Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Porn capital of the world
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Le Tour and Specialized Rockhopper comp
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I just became a statistic!!

    I've heard that cycling is one of the most dangerous sports, and my trip to the E.R. Added to that statistic.
    So I just got my swift for my birthday at the beginning of this month and have been enjoying the heck out of it ever since. Last night I decided to go for a ride but it was cut short by a driver who decided to turn right as I was going to cross through the intersection.
    Suffice to say I was struck by a van and was thrown across 3 lanes of traffic. According to the witnesses, I flipped over several times. They were surprised that I was able to stand up and walk off to the side of the road. I guess I was in a bit of shock and my adrenaline was pumping, which got me going. I walked away with a lot of road rash to my legs, cuts scrapes and a lot of bruising in some tender areas and a severely sprained finger, that I swore was broken at the time.
    Unfortunately my less thatn 3 week old swift did not fare so well. I'm sad to say that it is unrideable at this time. I don't know the exact condition it is in right now, but I had to drag it out of the intersection. Oh well, like everyones been telling me, the bike can be replaced, but I can't. Yeah I'm thankful for that, but I'm super bummed about my (ex)new ride.

  2. #2
    willzz
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    pasadena ca.
    My Bikes
    old one
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big boy phil
    I've heard that cycling is one of the most dangerous sports, and my trip to the E.R. Added to that statistic.
    So I just got my swift for my birthday at the beginning of this month and have been enjoying the heck out of it ever since. Last night I decided to go for a ride but it was cut short by a driver who decided to turn right as I was going to cross through the intersection.
    Suffice to say I was struck by a van and was thrown across 3 lanes of traffic. According to the witnesses, I flipped over several times. They were surprised that I was able to stand up and walk off to the side of the road. I guess I was in a bit of shock and my adrenaline was pumping, which got me going. I walked away with a lot of road rash to my legs, cuts scrapes and a lot of bruising in some tender areas and a severely sprained finger, that I swore was broken at the time.
    Unfortunately my less thatn 3 week old swift did not fare so well. I'm sad to say that it is unrideable at this time. I don't know the exact condition it is in right now, but I had to drag it out of the intersection. Oh well, like everyones been telling me, the bike can be replaced, but I can't. Yeah I'm thankful for that, but I'm super bummed about my (ex)new ride.
    glad you're ok..and you'll recover..
    you did'nt say if the driver had insurance ?
    it should cover the bike..
    i've got hit also..and had the bike replaced..
    good luck..

  3. #3
    too many bikes
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    658
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BBP, glad you are still with us. The most common type of accident involving motorcycles (don't know if similar stats are kept for bicycles) is the left-turning driver. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation and govt analysis is that the left-turning driver does not perceive you. After my own trip to the ER and surgery, I stopped riding at night except when I have no choice, e.g., have to make the last ferry, etc. I now use an HID lighting systems on my velo. Cars think you are a motorcycle, which a step up in visibility, but there is still no cocoon of steel. Try this stuff on your road rash... works for me.
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...t%3A%20Therapy

  4. #4
    SWS: Small Wheel Syndrome kb5ql's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Palo Alto
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday Pocket Rocket/PedalForce RS2/Specialized Rock Hopper Xtracycle/Periscope Hammerhead
    Posts
    728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big boy phil
    I've heard that cycling is one of the most dangerous sports, and my trip to the E.R. Added to that statistic....
    Didn't you just get the bike? That sucks. (What happened to you ... not the bike )

  5. #5
    Bromptonaut 14R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Florida - USA
    My Bikes
    2012 Brompton S6R; 2003 Litespeed Firenze; 1994 Diamond BAck Axis TT
    Posts
    1,649
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's why when I aproach a curve I usually take over the entire lane...

    Sorry to hear about your accident. The driver should pay for your bike. Do you have a copy of the police report?

  6. #6
    Member, Schmember DaFriMon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday Crusoe and Pocket Tourist. Dahon Curve D3 and Speed P8. Raleigh Twenty. Bianchi Eros. Highly modified Mongoose Dynametric (hybrid)
    Posts
    310
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, since you're okay, which is the main thing, were either of the motorists involved ticketed? I gather it was two of them, the car that cut you off and the van that actually hit you.
    You're right, I do have more bikes than I need.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Porn capital of the world
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Le Tour and Specialized Rockhopper comp
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kb5gl - yeah, i did just get the bike. I think I received it on 4/7.

