Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-17, 09:20 AM   #1
Pinigis 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Help beta test a feature on our site

I just read the forum rules, and the following does not violate any of them:


If you are outside of the USA, and would like to help us to beta test a new feature on our website, please PM me, or email me at [email protected]


I am not asking you to purchase anything, we just want to see if a feature of our site is working properly outside of the US.
__________________
Paul Pinigis
Owner of Origami Bicycle Company
Pinigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 10:17 AM   #2
kidshibuya
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Bikes: Dahon Mu LT11; Doppelganger Aurora 219
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
I just read the forum rules, and the following does not violate any of them:


If you are outside of the USA, and would like to help us to beta test a new feature on our website, please PM me, or email me at [email protected]


I am not asking you to purchase anything, we just want to see if a feature of our site is working properly outside of the US.

A totally unasked for review (because I am a pro web dev and businesses making horrible sites annoy me):

You really shouldn't get your development done in India. Even if you must use blogging software with a shop plugin for some reason (I used to make sites like that in 5 hours, literally from start to finish) there are better solutions. Your site is slow, requiring over 80 connections to download over 3MB for the front page alone, that would be a nightmare on many mobile connections. And speaking of mobile everything is messy on mobile, alignments all over the place. Plus the mobile menu button isn't hidden on desktop making yet another home button that confusingly looks like a menu button.

Also its poorly thought out, I dont want a list of bikes in a drop down menu, I want a bikes page because how am I meant to know what each name of bike represents?... I just have to click blindly as is. And its not very good for SEO, so much junk in your HTML and very little of it semantic.

Especially with a company like yours, your website IS your business for most people. Why cheap out on that (and I KNOW you did)? Image the impact if this site was featuring one of your bikes, showing its fold etc:
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/P...it/IF145-307-1

That page design alone sells products. Your site however.... At best it won't hinder sales I guess, but it's not going to push that on the fence customer over the top.

//end rant ;p
kidshibuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 10:34 AM   #3
Pinigis 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidshibuya View Post
A totally unasked for review (because I am a pro web dev and businesses making horrible sites annoy me):

You really shouldn't get your development done in India. Even if you must use blogging software with a shop plugin for some reason (I used to make sites like that in 5 hours, literally from start to finish) there are better solutions. Your site is slow, requiring over 80 connections to download over 3MB for the front page alone, that would be a nightmare on many mobile connections. And speaking of mobile everything is messy on mobile, alignments all over the place. Plus the mobile menu button isn't hidden on desktop making yet another home button that confusingly looks like a menu button.

Also its poorly thought out, I dont want a list of bikes in a drop down menu, I want a bikes page because how am I meant to know what each name of bike represents?... I just have to click blindly as is. And its not very good for SEO, so much junk in your HTML and very little of it semantic.

Especially with a company like yours, your website IS your business for most people. Why cheap out on that (and I KNOW you did)? Image the impact if this site was featuring one of your bikes, showing its fold etc:
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/P...it/IF145-307-1

That page design alone sells products. Your site however.... At best it won't hinder sales I guess, but it's not going to push that on the fence customer over the top.

//end rant ;p
Can you save me from this crappy website?
__________________
Paul Pinigis
Owner of Origami Bicycle Company
Pinigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 11:00 AM   #4
Hisamatsu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Have you tried testing using a VPN server connection located outside the US? Most VPN provider have servers spanning multiple countries around the world.
Hisamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 11:39 AM   #5
Pinigis 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisamatsu View Post
Have you tried testing using a VPN server connection located outside the US? Most VPN provider have servers spanning multiple countries around the world.
I have not. But that is a good idea
Pinigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 12:15 PM   #6
Pinigis 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisamatsu View Post
Have you tried testing using a VPN server connection located outside the US? Most VPN provider have servers spanning multiple countries around the world.
I have not. But that is a good idea
Pinigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 06:39 PM   #7
kidshibuya
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Bikes: Dahon Mu LT11; Doppelganger Aurora 219
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
Can you save me from this crappy website?
No, I can only save you some future sales. Probably for the best. Cut corners and show no pride in your storefront then what are you doing with your products?
kidshibuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 01:57 PM   #8
zebede
Hello
 
zebede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Suncoast, Florida
Bikes: n+1
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Using this forum to shamelessly drive people to your commercial web site, where you will make personal financial gain.
The administrators are making a bad precedent.
Why did you remove my last comment in regards to this. It did not violate policies as this thread clearly does.
zebede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 02:13 PM   #9
Joe Remi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebede View Post
Using this forum to shamelessly drive people to your commercial web site, where you will make personal financial gain.
The administrators are making a bad precedent.
Why did you remove my last comment in regards to this. It did not violate policies as this thread clearly does.
Because you're an annoying troll with nothing positive to add to the conversation. Everybody around here knows about Origami bikes. Get over it.
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 02:21 PM   #10
Bonzo Banana
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidshibuya View Post
A totally unasked for review (because I am a pro web dev and businesses making horrible sites annoy me):

You really shouldn't get your development done in India. Even if you must use blogging software with a shop plugin for some reason (I used to make sites like that in 5 hours, literally from start to finish) there are better solutions. Your site is slow, requiring over 80 connections to download over 3MB for the front page alone, that would be a nightmare on many mobile connections. And speaking of mobile everything is messy on mobile, alignments all over the place. Plus the mobile menu button isn't hidden on desktop making yet another home button that confusingly looks like a menu button.

Also its poorly thought out, I dont want a list of bikes in a drop down menu, I want a bikes page because how am I meant to know what each name of bike represents?... I just have to click blindly as is. And its not very good for SEO, so much junk in your HTML and very little of it semantic.

Especially with a company like yours, your website IS your business for most people. Why cheap out on that (and I KNOW you did)? Image the impact if this site was featuring one of your bikes, showing its fold etc:
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/P...it/IF145-307-1

That page design alone sells products. Your site however.... At best it won't hinder sales I guess, but it's not going to push that on the fence customer over the top.

//end rant ;p
Not that keen on that ifixit shop front for that product and not super keen on the origami web site either. To be honest something between the 2 would work best for me I think. Something that points out more benefits to the bike but isn't quite in your face as much as the ifixit page. Also I've seen worse than the Origami site, its fairly pleasant if a little boring in presentation. I don't like the bikes but like the Citizen bikes web site. Attractive and positive its just the bikes look pretty awful for the money.

These points for Pinigis

The Origami site also needs to give each bike a purpose to assist the purchasers. I.e. entry level, comfort, compact, speed etc. Why you should pay more without making it negative towards the other bikes. So the content needs as much review as the web site itself in my opinion. Also lots of errors.

Also some of the photography is very poor. The Cricket bike which frankly is a bit ugly at least has a decent image taken but the other images look dull and on the front page the image of the Dragon looks like some naff picture and not the bike at all. Beautiful bikes sell, reflections and shiny surfaces etc and they need to be sharply focused and well-lit. Get as many great images viewed as possible. If you click on an image to see a larger image go straight into a slideshow of great images of the bike or even a 360 degree animated image. Use every opportunity to impress the potential buyer.

Also think about better colour schemes for the bikes. Part of Tern's appeal is their snazzy frame paintwork. Get an artist to come up with a new brand style that looks great for future orders. Style also adds to perceived quality.
Bonzo Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-17, 07:14 PM   #11
zebede
Hello
 
zebede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Suncoast, Florida
Bikes: n+1
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
Because you're an annoying troll with nothing positive to add to the conversation. Everybody around here knows about Origami bikes. Get over it.
Please look up the definition of a troll. You will see that your statement is in error.

Please read forum policies they are designed to protect us from these guerrilla marketing tactics.

If you want to participate in his public "marketing study" driving traffic to his web site, there is no reason to personally attack me. What you say about others is really a reflection of yourself.
zebede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-17, 12:09 AM   #12
Joe Remi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebede View Post
Please look up the definition of a troll. You will see that your statement is in error.

Please read forum policies they are designed to protect us from these guerrilla marketing tactics.

If you want to participate in his public "marketing study" driving traffic to his web site, there is no reason to personally attack me. What you say about others is really a reflection of yourself.
You've personally attacked Pinigis in this thread twice. Get a hobby.

Last edited by Joe Remi; 09-17-17 at 03:33 AM.
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 01:33 PM   #13
Pinigis 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
For those who provided thoughtful feedback, I thank you. We are going to build a new website to incorporate your suggestions, and we will get new photos as well.

Even with the few oddballs, there is a wonderful community on this forum.
Pinigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:39 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION