EDIT: New update 6/10 -- picking it up this afternoon!
The Dahon Speed Pro looks like the best compromise folder for me. Here are my needs / desiderata:
1. 15+ miles of commuting each work day in NYC (~7-8mi each way)
2. a lap or two of Central Park on the way home or on the way to work
3. ride a century on it if I feel like it
4. toss into a suitcase for when I travel
5. see #4; for running errands as well as reasonably serious solo rides on the (very hilly) Costa Brava
My main ride is a Lemond Reno '98. I love my Lemond, but it's not a great commuter (!) within NYC, and it sure won't fit in a suitcase.
So my dilema is that I can't know if I really want a Speed Pro if I test ride, and I can't test ride it unless I put down a deposit for a special order, because it appears that most shops don't stock one. For example, I called Toga and they said exactly that -- need a deposit which is non-refundable, but can be applied to store credit. Who needs $450 of store credit?!?
So, what does the Folder forum suggest? Shine your wisdom upon me and complete my conversion to a folder fan!