Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Nighttime Rider
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Surly Pugsley, Schwinn Mesa LTD
    Posts
    508
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New to folding bicycles. Few questions.

    Until recently, I thought that folding bikes were rickety, overpriced bikes
    used for a few miles from the RV. Then I saw Bike Friday.

    I'm guessing there is much more to the folding world than just Bike Friday, so
    I'm asking for some suggestions, a starting point to conduct some research.
    The BF's fit into a suitcase which seems really useful for flying to a destination
    and touring the area.

    Finally: Fixed gears have a gallery, so do touring bikes.
    Wht isn't there a "Post your folding rigs here" Sticky thread?
    It would help the less experienced get an idea what is available.

    Thanks

    CE

  2. #2
    Explorer CaptainSpalding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    Dahon Jetstream XP, Merlin Road Ti, Fisher Mt. Tam
    Posts
    278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This should whet your appetite:

    Some good and relatively brand-unaffiliated reference:

    The Folding Society: news and reviews regarding folding bikes.
    Folding Bicycle Information A broad, if not altogether up to date survey of what's available in folders.

    Picture threads and galleries:

    Threads on this board: 1, and to a lesser extent, 2.

    Elsewhere: Dahon Gallery, Brompton gallery.

    Good luck and have fun.

    — Spalding

  3. #3
    Man About Town eff-J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Nashville, TN, USA
    My Bikes
    Dahon Speed P8; Specialized Crossroads A1
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
    I'm guessing there is much more to the folding world than just Bike Friday, so
    I'm asking for some suggestions, a starting point to conduct some research.
    The BF's fit into a suitcase which seems really useful for flying to a destination
    and touring the area.
    I guess the first thing you need to figure out is your budget. No sense looking at BFs if you have a Dahon wallet.

    Second, decide what sorts of features you'd like to have, which is largely dictated by what you plan to do with the bike.

    If you're going to be doing a lot of commuting, for example, you'll want a bike that folds quickly, without the need to remove many (or any) parts. But if you're primarily looking for something you can take on the occassional touring vacation, then "packability" would be paramount, and the need for extensive dismantling isn't that big of a deal. Some bikes will fall into both categories, of course.

    If you plan on very long rides, you'll probably want a 20-incher, or maybe even a "full-sized" folder. But if you have the proverbial RV and only need the bike to get to town, a 16" job might better fit the bill (not to mention the baggage compartment). Your own height/weight/inseam would, of course, also be a factor here.

    Me? I've got a Dahon Speed P8. I like it fine.

  4. #4
    Hauja
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    chicago area
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
    Until recently, I thought that folding bikes were rickety, overpriced bikes
    used for a few miles from the RV. Then I saw Bike Friday.

    I'm guessing there is much more to the folding world than just Bike Friday, so
    I'm asking for some suggestions, a starting point to conduct some research.
    The BF's fit into a suitcase which seems really useful for flying to a destination
    and touring the area.

    Finally: Fixed gears have a gallery, so do touring bikes.
    Wht isn't there a "Post your folding rigs here" Sticky thread?
    It would help the less experienced get an idea what is available.

    Thanks

    CE
    There is a post your folders thread or at least there was look around .It is probably still here.it is called <First official folding bike thread ( Name your bike ) It is not on the first page because it has not had recent activity.

  5. #5
    Taz
    Taz is offline
    Senior Member Taz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    My Bikes
    Schwinn, Trek, Gary Fisher & Strida
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the touring bikes website? I didn't know there was one.

  6. #6
    Explorer CaptainSpalding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    Dahon Jetstream XP, Merlin Road Ti, Fisher Mt. Tam
    Posts
    278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James H Haury
    There is a post your folders thread or at least there was look around .It is probably still here.it is called <First official folding bike thread ( Name your bike ). . .
    Great minds, James. I linked to it in my first reply. (referred to as thread number 2)

  7. #7
    Just riding andygates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Exeter, UK
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Bad Boy / Mercian track / BOB trailer / Moulton recumbent project
    Posts
    651
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Folder and RV? Hey, that's me... well, vegoil-powered camper van and fixie custom folder, so nearly

    Like eff said, you need to balance your needs. The three variables are ride, fold and wallet. The smallest, slickest fold without being sucky to ride is still the Brompton (I recently did a century which had two Bromptoneers, so it'll do the rides too). The 20" wheeled bikes generally ride better - Dahon do some lovelies. Birdy, Airnimal, Bike Friday, new Moulton are up at the top of the ride range. Stuff like the Gecko, Frog, Handybike are very small folders, but their ride is pretty grim.

  8. #8
    Long Live Long Rides
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    KCMO
    My Bikes
    1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.
    Posts
    717
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's some great information. Especially the second link: http://www.nordicgroup.us/fold/. I am also looking at a folder for touring/travel/commuting. After I started reading about folders I really got interested.

    I've decided on a BF New World Tourist. My converted MTB has well over 100K on it. It still rides great. However, it has become a pain in the butt to put on the Amtrak and Charter Bus. It really opens up the possiblility for travel.

    This forum has become one of my favorites!
    Jharte
    Touring...therapy for the soul.

  9. #9
    Explorer CaptainSpalding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    Dahon Jetstream XP, Merlin Road Ti, Fisher Mt. Tam
    Posts
    278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing that turns me off about Bike Friday, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that the handlebar doesn't fold, it just pulls out and dangles. While this is okay as far as packing a bike for travel is concerned, it is less than optimal for the mixed commute or the bike in the trunk. If Bike Friday had a folding stem, it would have a more universal appeal. IMHO.

    — Spalding

  10. #10
    Guest
    Guest
    The handlebar doesn't need to fold. For the quick fold option, it simply is not necessary to do anything with the handlebars other than turn it around. The manner in which it folds makes it irrelevant whether the handlebars should fold or not.

    Koffee

  11. #11
    Senior Member af895's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    My Bikes
    2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...
    Posts
    853
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
    Until recently, I thought that folding bikes were rickety, overpriced bikes
    used for a few miles from the RV. Then I saw Bike Friday.

    I'm guessing there is much more to the folding world than just Bike Friday, so
    I'm asking for some suggestions, a starting point to conduct some research.
    The BF's fit into a suitcase which seems really useful for flying to a destination
    and touring the area.

    Finally: Fixed gears have a gallery, so do touring bikes.
    Wht isn't there a "Post your folding rigs here" Sticky thread?
    It would help the less experienced get an idea what is available.

    Thanks

    CE

    I did a "buying experience" article here: http://www.halffg.pwp.blueyonder.co....oc/canada.html
    Give it a read - you're where I was 6 months ago.

    That whole website is awesome. http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/
    Look under buying guides and test reports.

    Decide what you're going to do with your bike. You can get a full-size, 26" wheel folding MTB from Dahon or others. Dahon has the distinction of being the largest folding bike manufacturer and they make folders for many others. (Trek comes to mind) They also market under different names. Avenir in Canada, Ridgeback in the UK. All that said, there are MANY excellent manufacturers besides Dahon.

    BTW, there IS a folding bike picture thread here: First Official Folding Bike Thread!! :) Name Your Bike!
    MODERATOR: make that one a sticky please!

    Start with the above links but if you want more info, here are a few more:
    http://tinyurl.com/7e52x
    http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/folding_bikes.shtml
    http://www.bikesandtrailers.com/folding-bikes/

  12. #12
    Guest
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by af895
    I did a "buying experience" article here: http://www.halffg.pwp.blueyonder.co....oc/canada.html
    Give it a read - you're where I was 6 months ago.

    That whole website is awesome. http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/
    Look under buying guides and test reports.

    Decide what you're going to do with your bike. You can get a full-size, 26" wheel folding MTB from Dahon or others. Dahon has the distinction of being the largest folding bike manufacturer and they make folders for many others. (Trek comes to mind) They also market under different names. Avenir in Canada, Ridgeback in the UK. All that said, there are MANY excellent manufacturers besides Dahon.

    BTW, there IS a folding bike picture thread here: First Official Folding Bike Thread!! :) Name Your Bike!
    MODERATOR: make that one a sticky please!

    Start with the above links but if you want more info, here are a few more:
    http://tinyurl.com/7e52x
    http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/folding_bikes.shtml
    http://www.bikesandtrailers.com/folding-bikes/
    Where did you get that water bottle seat attachment? My Bike Friday seatpost is too thick in diameter for the Profile Design water bottle seat holder. I'm looking for something a little more sufficient.

    Koffee

  13. #13
    Senior Member af895's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    My Bikes
    2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...
    Posts
    853
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by koffee brown
    Where did you get that water bottle seat attachment? My Bike Friday seatpost is too thick in diameter for the Profile Design water bottle seat holder. I'm looking for something a little more sufficient.

    Koffee

    Minoura brand. It's Duralumin, lightweight but extremely strong. Probably $15 from any LBS. Well... I say that but only one LBS of the 10 I checked locally had it...

    EDIT: I should also point out, with the Minoura, you get all the hardware you need but add your own bottle cages. Nice to have the choice of whatever material, style and colour you want. The dual Profile adaptor seemed overpriced to me. ($45 locally)
    Last edited by af895; 07-30-05 at 08:07 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member af895's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    My Bikes
    2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...
    Posts
    853
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
    Excellent info everyone.

    One other advantage occured to me. Not needing to lock up the bike at the destination.
    It must really be a liberating feeling to travel with your favorite bike locally or internationally.

    CE

    Bingo.

    I'm paranoid about stuff getting stolen or vandalized. Of course, it's not really paranoia - it happens.

    The ONLY foolproof solution is to not give thieves a chance. Heck, in New York it's generally accepted if you leave a bike out it WILL get stolen - no matter what bike, beater or high end, and no matter what lock, even a $100 Krytonite NY Lock - all it takes is time for the crack heads to nip it. Nothing's safe.

    Personally, I can't afford another bike. With a folder, it's always coming with me.

  15. #15
    Year-round cyclist
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Montréal (Québec)
    Posts
    3,023
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by koffee brown
    Where did you get that water bottle seat attachment? My Bike Friday seatpost is too thick in diameter for the Profile Design water bottle seat holder.
    What is the diametre of your seatpost ?

    I have rigged something like that on my tandem. With a round file, I filed away some metal inside the holder and installed a longer #10 bolt and nut to clamp it on my seatpost.

    BTW, my seatpost is 29.8 mm diametre and that's about as large as it will go. It won't work if you have a 31 or 32-mm diametre seatpost.
    Michel Gagnon
    Montréal (Québec, Canada)

  16. #16
    Senior Member af895's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    My Bikes
    2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...
    Posts
    853
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Gagnon
    What is the diametre of your seatpost ?

    I have rigged something like that on my tandem. With a round file, I filed away some metal inside the holder and installed a longer #10 bolt and nut to clamp it on my seatpost.

    BTW, my seatpost is 29.8 mm diametre and that's about as large as it will go. It won't work if you have a 31 or 32-mm diametre seatpost.

    Two other options I only thought of while reading this thread:
    1) smaller diameter seat post with a shim installed at the top of the seat tube; pretty common practice and you can get a carbon seat post that's very light and has a precise, double bolt micro-adjust head

    2) seat post bag with bottle holder(s); Rivendell, Carradice, Berthoud etc. may have to be adapted to carry a bottle but it has the advantage of also replacing a seatpost bag

    I'm actually leaning toward #2 to replace the Minoura - only because I carry a lot of gear.
    http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/baggage_racks/
    http://www.wallbike.com/Berthoud/berthoudbags.htm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •