Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: Tyrell SZ

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tyrell SZ

    Hi Everyone,

    I am new to bikeforum, and this is my first post.

    I have recently purchased a Japanese Tyrell small wheel (20inch) bike, and i couldn't find the correct area to share some pics, so perhaps folding bike area is the most appropiate one if not the corret one.

    I used to ride a KHS F20T too,but was later found that the Tyrell SZ(which is NOT foldable) enjoys a much better ride.

    I hope i have posted on the right section of the forum, if not would moderator please move this post to where it should fit~

    Thank you anyone, and enjoy cycling~




















  2. #2
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,167
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaaargh *drool*

    My wallet is throwing a fit.

    That is a mega-nice bike. This is the right forum. I think.

    Welcome to the forum! You did the right thing, coming here and posting your pics. Correct protocol from a first poster!
    My folding bike photo essays www.dekter.net/

  3. #3
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,167
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That seems to be an extremely carefully engineered bike, in particular the rear suspension.

    Is the fork available as an after-sale part?
    My folding bike photo essays www.dekter.net/

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jur View Post
    That seems to be an extremely carefully engineered bike, in particular the rear suspension.

    Is the fork available as an after-sale part?
    Thank you for your comment!

    This bike is really great to ride, with the shock have the lock function, this bike can turn into a racer in seconds~

    I doubt the carbon fork has aftersale as i checked their online shop they only provide the Tyrell TT bar and Rims as optional parts

  5. #5
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount '91, Downtube Nova and I want more! :)
    Posts
    3,663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a vey nice looking bike. Thanks for sharing!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where can one get one of these wonder, I wonder..

    ANDY

  7. #7
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    814
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Folding Bike thread. As you can see, it's more like The Brotherhood of Small-Wheeled Bikes.

    I love these "Mini-Velo" type bikes. A lot of people question the point in them, being that that don't fold. I admire them for their engineering and overall one-of-a-kind uniqueness that has people either shaking their heads in disapproval and confusion, or their eyes glowing with utter fascination. I think it's fun to shake-up the world of conventional bicycles.

    That said, I think your bike is purely awesome (nice work with the photography). A few questions:

    1.) How much does it weigh?
    2.) What is it like to ride? How does it handle? Is it as fast as it looks? How do you compare it to a regular road bike?
    3.) How much does it cost?
    4.) Why does Japan have all the really cool bikes?

  8. #8
    Bicycling Gnome
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    55.0N 1.59W
    Posts
    1,877
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks very fast and seriously pretty.

    I suppose small apartments encourage really compact, neat and modern designs. I was just looking at a conventional bike this morning and I thought those damned great 700c wheels probably owe more to the size of cart wheels in the 1880s than to the actual needs of a low energy human powered transport. That bike of yours fits the bill very well, I'd say.


  9. #9
    Senior Member wrafl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Burbs of Chicago
    Posts
    948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really awesome bike. Even if it does not fold, it's a nice with great appeal. The design and engineering are masterful. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Is this available in the US?

  10. #10
    To fold or not to fold?
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hampstead
    My Bikes
    Mezzo, DT IXFS, Raleigh 20 (soon...)
    Posts
    192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google-translating the FAQ at www.tyrellbike.com, the following question sort of emerges:
    - It probably is to be able to purchase even from the foreign country?
    Guarantee is outside application and the assembly and maintenance etc of the product itself or you can comprehend the fact that if it can do on itself responsibility, it is possible. Furthermore, at the mail please inquire details.

    So...er...you probably can get it shipped to you abroad, email for details. But it won't be guaranteed, and you'll have to set it up yourself. For those that are rich and interested enough, the enquiry form is here

  11. #11
    To fold or not to fold?
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hampstead
    My Bikes
    Mezzo, DT IXFS, Raleigh 20 (soon...)
    Posts
    192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ho and it costs 760 for the highest spec version. Hmm - wonder how much it would come too if you added shipping, VAT and duty?

  12. #12
    Car free since 1995 pm124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Birdy Yellow, Birdy Monocoque
    Posts
    1,004
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to do a lot of shopping when I'm in Japan next year! (Provided the carry trade holds up and the dollar doesn't collapse against the last hold out currency out there.)

  13. #13
    Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc LittlePixel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    London UK
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder
    Posts
    1,956
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That bike pwns! Heck - it's got a long wheelbase hasn't it... Are the chainstays carbon?
    Geometry is kinda Swift/kinda Moulton spaceframe.

    Yes you did good posting here - I don't think anyone's ever got the hump about non-folders in here - if it's got ISO 349, 406, 451, 520 (or even 26") wheels and looks nippy I don't think anyone seems to mind too much!.

    My only question - since you bought it in Japan - is how you didn't resist getting a Kuwahara Gaap - my own eastern dreambike!
    Oh actually I have two questions - Where were the pictures taken? That copper zeppelin thing is mad!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a very beautiful bike. The OP has good taste in bikes. If they could design it so that it could break apart like the Maulton, they would sell like candy. Very nice.

  15. #15
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,167
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems as if this bike has taken a leaf from the Moulton book, in particular the space frame version. Front suspension seems very similar. Rear suspension - I have seen the cantilever idea before, not sure where. Head and seat tubes strongly buttressed against flexing.
    My folding bike photo essays www.dekter.net/

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilV View Post
    It looks very fast and seriously pretty.

    I suppose small apartments encourage really compact, neat and modern designs. I was just looking at a conventional bike this morning and I thought those damned great 700c wheels probably owe more to the size of cart wheels in the 1880s than to the actual needs of a low energy human powered transport. That bike of yours fits the bill very well, I'd say.

    Actually, John Starley was simply trying to build a bicycle (The Rover) that was safer than what was currently available.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewte View Post
    Where can one get one of these wonder, I wonder..

    ANDY
    Hi Andy,

    I live in Hong Kong, so i got it from the dealer in Hong Kong.

    Hope that helps~

    JP

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by james_swift View Post
    Welcome to the Folding Bike thread. As you can see, it's more like The Brotherhood of Small-Wheeled Bikes.

    I love these "Mini-Velo" type bikes. A lot of people question the point in them, being that that don't fold. I admire them for their engineering and overall one-of-a-kind uniqueness that has people either shaking their heads in disapproval and confusion, or their eyes glowing with utter fascination. I think it's fun to shake-up the world of conventional bicycles.

    That said, I think your bike is purely awesome (nice work with the photography). A few questions:

    1.) How much does it weigh?
    2.) What is it like to ride? How does it handle? Is it as fast as it looks? How do you compare it to a regular road bike?
    3.) How much does it cost?
    4.) Why does Japan have all the really cool bikes?

    Hi THere~~~

    Thank you again for you guys compliment, i am kinda into photography as well, and recently got time to take the bike out for a photo session~~~

    So let me answer your questions~
    1.) How much does it weigh?
    A: with full gear (what you see in the picture including all the accessories) around 9.5kg

    2.) What is it like to ride? How does it handle? Is it as fast as it looks? How do you compare it to a regular road bike?
    A: I used to have a foldable F20-R from KHS (a Taiwanese Brand), that bike was fast, but comparign to this Tyrell, its like a BMW M3 going up against a Ferrari!! The Tyrell seems to be able to cruise at a much higher speed, and the riding position is some what more comforatble than the KHS (thanks to the longer wheelbase).
    For a 20" bike, i would say this is very very stable, and the rear suspension (which has lock out function) enable you to have a very smooth ride anytime...

    3.) How much does it cost?
    What you see in the picture is around USD$2500 (which included a full set Shimano Ultegra grade components all round), the Cassette and the chain are DURA ACE grade

    4.) Why does Japan have all the really cool bikes?
    I did not get this bike in Japan (tho its where it originally came from). I guess its the nature of Japan that they have things in a compact design because of the space limitation, so everything seems to be compact~I am living in Hong Kong, so i gues we share pretty much the same situation~~

    Hope these help~

    JP~

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrafl View Post
    Really awesome bike. Even if it does not fold, it's a nice with great appeal. The design and engineering are masterful. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Is this available in the US?

    Hi wrafl,

    Thank you for your comment~

    I got mine in Hong Kong (where i live now). I have no idea if that is available in US, but i guess an easier way is to fly to Japan and get one~~


    I tried to look for these in yahoo Japan auuction too, but no luck!



    JP

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePixel View Post
    That bike pwns! Heck - it's got a long wheelbase hasn't it... Are the chainstays carbon?
    Geometry is kinda Swift/kinda Moulton spaceframe.

    Yes you did good posting here - I don't think anyone's ever got the hump about non-folders in here - if it's got ISO 349, 406, 451, 520 (or even 26") wheels and looks nippy I don't think anyone seems to mind too much!.

    My only question - since you bought it in Japan - is how you didn't resist getting a Kuwahara Gaap - my own eastern dreambike!
    Oh actually I have two questions - Where were the pictures taken? That copper zeppelin thing is mad!
    Hi Littlepixel,

    The chain stay is carbon indeed. The centre piece of metal that holds the whole rear geometry is made of Titanium i think....

    this bike is awesome in terms of material and design, so i really enjoy it at this stage.

    I dont like the Kuwahara Gaap because its alot heavier than this bike, and i only do onroad riding, so i dont really need huge fork at the front. And to be honest with you, this Tyrell looks alot more racing style...which is what i like more~.....hahaah

    The pics was taken in Hong Kong (i live in Hong Kong) That copper spaceship thing is an exhibition centre for one of the company there~!~

    JP~

    JP

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
    That is a very beautiful bike. The OP has good taste in bikes. If they could design it so that it could break apart like the Maulton, they would sell like candy. Very nice.
    Hi Dahon.Steve,

    I agree with you. But if they would design something that could fold, i guess the weight will not be under 10kg~

    So i think thats part of their consideration during the design stage, ~

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matt52 View Post
    Ho and it costs 760 for the highest spec version. Hmm - wonder how much it would come too if you added shipping, VAT and duty?
    The top model from Tyrell is the PKZ

    The frame is Titanium made, and they only sell the frame set (so you have to buy the rest of the bike yourself)..

    The frame set alone with the carbon fork is USD$2000

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some of the small wheel or foldable bikes availabble in the asian region

    Bridgestone 20" small wheel...RRP = USD$2400....weight is 10.6kg~


    Kawahura Gaap...Looks really nice~


    Panasonic 20" racer?


    KHS F20 series foldable bike



    LG Jedi-R




    JP

  24. #24
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount '91, Downtube Nova and I want more! :)
    Posts
    3,663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The KHS F20 looks like a mutant Raleigh 20.

  25. #25
    Car free since 1995 pm124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Birdy Yellow, Birdy Monocoque
    Posts
    1,004
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the Jedi looks like the evil offspring of a Birdy and a Dahon Jetstream. It has Birdy forks and bars, but non-elastomer suspension in the back with Kinetix wheels. I didn't know the two could get it on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •