Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-16, 01:24 PM   #1
hellzone
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: NY, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Changing to Internal Hub Mini Velo

Hey everyone!

Bit of newbie here, but I am planning to purchase the bike that I included below(a 7 speed derailleur). For various reasons I prefer a internal hub gearing system. I was hoping to get some advice on what hubs I can look into that would fit this bike (I believe it is 20" wheels) and what steps would I need to take to perform the conversion.

7-Speed Mini Vélos | Montreal, Dyad - On Sale.

Thanks!
hellzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 02:17 PM   #2
BruceMetras
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Rafael, California
Bikes:
Posts: 1,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looking at the red bike, looks like it could take an IGH ..knowing the rear drop out spacing would help to recommend a hub that would be easily compatible.. I imagine it is around 120mm .. that would open it up to most 3 speeds, a couple of 5 speeds, and at least one 8 speed..

Last edited by BruceMetras; 06-28-16 at 02:22 PM.
BruceMetras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 07:11 AM   #3
hellzone
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: NY, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks. I will try to follow up with the website to see if I can get additional specs
hellzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 09:55 AM   #4
tmac100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceMetras View Post
Looking at the red bike, looks like it could take an IGH ..knowing the rear drop out spacing would help to recommend a hub that would be easily compatible.. I imagine it is around 120mm .. that would open it up to most 3 speeds, a couple of 5 speeds, and at least one 8 speed..
If they fit your dropout, the SA old 3-speed hubs are great. I have several. On my Arvon2 "folder" - actually a totally take apart - I have a SA-8 and it is the PITS! It drops to lower gears "automatically" and sometimes will NOT shift. Not impressed. ZERO customer service from SA. Nothing but issues with cable adjustment.

I bought a Nexus 8 speed as a replacement but have not built a wheel yet.
tmac100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 12:14 PM   #5
tdong
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have alfine 11 on my dahon mu sl

Finally I have the time to upgrade the handle bar to drop
tdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 02:07 AM   #6
Winfried
Senior Member
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Bikes:
Posts: 1,149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Out of curiosity, how do I install an IGH on a bike that either is single speed, or has a derailleur?
  1. Check overlocknut distance (OLD) to make sure the gear hub will fit
  2. Find a way to tune the chain tension, either through a horizontal dropout, chain tensioner, or an eccentric bottom bracket
  3. Build new wheel with gear hub; Make sure it's the right strength considering a gear hub weighs more
  4. Install matching speed shifter on handlebar, and run cable from shifter to gear hub.

Is that it?
Winfried is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 03:41 AM   #7
leoho5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfried View Post
Out of curiosity, how do I install an IGH on a bike that either is single speed, or has a derailleur?
  1. Check overlocknut distance (OLD) to make sure the gear hub will fit
  2. Find a way to tune the chain tension, either through a horizontal dropout, chain tensioner, or an eccentric bottom bracket
  3. Build new wheel with gear hub; Make sure it's the right strength considering a gear hub weighs more
  4. Install matching speed shifter on handlebar, and run cable from shifter to gear hub.

Is that it?
You need to use the correct anti-rotation washers based on the type of dropouts you are using. You also need a rear cog of course.
leoho5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 04:25 AM   #8
Winfried
Senior Member
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Bikes:
Posts: 1,149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
About the anti-rotation washers:
1. Do they fit any dropout?
2. Are they needed because the gears in the hub rotate around the central axis, hence the need for those washers to keep it from rotating?
Winfried is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 04:34 AM   #9
leoho5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfried View Post
About the anti-rotation washers:
1. Do they fit any dropout?
2. Are they needed because the gears in the hub rotate around the central axis, hence the need for those washers to keep it from rotating?
They should fit most dropouts. According to Sheldon Brown, some older dropouts may need to be filed if Nexus/Alfine washers are used. If you are using Nexus/Alfine, you must order the correct washers for your dropout configuration.
leoho5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 05:18 AM   #10
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Bikes: Too many to list,...
Posts: 1,386
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
The washers will either be vertical or horizontal. You just need to see which one your bike takes.
__________________
Fitness is only a side effect,...I feel alive when I ride!!!
tds101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:13 AM.