    There was only one vehicle involved. The van that made a right in front of me was the one I hit, and bounced off of.
    However, I don't have a police report. We called the police, but they said they do not send out officers for calls like this. Also, as I was sitting on the corner with witnesses around me, a police car drove by, the witnesses tried to flag him down, but he didn't stop. jerks. The lady at the police station said they would send paramedics if I needed them, but at the time, I felt I didn't need them.
    I did get all the drivers information including insurance info. It was a company van as well.
    I am thinking about stopping by the police station on my own, and seeing about filing a report, just so they have the information.
    thank you all for the kind words and support. I hope to get this resolved quickly.

  8. #8
    Banned. folder fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anti Social Media-Land
    Posts
    3,076
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big boy phil
    kb5gl - yeah, i did just get the bike. I think I received it on 4/7.

    There was only one vehicle involved. The van that made a right in front of me was the one I hit, and bounced off of.
    However, I don't have a police report. We called the police, but they said they do not send out officers for calls like this. Also, as I was sitting on the corner with witnesses around me, a police car drove by, the witnesses tried to flag him down, but he didn't stop. jerks. The lady at the police station said they would send paramedics if I needed them, but at the time, I felt I didn't need them.
    I did get all the drivers information including insurance info. It was a company van as well.
    I am thinking about stopping by the police station on my own, and seeing about filing a report, just so they have the information.
    thank you all for the kind words and support. I hope to get this resolved quickly.
    I am very glad that you are all right. Your situation indicates to me that to gain any sort of credibility with the police, a pedestrian or cyclist must go to the emergency room even if he/she checks out ok. The reason is that the emergency room doctor must sign you off, there will be a record of your visit, and your bike would be more likely noted-man on bike-and taken more seriously by the police. I know it is all a big hassle, but that is the way this legal world works.

  9. #9
    Dr Kickstand
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Montague Hummer 2006
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a very close shave. Your a lucky man! You should buy yourself a new folder as a reward.
    www.bikesTHATfold.com - All about Folding Bikes
    www.twitter.com/bikefold - Follow me on Twitter

  10. #10
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer
    Posts
    5,160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big boy phil
    I've heard that cycling is one of the most dangerous sports, and my trip to the E.R. Added to that statistic.
    So I just got my swift for my birthday at the beginning of this month and have been enjoying the heck out of it ever since. Last night I decided to go for a ride but it was cut short by a driver who decided to turn right as I was going to cross through the intersection.
    Suffice to say I was struck by a van and was thrown across 3 lanes of traffic. According to the witnesses, I flipped over several times. They were surprised that I was able to stand up and walk off to the side of the road. I guess I was in a bit of shock and my adrenaline was pumping, which got me going. I walked away with a lot of road rash to my legs, cuts scrapes and a lot of bruising in some tender areas and a severely sprained finger, that I swore was broken at the time.
    Unfortunately my less thatn 3 week old swift did not fare so well. I'm sad to say that it is unrideable at this time. I don't know the exact condition it is in right now, but I had to drag it out of the intersection. Oh well, like everyones been telling me, the bike can be replaced, but I can't. Yeah I'm thankful for that, but I'm super bummed about my (ex)new ride.
    Whoa ... good thing you still have all of your facilities. Please let us know when you are back on the road.

    -G

  11. #11
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer
    Posts
    5,160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm, I hate to say this so early in the process. But perhaps you should speak to a lawyer.

    -G

  12. #12
    Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc LittlePixel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    London UK
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder
    Posts
    1,955
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you're ok Phil. I think this might have something to do with the little Swift-shaped voodoo doll your R20 has in the garage that it plays with when you're out with your new love

    Seriously though - those side swipes are all too common. Hard to avoid sometimes. I recall banging on the side of said 'we-don't-need-no-rear-view-mirror' drivers when they do they same (on left hand turns) here in uk. I've never come a total cropper though; Many have.
    I'm not a litigous person but if they don't come through at the very least with a new Swift for you then it's LawyerTyme™

    Funnily enough I nearly literally ran into Sharon 'Pop Idol' Osbourne on the way to work last monday. She decided to step into the road (Euston Road - by the Planetarium / Baker Street) to hail a cab just as I was coming along silently on my Twenty. Just had enough room to swerve. Wish I'd hit her - imagine the compensation I could have wringed out of her!

  13. #13
    Senior Member Fear&Trembling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    637
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad that you're OK.

    I am thinking about stopping by the police station on my own, and seeing about filing a report, just so they have the information.
    thank you all for the kind words and support. I hope to get this resolved quickly.
    Definitely do this. You might also want to take photos of you injuries – particularly if you have ripe looking contusions/abrasions. It is also worth getting yourself properly checked out by a doctor. Talking from experience, shock tends to numb pain and, as such, you may have done more damage than you imagine.

    I have third-party insurance and if anyone takes me down - I would be getting (free CTC) legal advice the very next day.

  14. #14
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer
    Posts
    5,160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fear&Trembling
    I have third-party insurance and if anyone takes me down - I would be getting (free CTC) legal advice the very next day.
    CTC? Just curious ...

  15. #15
    Senior Member Fear&Trembling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    637
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyclist Touring Club

    A venerable institution...http://www.ctc.org.uk/ but not much good if you're not in the UK...

    @BBP - did you get the contact details of the independent witnesses? This will make your case a lot stronger if they concur with your side of the story.

    I carry a small business card with me with a list of reminders of what to do in the event of an accident. Shock, pain and the strange euphoria of walking away (hopefully) from an accident can do funny things with your thought processes.

  16. #16
    Explorer CaptainSpalding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    Dahon Jetstream XP, Merlin Road Ti, Fisher Mt. Tam
    Posts
    278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fear&Trembling
    . . . I carry a small business card with me with a list of reminders of what to do in the event of an accident. Shock, pain and the strange euphoria of walking away (hopefully) from an accident can do funny things with your thought processes.
    Great idea. Also worthwhile to have a disposable camera, point-and-shoot digicam, or even a camera phone to get some photos at the scene.

    Another reason to file a police report, beyond improving your odds of reimbursement for your ride, is to have the incident on file for statistical reasons. As the statistics rise, so may awareness.

    Have you contacted the company that owns the van? Do they seem amenable to replacing your bike or are they going to play hard ball?

    If their insurance company offers you a check, they may present you a form saying that the check represents "full and final" compensation for the incident. Don't sign it. . . .
    I came to say I must be folding . . .
    Dahon Jetstream XP
    Dahon Helios SL
    Strida 5.0
    Twenty project


    or not . . .
    Fisher Mt. Tam (c.1988)
    Merlin Road flat bar project
    Schwinn Twinn Deluxe

  17. #17
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer
    Posts
    5,160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, if you have not already seen this webpage ...

    http://www.floridabicycle.org/messen.../winter036.htm

    I thought it was quite informative.

    -G

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Porn capital of the world
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Le Tour and Specialized Rockhopper comp
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, I have settled with the driver and his company. I did sign a release indicating that I would not pursue the issue any further beyond the settlement. I still have to cash the check though. Considering that I am still alive, well, and healthy I see no need to go any further. I would much rather just be on my way with the situation. Thank you all for the suggestions and kind words. I hope to get a swift back on the road soon. As for me, my abrasions are scabbing/healing, and the general soreness is slowy going away.

  19. #19
    Hauja
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    chicago area
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your mishap.I hope you have a speedy recovery.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When a lawyer gets involved it is only the lawyer that wins.

    It was good that the guy stopped that is more than many others do.

    Did you have lights, bright clothing, or a reflector how dark was it?

    What area do you live in? I'd like to know what police department doesn't go to auto pedestrian accidents.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Polaris43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldone
    When a lawyer gets involved it is only the lawyer that wins.

    It was good that the guy stopped that is more than many others do.

    Did you have lights, bright clothing, or a reflector how dark was it?

    What area do you live in? I'd like to know what police department doesn't go to auto pedestrian accidents.

    unless the porn capital of the world has changed, he lives in the San Fernando Valley... or maybe the Inland Empire... or maybe the entire L.A. basin is the porn capital of the world...

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblehand
    By the way, if you have not already seen this webpage ...

    http://www.floridabicycle.org/messen.../winter036.htm

    I thought it was quite informative.

    -G
    Very nice link.

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New York
    My Bikes
    BMX
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, today i was riding and this guy was going right through a stop sign. it was like a T i was coming from the right and he was turning right, he clipped the back tire of my bike, which i just bought, then called me a f******g b***h and said i wasnt looking, so by instinct i followed him and i just happened to have a shovel, so i smacked the back window of the truck with the shovel and it broke then i just rode off like whatever. i never saw him again thankfully.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Polaris43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juiceranch
    wow, today i was riding and this guy was going right through a stop sign. it was like a T i was coming from the right and he was turning right, he clipped the back tire of my bike, which i just bought, then called me a f******g b***h and said i wasnt looking, so by instinct i followed him and i just happened to have a shovel, so i smacked the back window of the truck with the shovel and it broke then i just rode off like whatever. i never saw him again thankfully.

    You were carrying a shovel on your bike...? A regular, long handled shovel?

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Porn capital of the world
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Le Tour and Specialized Rockhopper comp
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    porn capital is indeed the san fernando valley, in sunny southern cali!!
    i had front and rear lights and it was almost 9 pm, pretty dark.
    i'm glad he stopped too. besides i had a handful of witnesses to help me out as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •