Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,395
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Capreo Der, some basic info

    As always, Sheldon Delivers:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/capreo/index.html

    I imagine in years to come this system (and it's competitors) may likely become the standard for reputable multi geared der. folders.
    http://www.rhizomes.nl/twenty.html
    My Tweaked and modded Raleigh Twenty. Lots of pictures and lots of general info on for example a different & Cheap Bottom Bracket solution as well as fork solution.

  2. #2
    www.getafolder.com wpflem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Santa Fe & Gallup, New Mexico
    My Bikes
    Brompton T6, Trek 3700 Moutain Bike, Dahon Boardwalk 6
    Posts
    400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are right. Capreo components come on the Bridgestone Moulton which is manufactured under Moulton license in Japan.

    Now if I can get them to put on drop-down handlebars at least an option. They apparently have to get approval from Moulton in England.
    Last edited by wpflem; 02-27-06 at 10:51 PM.
    Celebrating Bicycling
    The Past, Present, and Future

    http://www.sfbikes.com or http://www.getafolder.com/

  3. #3
    Senior Member Fear&Trembling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    637
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Capreo groupset has been available for (at least) a couple of years but it did not have the impact on the folding bike world that one might of expected from a component group designed specifically for folders. Part of the problem is availability - it is fairly difficult to get hold of at LBSs, but also, if you want to use the 9-26 cassette you need the heavy and workman-like Capreo hub.

    When I tried the groupset on a Birdy White I found the 9t and 10t sprockets a bit "coggy". What's more, I was worried about the longevity of the smaller sprockets. That said, I am sure someone more knowledgeable (possibly from the recumbent forum) will be able to confirm/refute my assumption.

    The brakes seemed solid but not as powerful as some.

  4. #4
    Gone, but not forgotten Sheldon Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
    Posts
    2,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fear&Trembling
    The Capreo groupset has been available for (at least) a couple of years but it did not have the impact on the folding bike world that one might of expected from a component group designed specifically for folders. Part of the problem is availability - it is fairly difficult to get hold of at LBSs
    Really? Only "fairly difficult"...is this a case of classic British undertatement? As an old Moultonholic, I was immediately excited when I heard of the Capreo system, and orderd a bunch of the hubs from Shimano right off the bat. From the time I placed my order, it was over two years before we actually received the merchandise, and I don't know of any other retailer in the U.S. who has them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Fear&Trembling
    if you want to use the 9-26 cassette you need the heavy and workman-like Capreo hub.
    "Heavy and workmanlike?" It doesn't appear notably different from other Shimano Freehubs aside from the special Freehub body to fit the Capreo cassette. Shimano hubs are the very best unless you're willing to pay 300 quid for a Phil Wood.

    Generally riders of folding bikes aren't such weight weenies as to worry about the weight of a normal, good quality hub.


    Quote Originally Posted by Fear&Trembling
    When I tried the groupset on a Birdy White I found the 9t and 10t sprockets a bit "coggy". What's more, I was worried about the longevity of the smaller sprockets. That said, I am sure someone more knowledgeable (possibly from the recumbent forum) will be able to confirm/refute my assumption.
    I worry about the longevity issue myself. I've only got a couple of hundred miles on the Capreo setup on my Greenspeed GT-3 trike, so far so good. I am very careful to use only the big chainring with the smallest three sprockets. I haven't noticed the "cogginess" but the Greenspeed is pretty exciting as I get close to 30 mph on it, and that's the only time I use the 9 and I am not usually able to pay a lot of attention to the smoothness of the drivetrain under those conditions.

    Sheldon "It Goes To Nine!" Brown
    Code:
    +-------------------------------------------------------+
    |  I found no fault with the cook, and it was the rule  |
    |  of the voyage that the cook found no fault with me.  |
    |  There was never a ship's crew so well agreed.        |
    |   --Joshua Slocum  _Sailing Alone Around The World_   |
    |        http://eldred.ne.mediaone.net/js/saaw.htm      |
    +-------------------------------------------------------+
    [COLOR=blue][CENTER][b]Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts[/b]
    Phone 617-244-9772, FAX 617-244-1041
    [URL= http://harriscyclery.com] http://harriscyclery.com[/URL]
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    [URL=http://captainbike.com]http://captainbike.com[/URL]
    Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    [URL=http://sheldonbrown.com]http://sheldonbrown.com[/URL] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

  5. #5
    Senior Member Fear&Trembling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    637
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the time I placed my order, it was over two years before we actually received the merchandise, and I don't know of any other retailer in the U.S. who has them

    I am only aware of one shop in England that has a constant supply of Capreo products. I did not realise that it would be so difficult to get hold of the groupset in the US though...


    "Heavy and workmanlike?" It doesn't appear notably different from other Shimano Freehubs aside from the special Freehub body to fit the Capreo cassette. Shimano hubs are the very best unless you're willing to pay 300 quid for a Phil Wood.

    Generally riders of folding bikes aren't such weight weenies as to worry about the weight of a normal, good quality hub.


    I defer to your better knowledge of the hub - mine was only based on a cursory examination.

    However, as regards folding bikes and weight weenies, you might be surprised. I know a number of folder enthusiasts who have gone to considerable lengths to minimise the weight of their bike (including changing hubs). This is normally due to having to carry the bike a considerable distance - in these circumstances an extra kg or so can make a considerable difference when faced with 20 steps...

    For those interested the capreo hub and skewer weigh in at around 460g.

    I am thinking about investing in the Capreo hub and cassette as I need more top end.

    Sheldon, I dont suppose you have any of the Moulton 10t sprockets do you!?

  6. #6
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
    I worry about the longevity issue myself. I've only got a couple of hundred miles on the Capreo setup on my Greenspeed GT-3 trike, so far so good. I am very careful to use only the big chainring with the smallest three sprockets. I haven't noticed the "cogginess" but the Greenspeed is pretty exciting as I get close to 30 mph on it, and that's the only time I use the 9 and I am not usually able to pay a lot of attention to the smoothness of the drivetrain under those conditions.
    [/CODE]
    Curious to know if you get any chain skip with the 9T cog. I'd imagine in that gear, you only have 4 teeth max engaged by the chain at any one time. Not much meat there.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Auld Blighty
    My Bikes
    Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton
    Posts
    2,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody has ever mentioned chainskip. Moulton has been doing 9t cogs for years...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •