Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-05, 09:33 AM   #1
Mr_Super_Socks
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought two Dahons!!

After test-riding and reading good reviews on the speed tr and speed pro, I picked up two 2003 Speed 8s for $300 apiece!! I am quite impressed with the stiffness (quite unlike an older folder that used to scare the bejeezus bells outa me). It's really on par with the bike friday tandem we have, though I suspect the BF tandem flexes more than the BF single bikes. I already have parts ordered to upgrade the rear hubs to dualdrive 3x9 and hollow quick release axles. I will be testing it as a commuter, but ultimately, these are going to be travelling touring bikes. If I can get the weight reasonable (doubtful) and the riding position optimal (probable), it may become my travelling road bike as well!!

Once I get the gearing sorted, I'm gonna attach my burley trailer and take the baby on a test ride -- look out Italy, here we come.

New bikes are FUN!!!
Mr_Super_Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-05, 10:17 AM   #2
James H Haury
Hauja
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Central North Dakota
Bikes: not as many but still too many
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried to haul my fathers canine in a child trailer saturday but it unnerved him.So why are your socks super? Congrats on the dahons you snagged a deal.
James H Haury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-05, 10:39 AM   #3
Mr_Super_Socks
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the baby loves the trailer. she plays a bit then usually passes out for a good hard nap. Super Socks is just an old name from a chat group when I was in college - reference to a kids' song I would sing when inebriated "Mr S." Just sorta kept it. Gonna be working on lots of modifications to get the Speed 8 up to snuff, hopefully including a modded stem and possibly drop bars. . . .
Mr_Super_Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-05, 11:37 AM   #4
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!
 
oboeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NYC
Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro
Posts: 6,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sweetness! Sounds like a nice little project you have going there. What do you have in mind for transporting the bikes to Italy? (are you really going to bike tour with a baby?!?)
oboeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-05, 12:09 PM   #5
Mr_Super_Socks
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oboeguy
Sweetness! Sounds like a nice little project you have going there. What do you have in mind for transporting the bikes to Italy? (are you really going to bike tour with a baby?!?)
Standard large Samsonite harside suitcase. like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...539768719&rd=1
This is the suitcase I currently transport my bike friday tandem in (two cases for the tandem) and it's the size BF specs for all their bikes. Gaerlan has some instructions on packing (wheels must be removed), but I will report back next week on packability in addition to other issues. If it works, I will post picks of the bike packed.
Mr_Super_Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-05, 01:18 PM   #6
Dave Hickey
Senior Member
 
Dave Hickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It must be the day for buying Dahons. I bought a Bike Friday 3 weeks ago and have been riding the wheels off of it. I've been so impressed with how folders ride, I went to my local Camping World store and bought a Boardwalk 1 that I'm going to convert into a fixed gear this weekend. I'm going to do a lot of experimentation with the Boardwalk so I'll post results over the coming weeks
Dave Hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-05, 03:04 PM   #7
eff-J
Man About Town
 
eff-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Bikes: '04 Dahon Speed P8; '01(?) Specialized Crossroads A1 Sport; '83 Peugeot P6 (refurb in progress)
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Super_Socks
Super Socks is just an old name from a chat group when I was in college - reference to a kids' song I would sing when inebriated "Mr S."
Ah, the Letter People! Sweet!

I was always a fan of Mr. N (who had a "Noisy Nose").

eff-J
eff-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-05, 06:13 PM   #8
James H Haury
Hauja
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Central North Dakota
Bikes: not as many but still too many
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Super_Socks
the baby loves the trailer. she plays a bit then usually passes out for a good hard nap. Super Socks is just an old name from a chat group when I was in college - reference to a kids' song I would sing when inebriated "Mr S." Just sorta kept it. Gonna be working on lots of modifications to get the Speed 8 up to snuff, hopefully including a modded stem and possibly drop bars. . . .
Oh ,i thought you had found some truly amazing comfortable Durable socks made of pure unobtainium.These would have been especially adapted to cyclists.
James H Haury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-05, 06:14 PM   #9
James H Haury
Hauja
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Central North Dakota
Bikes: not as many but still too many
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or the letter Men?
James H Haury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-05, 06:16 PM   #10
James H Haury
Hauja
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Central North Dakota
Bikes: not as many but still too many
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
It must be the day for buying Dahons. I bought a Bike Friday 3 weeks ago and have been riding the wheels off of it. I've been so impressed with how folders ride, I went to my local Camping World store and bought a Boardwalk 1 that I'm going to convert into a fixed gear this weekend. I'm going to do a lot of experimentation with the Boardwalk so I'll post results over the coming weeks
Yeah!
James H Haury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 12:42 PM   #11
Mr_Super_Socks
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Update!!
Dahon fits perfectly in the suitcase I had for my bike friday. (see prior post). It must be partially disassembled (as per Gaerlan instructions), but this is very good news. THe only issue is a longer than necessary rear solid axle that contacts the inside lid. I will get a compression brace to keep it from breaking through, but will likely also trim the axle to make it fit perfectly.

I also attached a bike friday front rack which works perfectly and does not affect folding. Racks must be removed for packing in suitcase.

will post pics of packing, trailer setup, rack, etc. tonight or tomorrow AM. yeah.
Mr_Super_Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 05:17 AM   #12
Mr_Super_Socks
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kinda feel like I am talking into an empty room, but I'm gonna keep posting anyway to complete the record on packability of these bikes. Here are photos of the bike packed, with trailer and with front rack:
Mr_Super_Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 06:11 AM   #13
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!
 
oboeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NYC
Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro
Posts: 6,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Room's not emtpy, sock man. Thanks for the pics!
oboeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 08:38 AM   #14
James H Haury
Hauja
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Central North Dakota
Bikes: not as many but still too many
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I visited the room as well.
James H Haury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 12:34 PM   #15
eff-J
Man About Town
 
eff-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Bikes: '04 Dahon Speed P8; '01(?) Specialized Crossroads A1 Sport; '83 Peugeot P6 (refurb in progress)
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Super_Socks
Dahon fits perfectly in the suitcase I had for my bike friday. (see prior post). It must be partially disassembled (as per Gaerlan instructions), but this is very good news. THe only issue is a longer than necessary rear solid axle that contacts the inside lid. I will get a compression brace to keep it from breaking through, but will likely also trim the axle to make it fit perfectly.
Say, is that suitcase "airplane" legal? That is, do you have to kind of hope they won't nail you with the oversize upcharge, or is it just small enough to officially squeak through?
eff-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 01:00 PM   #16
Mr_Super_Socks
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eff-J
Say, is that suitcase "airplane" legal? That is, do you have to kind of hope they won't nail you with the oversize upcharge, or is it just small enough to officially squeak through?
It's airline legal by a longshot. go for the 29 incher:
http://www.luggagepros.com/samsonite...e/oyster.shtml

also consider some braces to keep the case from pushing in.
Mr_Super_Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 06:45 PM   #17
af895
Senior Member
 
af895's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Montreal, Canada
Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...
Posts: 853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Super_Socks
It's airline legal by a longshot. go for the 29 incher:
http://www.luggagepros.com/samsonite...e/oyster.shtml

also consider some braces to keep the case from pushing in.
Hey Mr.Super Socks! Thanks for posting the link to the Samsonite cases.
I have a KHS folder I intend to travel with and a hard case is a given considering airline baggage handlers.
I make do without for now - but any flying I've done so far involves me packing the baggage.

I'm already getting ideas on how to pack for a trip with a case like that. Is there room enough to put other stuff in with the bike? I have rear racks (they don't interfere with the fold, fortunately) and saddle bags. Wonder if there's room for the saddle bags along with the bike.

Keep the pics coming - especially of your "packed kit" - any other luggage you travel with for a bike trip would be great. (I'm making a packing list based on other people's ideas...since I've never been bike camping before...it's all been local or hotel)

Thanks!
Chris
af895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-05, 08:09 AM   #18
Mr_Super_Socks
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by af895
Is there room enough to put other stuff in with the bike? I have rear racks (they don't interfere with the fold, fortunately) and saddle bags. Wonder if there's room for the saddle bags along with the bike.

(I'm making a packing list based on other people's ideas...since I've never been bike camping before...it's all been local or hotel)
The pack is pretty tight. I don't know much about the KHS, but I won't be able to fit much of anything else except odds and ends like a pump, water bottle, tool kit, etc. Basically stuff that will fit in the crevaces (sp?). Also, the bike plus case probably weighs close to 40 lbs, so watch the weight or you may get overcharged.

You should definitely consult the touring forum for packing ideas. My wife and I did loaded touring in France with a folding bike friday tandem. We packed our four panniers in a really large, cheap and thin duffle bag for the flight that we then bungied to the top of the front rack when we were riding. we stored the cases in the train station in Bordeaux (kinda costly). pm me if you have more questions - as you can tell - I love this cr*p.
Mr_Super_Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:32 PM.