try some!

    Good luck!

  4. #4
    www.getafolder.com wpflem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Santa Fe & Gallup, New Mexico
    My Bikes
    Brompton T6, Trek 3700 Moutain Bike, Dahon Boardwalk 6
    Posts
    400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hubs
    Both Giant and Trek are now making folders:
    http://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/030....2004&range=162
    http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/citybike/f400.jsp

    I have a Dahon Speed Pro and I love it! The thing is like a mountain goat for climbing. There is a little stem flex ... but, short of paying for a Bike Friday, which was out of my dollar range, I think that's just part of the folder thing. If you are a real roadie, you may want to spring for the bike Friday. The 20" wheels are no big deal. Try some!

    Good luck!

    Keep in mind the '05 models are stiffer. I rode one yesterday, very nice.
    Celebrating Bicycling
    The Past, Present, and Future

    http://www.sfbikes.com or http://www.getafolder.com/

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those Trek folders are made for Trek by Dahon. Hence the similarities and use of Dahon technology.

  6. #6
    Guest
    Guest
    If you go to the Bike Friday website, you'll find they have used Bike Fridays for sale also. It only breaks your bank if you can't figure out how to get around it.

    The smaller, fold n' go bikes seem to be Dahans and Birdy (off the top of my head). If you want to seriously travel, then I'd recommend the Bike Friday because it travels really well.

    Koffee

  7. #7
    Guest
    Guest
    If you go to the Bike Friday website, you'll find they have used Bike Fridays for sale also. It only breaks your bank if you can't figure out how to get around it.

    The smaller, fold n' go bikes seem to be Dahans and Birdy (off the top of my head). If you want to seriously travel, then I'd recommend the Bike Friday because it travels really well.

    Koffee

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been looking at the Dahon Speed8. But yesterday, my LBS reommended either a Breezer (although he said Breezer was discontinuing folder line) or KHS. Is anyone familiar with KHS folders?

  9. #9
    Hauja
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    chicago area
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have seen one .

  10. #10
    www.getafolder.com wpflem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Santa Fe & Gallup, New Mexico
    My Bikes
    Brompton T6, Trek 3700 Moutain Bike, Dahon Boardwalk 6
    Posts
    400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farrellcollie
    I have been looking at the Dahon Speed8. But yesterday, my LBS reommended either a Breezer (although he said Breezer was discontinuing folder line) or KHS. Is anyone familiar with KHS folders?
    I don't have any familarity with the KHS folders, but you might call the good folks at Calhoun Cycles: http://www.calhouncycle.com/ . They can advise you on KHS vs Dahon Speed 8.

    I personally have reservations about the Breezer folders. I think the Dahon Speed 8 is much better buy than a Breezer folder.
    Celebrating Bicycling
    The Past, Present, and Future

    http://www.sfbikes.com or http://www.getafolder.com/

  11. #11
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking for a folding tandem, a kind of mountain bike 26" to put it on a plane or in a car. If you known where I can buy this kind of pushbike (new or second hand) I will be very happy.
    Have a nice day.
    Daniel Bretaudeau

  12. #12
    www.getafolder.com wpflem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Santa Fe & Gallup, New Mexico
    My Bikes
    Brompton T6, Trek 3700 Moutain Bike, Dahon Boardwalk 6
    Posts
    400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRETAUDEAU
    I am looking for a folding tandem, a kind of mountain bike 26" to put it on a plane or in a car. If you known where I can buy this kind of pushbike (new or second hand) I will be very happy.
    Have a nice day.
    Daniel Bretaudeau

    Try Bikefriday: http://www.bikefriday.com/bikecat99.cfm?cat=16
    Celebrating Bicycling
    The Past, Present, and Future

    http://www.sfbikes.com or http://www.getafolder.com/

  13. #13
    Senior Member af895's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    My Bikes
    2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...
    Posts
    853
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wpflem
    I don't have any familarity with the KHS folders, but you might call the good folks at Calhoun Cycles: http://www.calhouncycle.com/ . They can advise you on KHS vs Dahon Speed 8.

    I personally have reservations about the Breezer folders. I think the Dahon Speed 8 is much better buy than a Breezer folder.
    http://www.khsbicycles.com/10_folding_bikes.htm

    I LOVE my 2003 KHS Westwood - it's similar to the current F20 model. (full suspension, 16 gears)

    The Giant Halfway was a shoe in for me until I found the KHS at a bike shop this weekend, heavily discounted. (I couldn't afford a current KHS model)

    I don't think you'd go wrong with Giant, Dahon (or one of the many re-branded Dahon's like Avenir in Canada). Brit's seem to love the really TINY folding bikes like Brompton, Bike Friday and Moulton (and I think those are made in the UK.) Personally, "folded in half" is small enough to fit my my car so I wasn't interested in something with 12 or 16 inch wheels - I wanted something as close to a full size ride as possible and I got it.

    C.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •