Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member Zonker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lot of 20 bikes on CL...anyone know this brand?

    waiting for a (Bike) Friday!

  2. #2
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount '91, Downtube Nova and I want more! :)
    Posts
    3,537
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chinese made folders. I see them at ebay too.

  3. #3
    Banned. exas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    133
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are these ~$100 folder's (or any other folder's in this price range) any good? if they are not, then would some tweaking with them make them decent or good?

  4. #4
    rhm
    rhm is offline
    multimodal commuter rhm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NJ, NYC, LI
    My Bikes
    1945? Fothergill, 1948 Raleigh Record Ace, 1954 Drysdale, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1972 Fuji Finest, 1983 Trek 720, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...
    Posts
    11,909
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exas
    are these ~$100 folder's (or any other folder's in this price range) any good? if they are not, then would some tweaking with them make them decent or good?
    See the remarks by myself and others who fooled around with the Kent cheap chinese folder, which is a member of this family.

    As a general rule, the combination of 16" wheels + derailleur is a bad idea; it gives you impossibly low gearing that cannot be fixed without major expense.

    Also, I suspect it will take major tweaking to get any of these cheap bikes to fit a tall person; I, at 6', am at least two inches too tall for the Kent.

    And then there's the frame geometry. The Kent has very strange geometry, with the BB placed too far back; and this is going to take more than just a little tweaking to fix. Of course other bikes are going to be different... but how so? You won't know until you try....

  5. #5
    Senior Member wrafl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Burbs of Chicago
    Posts
    948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems someone snapped them out of a clearance sale from Asia and try to unload them here but can't because the brand is unknown. But for those who live in a touristy area, it's a good way to start a bike rental business. What do you think?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "bike rental business" How are you going to maintain them? They look high maintenance. On the other hand $70 bike $30 helmet rented for $30 a day. Could work.

    Check with a lawyer on the legal liability before you rent to anyone. In particular a steering tube failure seems possible. There are equipment rental trade organizations, talk to them.
    2000 Montague CX, I do not recommend it, but still ride it.
    Strida 3, I recommend it for rides < 10mi wo steep hills.
    2006 Rowbike 720 Sport, I recommend it as an exercise bike.
    1996 Birdy, Recommend.
    Wieleder CARiBIKE (folding), decent frame.

  7. #7
    Senior Member wrafl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Burbs of Chicago
    Posts
    948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geo8rge
    "bike rental business" How are you going to maintain them? They look high maintenance. On the other hand $70 bike $30 helmet rented for $30 a day. Could work.

    Check with a lawyer on the legal liability before you rent to anyone. In particular a steering tube failure seems possible. There are equipment rental trade organizations, talk to them.

    I don't think I'm getting into the bike rental business but it's an idea for someone residing in a tourist area like Padre Island in Texas, Catalina Island in California or down the Florida Keys. $30.00 a day with 10 bikes/helmet sounds like an ideal retired income if you happen to live in one of those places mentioned. Charge even more for short term rentals and your income is magnified. You don't have to pay franchise or royalty fees and perhaps could get the bikes at much cheaper than $70.00 if you negotiate directly with the manufacturer in China.

  8. #8
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount '91, Downtube Nova and I want more! :)
    Posts
    3,537
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrafl
    I don't think I'm getting into the bike rental business but it's an idea for someone residing in a tourist area like Padre Island in Texas, Catalina Island in California or down the Florida Keys. $30.00 a day with 10 bikes/helmet sounds like an ideal retired income if you happen to live in one of those places mentioned. Charge even more for short term rentals and your income is magnified. You don't have to pay franchise or royalty fees and perhaps could get the bikes at much cheaper than $70.00 if you negotiate directly with the manufacturer in China.
    Sounds like a good idea to me. My only concern is parts breakage since those bikes, I believe, don't take standard parts.
    For beach use I also think that internal hub gearing should be the choice.
    Let me know if you want to push through with the idea, since I'm close to Padre Islands, maybe we can hook-up.

  9. #9
    Senior Member wrafl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Burbs of Chicago
    Posts
    948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC45
    Sounds like a good idea to me. My only concern is parts breakage since those bikes, I believe, don't take standard parts.
    For beach use I also think that internal hub gearing should be the choice.
    Let me know if you want to push through with the idea, since I'm close to Padre Islands, maybe we can hook-up.
    Thanks for the offer but I'm not ready yet to retire. Which end of Padre Island are you close by? I usually visit the northern end 3-4 times a year. Very nice area all the way up to Port A. Just a matter of time before that area bloom and boom.

  10. #10
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount '91, Downtube Nova and I want more! :)
    Posts
    3,537
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrafl
    Thanks for the offer but I'm not ready yet to retire. Which end of Padre Island are you close by? I usually visit the northern end 3-4 times a year. Very nice area all the way up to Port A. Just a matter of time before that area bloom and boom.
    I'm in Corpus Christi. PI is about another 3hr drive, actually.
    With the yearly threat of huricane, I don't think it would actually bloom there. But who knows.

  11. #11
    Senior Member wrafl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Burbs of Chicago
    Posts
    948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC45
    I'm in Corpus Christi. PI is about another 3hr drive, actually.
    With the yearly threat of huricane, I don't think it would actually bloom there. But who knows.
    Let me correct myself, Port A actually is on Mustang Island. I plan to visit the area next month and would bring my bike so I could ride up to Port A from SPID and 361. Have seen bikers riding up an ddown on 361 when I was there last time granted that gas prices would come down a little. Gas in TX is cheaper than the rest of the country specially in the CC area.

  12. #12
    Hauja
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    chicago area
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The crank looks too small to get any good gearing.You may find the seat cannot be raised high enough to suit you as well. They may be okay if you are 5'2" or under or for a child.I bought a similiar bike and spent a lot of money bringing it up to a minimal standard and sold it for a loss.I recommend that you Check out what is available at Camping World .

  13. #13
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount '91, Downtube Nova and I want more! :)
    Posts
    3,537
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrafl
    I plan to visit the area next month and would bring my bike so I could ride up to Port A from SPID and 361. Have seen bikers riding up an ddown on 361 when I was there last time granted that gas prices would come down a little.
    Hi wrafl,
    I rode at 361 today! I parked my car and started cycling from the Port Aransas Marina.
    I only lasted 10mi because....Its too HOT out here!
    Maybe in the fall or winter I'll try it again. ' hopefully I got my stamina built up by then.

    When I used to live in Il., I use the bike path from Gurnee to Kenosha, WI and back. You should try that sometime.

    Sorry to drift of topic.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Fuzzydave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bowie, MD
    My Bikes
    Raleigh C-30, Yeah bike 20" foldie
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it's just me, but what is the brand name? I see some writing on the frame but the size and color combination keep me from seeing anything legible.

  15. #15
    Senior Member wrafl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Burbs of Chicago
    Posts
    948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC45
    Hi wrafl,
    I rode at 361 today! I parked my car and started cycling from the Port Aransas Marina.
    I only lasted 10mi because....Its too HOT out here!
    Maybe in the fall or winter I'll try it again. ' hopefully I got my stamina built up by then.

    When I used to live in Il., I use the bike path from Gurnee to Kenosha, WI and back. You should try that sometime.

    Sorry to drift of topic.
    Having second thoughts about the hot weather. Maybe I'll just bring the bike with me this fall when the temperature is pleasant. So many path and trails that I need to schedule a ride up here while the temperaure is pleasant early in the morning. I'll plan for that one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •