Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Folding Bikes

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Folding Bikes

    Hey guys. I am still in a search of a bike to get as I don't want to get something then not like it. I recently was looking at some folding bikes. What are your opinions on them, etc. I am thinking about getting this one.

    http://www.dahon.com/us/ciaop8.htm

  2. #2
    J3L 2404 gbcb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    My Bikes
    2007 Jamis Nova
    Posts
    1,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, TranDz. Check out the folding bike forum for more information. I have a Dahon and I love it.

  3. #3
    Formerly Known as Newbie Juha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,854
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving this to Folding Bikes -forum.

    --J, a Forum Mod
    To err is human. To moo is bovine.

    Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?


    Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
    Community guidelines

  4. #4
    J3L 2404 gbcb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    My Bikes
    2007 Jamis Nova
    Posts
    1,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that's one way to get to the folders forum

  5. #5
    Eschew Obfuscation SesameCrunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder
    Posts
    3,844
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better yet, do a search on this forum first. There have been tons of questions like yours recently. Lots of good info there.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "What are your opinions on them"

    Folding bikes are not as good mechanically as the best full size bikes, which is why they are not used in competition. The smaller wheels make for a rougher ride, and fall more easily into holes. They are often less stable.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding_bike

    That said, my guess is you will get a lot more use from a folding bike due to its superior practicality.
    2000 Montague CX, I do not recommend it, but still ride it.
    Strida 3, I recommend it for rides < 10mi wo steep hills.
    2006 Rowbike 720 Sport, I recommend it as an exercise bike.
    1996 Birdy, Recommend.
    Wieleder CARiBIKE (folding), decent frame.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Didn't see a folding bike forum sorry as I book marked the commuting forums and never ventured out haha.

    I want to use the bike mainly to go to and from school, and around town during the summer or w.e

  8. #8
    Banned. folder fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anti Social Media-Land
    Posts
    3,078
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    geo8rge is correct about the folding bike's superior practicality. These bikes are sometimes the only option available to any cyclist since regular larger wheeled bikes may not be stored inside some places. These bikes are the only ones I use now. Dahon is an excellent brand to start out with to learn about and see if the folder is the bike for you.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just can't go wrong with the Dahon. You've made the first and most important step by gettin' over that fact that they appear odd and dinky,I guess you rode one and know better now,it will get better yet. I have a Helious. I chose it because it was light,not so much for light on the road but seemed easier for the wife to heft when she'd want to use it.I use it more than she though. They're so adjustable,so much NOT an inferior ride. Yours is one of the high-end models,that's good go for it. The cheap ones are fine,I test rode a cheaper one at first before ordering mine. LBS's had none and seemed uninterested in offering to order it.

  10. #10
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,225
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TranDz
    Thanks. Didn't see a folding bike forum sorry as I book marked the commuting forums and never ventured out haha.

    I want to use the bike mainly to go to and from school, and around town during the summer or w.e
    Look at some of the recent threads ... if you have a certain set of parameters and needs, that would be helpful.

  11. #11
    Professional Fuss-Budget Bacciagalupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,384
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old and new
    You just can't go wrong with the Dahon.
    I beg to differ. There are plenty of ways to go wrong with a Dahon.

    Ciao P8 has a fixed handlebar height, so no adjustment there.
    Ciao P8 weighs 32 (!!) lbs, largely irrelevant for performance but would be horrible to carry around
    Wheel quality on Dahons are substandard / bad quality control

    The only pluses I can see for the Ciao over some other models is the low step and the internal hub, which is a good choice for commuting (presumably the OP's purpose)

    If you're going to spend over $700, I'd highly recommend you get a Swift, which is very light (22 lbs), fully upgradeable, fast fold, designed for urban use.

    If you want to spend less, look into Downtubes. They don't look as good as the Dahons and I have a few doubts about component quality, but afaik they're much easier to fix and upgrade than the low-end Dahons.


    Quote Originally Posted by geo8rge
    Folding bikes are not as good mechanically as the best full size bikes, which is why they are not used in competition....
    Well....

    Folding bikes aren't used in most competitions (e.g. USAC, UCI) because the regulations are very strict about numerous aspects of a bike -- wheel size, weight, design, saddle height, handlebar height and so forth.

    And if I am not mistaken, you can use 20" wheels in some Tri and long distance events (e.g. RAAM), so some people use Bike Fridays / Air Fridays.

    That said, I would agree that sometimes there is a price premium to get the same mechanical quality on a folding bike as most road bikes.

  12. #12
    Car free since 1995 pm124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Birdy Yellow, Birdy Monocoque
    Posts
    1,015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree with Geo8rge. Folding bikes aren't used in competition because they are not allowed in competition. If cycling associations allowed recumbants and odd shaped bikes, races would be much faster.

    Some folders are at least as fast as road bikes, and at least one upright speed record was set on one.

    In fact, road bikes are one of the less efficient bike designs out there, but they are the standard, and cycling associations don't permit anything that weighs too little or looks too weird to ensure that it's all about the rider and not about the bike.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pm124
    I disagree with Geo8rge. Folding bikes aren't used in competition because they are not allowed in competition. If cycling associations allowed recumbants and odd shaped bikes, races would be much faster.

    Some folders are at least as fast as road bikes, and at least one upright speed record was set on one.

    In fact, road bikes are one of the less efficient bike designs out there, but they are the standard, and cycling associations don't permit anything that weighs too little or looks too weird to ensure that it's all about the rider and not about the bike.
    A shame really because it would make the sport much more interesting.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got another question.. Will a folding bike be reliable as a normal road bike. Especially in the snowand rain etc

  15. #15
    Car free since 1995 pm124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Birdy Yellow, Birdy Monocoque
    Posts
    1,015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TranDz
    I got another question.. Will a folding bike be reliable as a normal road bike. Especially in the snowand rain etc
    As with any bike, it depends on what you get. If you get a fully sealed bike, you'll be fine. Some are even better than average. Dahon makes a Mariner that is designed to live in a saline environment.

  16. #16
    Car free since 1995 pm124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Birdy Yellow, Birdy Monocoque
    Posts
    1,015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, that leaves the Downtube out unless you replace all the moving parts and steel bits. The only reason I use mine as a rain bike is that I'm trying to motivate myself to rebuild the hubs. I've already replaced everything else on the bike with sealed components.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the Ciao P8? How would that do in snow and rain?

  18. #18
    Car free since 1995 pm124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Birdy Yellow, Birdy Monocoque
    Posts
    1,015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just took a look at the specs. It would hold up better than most bikes, I'd think. Not only does it have extensive rust protection, but the chain is enclosed. Everything is sealed. That and a $10 rain suit, and you'll be set to go.

    If you can get your hands on a 2006 Mu XL and don't need the step through frame, you will probably have a better ride and lighter bike with the Thudbuster seat post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •