Hey guys, I need some good advice/suggestions!
There is a strong possibility that I may be spending the next two years on a hot, humid tropical island and I'm going to need a bike. I know that bike needs to be a folder, but I'm torn as to which manufacturer/model to buy. Here are some parameters for y'all:
1. It must have the ability to be packed in a hardshell case that meets airline regulations...especially since I'll be on puddle jumpers as well as regular, standard airplanes. I do not want to remove wheels or disassemble the bike.
2. It must have 20'' wheels and rims that can support my weight (145-1501bs) plus an extra 15-30 lbs of gear.
3. It has to handle well over hilly terrain and less than ideal, developing-nation kind of road conditions (some paved, some dirt, some gravel-covered).
4. It needs components that will be tough enough to withstand heat, humidity, moisture (i.e. rainy season). I don't need top of the line, but I need components that will hold out for the long haul...no LBS where I'm going!
5. I would like to keep the price under $900.00.
6. I'm looking for something I can commute with as well as use for recreational riding. I would be commuting 14-20 miles a day.
I've test ridden most of the Dahons, and I like the Helios P8 a lot. Bike Friday is way out of my price range. Airnimal (chameleon) is too uncomfortable---makes me feel too stretched out.
Suggestions? Thanks in advance!