Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   folding bike as commuter? (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/141604-folding-bike-commuter.html)

tedi k wardhana 09-26-05 02:30 AM

folding bike as commuter?
 
I own a folding bike, but I am using a full size non collapsible hybrid more often, to commute.
I was just wondering how many of you here at the folding bike forums, are also joining the commuter forums?
Do you do relays,too? I mean, you drive with the folding bike in the trunk, then proceed at some point with the bike. Or ride to the station/bus stop, fold your bike, carry it on the train/bus, then ride again to work?

folder fanatic 09-26-05 11:34 AM

I have 2 bikes. One is 26" regular non-folder. The other is a 20" folder. Both of them no longer is used on the public transit that is in my community since it is so bad (I live in Southern California). I prefer to ride both of them without other transit options (private car, taxi, car pool). But the folder can be placed in another vehicle without special racks so much easier than my fixed framed one. Besides, most workplaces here are anti-bike and look on those people who use them as "crazy." I rather use them on my days off unless the transit company goes on strike.

james_swift 09-26-05 01:39 PM

I own 2 folders that I use solely for commuting: '05 Dahon Vitesse D5 and a Xootr Swift. I do the home-->commuter-train-->work relay...10 miles/day, 5 days/week. Beats the hell out of sitting in the car in traffic for 2 hrs each way!:o

bil4sail 09-26-05 07:16 PM

I uses a 2004 dahon Speed 8 as a communter and it works great. I also have an old Cannondale road bike that also use frequently.

tulip 09-27-05 09:55 AM

I have 7 bikes, and one is a folder. It's my winter commuting bike because of the early darkness. I ride to work and take the Metro home with the folding bike. I ride my non-folding bikes both ways in the summer when the light allows it.

pharnabazos 09-27-05 12:03 PM

I got a Speed 8 and my other bikes quickly became obsolete. I was riding 5 mi to the PATH train, (where I saw other folders), but I became impatient with the service and just rode the whole way. Now I ride my folder everywhere even though I have no reason to fold!

Dahon.Steve 09-27-05 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedi k wardhana
I own a folding bike, but I am using a full size non collapsible hybrid more often, to commute.
I was just wondering how many of you here at the folding bike forums, are also joining the commuter forums?
Do you do relays,too? I mean, you drive with the folding bike in the trunk, then proceed at some point with the bike. Or ride to the station/bus stop, fold your bike, carry it on the train/bus, then ride again to work?

Multimode transport with trains and the bus is the sole reason why anyone would buy a folder. I used to leave mine at the train station locked but it's always better to bring it inside your place of work unless you're not allowed.

Dahon.Steve 09-27-05 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pharnabazos
I got a Speed 8 and my other bikes quickly became obsolete. I was riding 5 mi to the PATH train, (where I saw other folders), but I became impatient with the service and just rode the whole way. Now I ride my folder everywhere even though I have no reason to fold!

I had a similar commute. I used to ride the Path train and still do. There's no other way to get over into New York City but the GWB! I see a folder every now and then and it makes sense because the bike racks are horrendous! Have you seen the condition of the bikes by the Path Station in Journal Square? Even rusted $50.00 dollar Roadmasters are destroyed by robbers attempting to steal wheels!

pharnabazos 09-27-05 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Multimode transport with trains and the bus is the sole reason why anyone would buy a folder. I used to leave mine at the train station locked but it's always better to bring it inside your place of work unless you're not allowed.

Isn't that last item--security--another reason someone would want a folder? It's nice to be able to bring your bike inside in NYC and stick it in a closet.

pharnabazos 09-27-05 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I had a similar commute. I used to ride the Path train and still do. There's no other way to get over into New York City but the GWB! I see a folder every now and then and it makes sense because the bike racks are horrendous! Have you seen the condition of the bikes by the Path Station in Journal Square? Even rusted $50.00 dollar Roadmasters are destroyed by robbers attempting to steal wheels!

I do UWS-GWB-Hoboken. I hate the drivers on River Road, but I'm getting used to it.

axolotl 09-27-05 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Multimode transport with trains and the bus is the sole reason why anyone would buy a folder.

Actually, I bought my Bike Friday for touring purposes. I've flown with it and toured on it many times.

af895 09-27-05 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Multimode transport with trains and the bus is the sole reason why anyone would buy a folder. I used to leave mine at the train station locked but it's always better to bring it inside your place of work unless you're not allowed.

OK, now I AM belabouring the point... ;)

You've touched on a good reason to use a folder for *non-multimode transport*... bringing it inside. At offices where a non-folder would be frowned on or downright refused, you might commute on your folder and shove it right under your desk at work.

As noted in another post here, thieves will destroy a $50 Huffy locked up at the train station. Not only would I not enjoy riding that Huffy (who really does?) but if I had to replace it regularly, it would quickly add up the cost of a reasonable folder.

A folder for non-multimode commuting IS a good idea. ;)

oboeguy 09-28-05 07:10 AM

I bought my Dahon SpeedPro '05 specifically for commuting. At my "new" (not anymore) job I wasn't allowed to bring the roadbike inside excepton "bike-to-work" day. On that day, I realized how brutal the pavement was on my way to work so I had two reasons to get a new bike.

The reason I got a high-end Dahon, beside wanting to ride fast, is that I wanted to ride at least one century on it (having done others on the roadbike). In the end I did, and realized that I could have done the century on a "lesser" folder. Go figure.

Avatar 09-28-05 10:41 AM

Thanks, oboeguy, for making me feel like I can do my next century on a Dahon Boardwalk D7. :)

I made my first commute to work on this beautiful 75 degree day (11 miles one way) on that Boardwalk and though it was a little bit slower than my road bike, it was enjoyable. Didn't have to worry about clips, clipless, or falling off the bike.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:50 AM.