Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    1. e4 Nf6 Alekhine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    7844`W, 4246`N
    My Bikes
    Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)
    Posts
    870
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Travel with other bikes than a Bike Friday

    Hi all.

    Forgive me in advance if this has already been answered 1000 times in here, but I was unable to locate anything through search or a quick perusal of pages of threads.

    I already own a Bike Friday NWT and have travelled extensively with it this year, but my dad is looking to get a folder to tour with as well and doesn't want to pay through the nose for the whole rig like I did. I suggested a Swift.

    The problem:

    The BF has the trailer and suitcase option, so you can disassemble it at the airport and plug the trailer/suitcase in and off you go wherever you like, no cab necessary.

    But I was wondering if any other bikes have this option, since we would like to arrive in Brussels, do a full bike-camping tour from there, but not have to leave his (presumably wheel-less) suitcase at a hotel, which would necessitate coming back to pick it up. In other words, we don't want to have to do a circuitous route back to Belgium just to get a suitcase. We would like to depart from Munich instead weeks later without having to use trains or cabs at all to transport his case or fold his bike up in it again and again.

    Do most folders have this ability? Does the BF trailer attach to any other folders? I can't find anything like it on the websites of any of the folders he is interested in.

    Thanks for any replies.

    -Matt
    Signature

  2. #2
    Junior Member Hill Slug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maine
    My Bikes
    Trek sole 100 comfort bike
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine who loves bike friday, told me that BF sells refurbished bikes for a lot less. he and his wife got 2 and took them to europe (from USA) last summer. He said that they did not have to pay extra for them but some other person who had a bigger folder, had to pay extra baggage charge.
    Hill Slug

  3. #3
    Senior Member Polaris43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This works with a B.O.B. trailer and sounds like the same thing you describe for the Bike Friday set-up.

    http://www.wandertec.com/index.html?main=products.html

    Everything packs up in the Cello for flight / shipment and then unpacks in to the bike with trailer rig for touring.

    This is for a full size bike so might be overkill for a folder...
    Last edited by Polaris43; 01-26-07 at 12:02 PM.

  4. #4
    1. e4 Nf6 Alekhine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    7844`W, 4246`N
    My Bikes
    Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)
    Posts
    870
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill Slug
    A friend of mine who loves bike friday, told me that BF sells refurbished bikes for a lot less. he and his wife got 2 and took them to europe (from USA) last summer. He said that they did not have to pay extra for them but some other person who had a bigger folder, had to pay extra baggage charge.
    Hill Slug
    Thanks Hill Slug. I've suggested the same thing and I'm still not sure he wants to shell out the quid for the trailer and Samsonite that Bike Friday offer, though I've told him that any large hard-case suitcase will do since all you do with the Bike Friday case is drill holes in the bottom and it's otherwise just an overpriced huge suitcase. He's still in consideration stage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris43
    This works with a B.O.B. trailer and sounds like the same thing you describe for the Bike Friday set-up.

    http://www.wandertec.com/index.html?main=products.html

    Everything packs up in the Cello for flight / shipment and then unpacks in to the bike with trailer rig for touring.

    This is for a full size bike so might be overkill for a folder...
    This looks like a great solution, and I'm passing it along now. Thanks so much!



    Further suggestions are still welcome. I would be surprised if Bike Friday were the only folder that could do the travelcase/trailer thing.
    Signature

  5. #5
    Senior Member Speedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Boston Area
    My Bikes
    Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti
    Posts
    1,999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Various Swift users have reported successfully packing their bikes in the Samsonite F'lite that Bike Friday uses for their trailer. Bike Friday sells a clamp on attachement for their trailer hitch. It's shown on the page referenced below. If you can clamp that on the rear triangle of a Swift, then you can use the complete Bike Friday trailer system.

    http://store.bikefriday.com/index.ph...aa5d7&cPath=51

    Speedo

  6. #6
    1. e4 Nf6 Alekhine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    7844`W, 4246`N
    My Bikes
    Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)
    Posts
    870
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Various Swift users have reported successfully packing their bikes in the Samsonite F'lite that Bike Friday uses for their trailer. Bike Friday sells a clamp on attachement for their trailer hitch. It's shown on the page referenced below. If you can clamp that on the rear triangle of a Swift, then you can use the complete Bike Friday trailer system.

    http://store.bikefriday.com/index.ph...aa5d7&cPath=51

    Speedo
    That'll do it! Thanks a million Speedo.
    Signature

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •