Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Downtube folder BRAKES questions

    For all you folder guys and gals out there. It just happened to me. I was riding my downtube folder around town and it was mainly downhills so I had to use the brakes often. When I returned back home I brakes felt really bad was hardly was able to stop me. BTW, it was the back brakes. I really want to upgrade this. What is a good brand I should go with. The bike has V brakes rights now.

    What parts should I replace (better ones)? Or should I get a whole new set.

    Any help is much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Branman

  2. #2
    Bromptonaut 14R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Florida - USA
    My Bikes
    2012 Brompton S6R; 2003 Litespeed Firenze; 1994 Diamond BAck Axis TT
    Posts
    1,654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you could describe the problem or even take a picture, that would make things easier. Are you using the standard/unaltered Downtube wheels? did you check the cables to see if they slided?

    Sometimes the problem is not on the brakes themselves: poorly assembled brakes can end up touching where they shouldn't or something else I don't even know.

    One way or another, someone here (more experienced and qualified) will be able to help you soon.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Guerra
    If you could describe the problem or even take a picture, that would make things easier. Are you using the standard/unaltered Downtube wheels? did you check the cables to see if they slided?

    Sometimes the problem is not on the brakes themselves: poorly assembled brakes can end up touching where they shouldn't or something else I don't even know.

    One way or another, someone here (more experienced and qualified) will be able to help you soon.
    Thanks Rafael for the quick response. The entire bike is stock how it came from downtube. I believe these are cantilever brakes. I wanted to do a disk brake conversion but was convinced not to because of other issues. What is a decent brake brand to look into.

    Thanks again

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,396
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kool Stop Red Salmon Brake Pads.... See Harris Cyclery.
    http://www.rhizomes.nl/twenty.html
    My Tweaked and modded Raleigh Twenty. Lots of pictures and lots of general info on for example a different & Cheap Bottom Bracket solution as well as fork solution.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Rafael, California
    Posts
    1,554
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by branman
    For all you folder guys and gals out there. It just happened to me. I was riding my downtube folder around town and it was mainly downhills so I had to use the brakes often. When I returned back home I brakes felt really bad was hardly was able to stop me. BTW, it was the back brakes. I really want to upgrade this. What is a good brand I should go with. The bike has V brakes rights now.

    What parts should I replace (better ones)? Or should I get a whole new set.

    Any help is much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Branman
    Hi Branman, I have a box stock Downtube FS and ride it daily up and down hills. The brakes work terrific as is. I'm at 190lbs, so no lightweight here..haha... make sure they are adjusted correctly, cables are routed kink-free, wheels are true and everything operates smoothly. I was most impressed with the stopping power of the FS, even over folders that I have that cost me 5 times as much..

    Bruce

  6. #6
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    v brakes are pretty strong IF adjusted right .... they are not great when not adjusted ....
    Cantilever brakes are not even close to the performance of v brakes.... All V brakes are pretty close in performance, so even cheap or moderately priced ones offer 95 % the power of reral bling expensive ones

    next step up is the magura hydraulic rim brake. Not necessary more power than a good adjusted v brake, but more constant and more modulation ( feeling before wheel lock up )

    after that is the Avid mechanical disc brake
    ( very powerful, but tends to "ramp up" ... meaning relative poor modulation )

    than all hydraulic disc brakes ......


    Thor

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,396
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha ha, "Brakemeister" indeed. Thanks for that info! I have never really needed more stopping power (keep my brakes adjusted and my padds new/good) but it is interesting to know the differences none the less. I can imagine if one is a downhill mountainbiker or crazy messenger any additional stopping power can be potentially life saving.
    http://www.rhizomes.nl/twenty.html
    My Tweaked and modded Raleigh Twenty. Lots of pictures and lots of general info on for example a different & Cheap Bottom Bracket solution as well as fork solution.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the input. Like I said I am totally new to all of this and I have been folding up my bike a lot recently so the cables might have been kinked or routed weird. I will check that. Thanks for all the different brand of brakes that you guys recommend also.

    Thanks again.

    Branman

  9. #9
    Radfahrer Rincewind8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    653
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by branman
    Thanks for all the input. Like I said I am totally new to all of this and I have been folding up my bike a lot recently so the cables might have been kinked or routed weird. I will check that. Thanks for all the different brand of brakes that you guys recommend also.

    Thanks again.

    Branman
    Actually if the cable have been badly kinked then you might have damaged the cable housing and therefore caused a lot more cable friction. I would release the brake and check if the cable moves relatively freely by just pulling the brake lever and pulling the cable back. Just a thought!
    TH 1.81 (133kg*62)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •