Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount '91, Downtube Nova and I want more! :)
    Posts
    3,655
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    what full coverage fenders for 20" foldables?

    This is how my rack bag looked after a couple of miles on wet road. Thanks to DT's castrated back fender.


    What type/brand of fenders do I get for full coverage?

    Thanks again!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fountain of Youth
    My Bikes
    DT 8H, Really Giant big bike
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sir, a caution: I sense that was a disparaging remark re the "castrated" DT fender. That kind of loose talk regarding any DT equipment on these forums may well draw fire. It's apparently OK to say nice things but not the other stuff. As a stopgap, I'll send you my ... ah... abreviated fender. Tape it to yours. That way at least one of us will have an adequate mudguard. You can have my kickstand too.

  3. #3
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount '91, Downtube Nova and I want more! :)
    Posts
    3,655
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
    Sir, a caution: I sense that was a disparaging remark re the "castrated" DT fender. That kind of loose talk regarding any DT equipment on these forums may well draw fire. It's apparently OK to say nice things but not the other stuff. As a stopgap, I'll send you my ... ah... abreviated fender. Tape it to yours. That way at least one of us will have an adequate mudguard. You can have my kickstand too.
    ' don't care. If its going to induce a design change on their product, I'll stick with my remark. Perhaps, I like the bike, that's why I kept it. Heck, some other, more expensive brands don't even come with any.

    As for the stopgap....send it all to me!
    Last edited by DVC45; 09-02-07 at 09:12 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Planet Bike fenders are easy to find and have reasonably good coverage in 20".

    SKS makes even better 20" fenders, but they aren't well distributed in the US and are hard to find. I bought a pair from a Moulton dealer. Here is a photo of those fenders:


    The RANS 20" fenders (sold for their Rocket SWB) have tons of coverage and full wrap around the front wheel (you can cut them shorter if you want). The mounting hardware is designed for their bikes, but it can be modified to work with a folder. This shows them mounted on a Rocket with the front fender cut down to more normal dimensions:


    Delta made my favorite 20" fenders, but stopped around 2000. It's too bad, they were inexpensive, light, and had good coverage:

  5. #5
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount '91, Downtube Nova and I want more! :)
    Posts
    3,655
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Bikes Awetmore!

    What do you guys think of Apex Design fenders?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Kabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Downtube IXNS
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC45 View Post
    This is how my rack bag looked after a couple of miles on wet road. Thanks to DT's castrated back fender.

    What type/brand of fenders do I get for full coverage?

    Thanks again!
    If you keep the rack all the time, you can just strap a piece of plastic under it to stop the kicked-up water. Personally, I don't use a rack. So I use a piece of plastic cut from my large shampoo bottle and use velcro patch+stationary tape to make an extension on the rear fender. It helps prevent my butt from getting wet. I also made a mud flap using rubber stair tread for the front fender.

    I also think it would be nice to have a full coverage fender come with the bike. The current rear fender is pretty much useless. After all, it is harder to find 20-inch fenders than those 26-inch/700cc brothers.

  7. #7
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,160
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought mudguards (isn't a fender set something that a car is mounted between?) from Greenspeed, they have a US shop as well.
    My folding bike photo essays www.dekter.net/

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awetmore View Post
    Planet Bike fenders are easy to find and have reasonably good coverage in 20".

    SKS makes even better 20" fenders, but they aren't well distributed in the US and are hard to find.
    Interesting. What do you like better about the SKS fenders? When I was mudguard shopping I couldn't really discern a significant difference between the SKS mudguards and the Planet Bike Hardcore Freddy Fenders.

    The Planet Bike mudguards were significantly cheaper, so I bought those, but the SKS fenders are much easier to find. Since the SKS fenders are the kind used by Dahon, any Dahon dealer should have them. I'm surprised you think they aren't well distributed.

  9. #9
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount '91, Downtube Nova and I want more! :)
    Posts
    3,655
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jur View Post
    I bought mudguards (isn't a fender set something that a car is mounted between?) from Greenspeed, they have a US shop as well.
    In my limited knowledge, mudguards, are just that, its a device that guards against mud. They're often seen attatched to fenders. No?

    BTW, I bought the Planet Bike ones for $10 each at Amazon. I thought its a good deal.

  10. #10
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount '91, Downtube Nova and I want more! :)
    Posts
    3,655
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bring on the flood!


  11. #11
    Senior Member Loch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    MT, USA
    My Bikes
    Dahon Speed Pro
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just added an extension to the DT fender and it's seems to work fine.

  12. #12
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount '91, Downtube Nova and I want more! :)
    Posts
    3,655
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    I just added an extension to the DT fender and it's seems to work fine.
    What material did you use?

  13. #13
    Senior Member Loch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    MT, USA
    My Bikes
    Dahon Speed Pro
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC45 View Post
    What material did you use?
    Maybe I cheated, I had an old broken plastic fender (mtb type I think) lying around. I just cut about an 8 inch section off. Drilled two very small holes on either side of the fender and extension then zip tied them together with those small zip ties.

    What ever you'd use you want to keep it light, so it doesn't weigh it down and rub the wheel. I would imagine part of a plastic milk jug would make a pretty good extension.

    If the old fender I used hadn't been black, you could hardly tell it wasn't there originally.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Kabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Downtube IXNS
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you post a picture of it? Guess what? I just picked up an old plastic mtb fender while I was having a after-lunch walk.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Maybe I cheated, I had an old broken plastic fender (mtb type I think) lying around. I just cut about an 8 inch section off. Drilled two very small holes on either side of the fender and extension then zip tied them together with those small zip ties.

    What ever you'd use you want to keep it light, so it doesn't weigh it down and rub the wheel. I would imagine part of a plastic milk jug would make a pretty good extension.

    If the old fender I used hadn't been black, you could hardly tell it wasn't there originally.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Loch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    MT, USA
    My Bikes
    Dahon Speed Pro
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabir View Post
    Could you post a picture of it? Guess what? I just picked up an old plastic mtb fender while I was having a after-lunch walk.
    Here you go, I've transfered the fenders to my Speed pro, same basic idea, the downtube gives a little more coverage because the rear triangle is bigger and it sets the fender farther back.

    Not as full as the others, but it keeps the spray off of the back, etc.





    Edit to add: Here's a pic of the SKS fenders (16 inch, same as 20 just smaller). I think they are some of the best looking fenders around.

    Last edited by Loch; 09-24-07 at 09:58 PM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Kabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Downtube IXNS
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Here you go, I've transfered the fenders to my Speed pro, same basic idea, the downtube gives a little more coverage because the rear triangle is bigger and it sets the fender farther back.

    Not as full as the others, but it keeps the spray off of the back, etc.

    Wow, plenty neat work. Thanks, Loch.

    I wonder if it will rub the tire if the tire is 2.00 wide. I am using a 1.95-inch BMX tire on the back and it seems the clearance is very small. I may attach the extension on the top of the fender, instead of putting it below.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Loch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    MT, USA
    My Bikes
    Dahon Speed Pro
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabir View Post
    Wow, plenty neat work. Thanks, Loch.

    I wonder if it will rub the tire if the tire is 2.00 wide. I am using a 1.95-inch BMX tire on the back and it seems the clearance is very small. I may attach the extension on the top of the fender, instead of putting it below.
    The downtube has 1.75 wide Marathons and the clearance was fine. 2.0 might be too much, should work just as well with the extension on the top.

  18. #18
    Bicycling Gnome
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    55.0N 1.59W
    Posts
    1,877
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jur View Post
    I bought mudguards (isn't a fender set something that a car is mounted between?) from Greenspeed, they have a US shop as well.
    In the UK a 'fender' used to be a kind of fire guard that stopped hot cinders falling onto the carpet from an open fireplace.



    Still, we know what we mean here.


    Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Here you go, I've transfered the fenders to my Speed pro, same basic idea, the downtube gives a little more coverage because the rear triangle is bigger and it sets the fender farther back.

    Here's a pic of the SKS fenders (16 inch, same as 20 just smaller). I think they are some of the best looking fenders around.

    That looks great. I might look out some of those for my Pashley - Moulton TSR30. Problem is they won't fit with the marathon tyres. I'd need to go back from 40x406 tyres to 28x406 to fit them in. At the moment, I'm not riding it in the wet. It's too precious.

    How do the Big Apples have such a low rolling resistance when they are so fat and run at quite low pressures? They are reputed to be very fast. I'd like to see some figures.
    Last edited by EvilV; 09-25-07 at 10:11 AM.
    “Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live." - Mark Twain

  19. #19
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount '91, Downtube Nova and I want more! :)
    Posts
    3,655
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Dahon Firebolt (Curve?) looks so cute.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Loch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    MT, USA
    My Bikes
    Dahon Speed Pro
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC45 View Post
    The Dahon Firebolt (Curve?) looks so cute.
    Thanks, yes it's a Curve SL. Firebolt is it's personal name .

  21. #21
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount '91, Downtube Nova and I want more! :)
    Posts
    3,655
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Thanks, yes it's a Curve SL. Firebolt is it's personal name .
    Good one! I actually thought they made a special Firebolt model.

  22. #22
    Bicycling Gnome
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    55.0N 1.59W
    Posts
    1,877
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Thanks, yes it's a Curve SL. Firebolt is it's personal name .
    You should register the n ame and try and sell it to them. Somone else has all the useful looking firebolt domain names.
    “Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live." - Mark Twain

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilV View Post
    How do the Big Apples have such a low rolling resistance when they are so fat and run at quite low pressures? They are reputed to be very fast. I'd like to see some figures.
    All things being equal wide tires are faster. In the Bicycle Quarterly tire tests we measured the Mistuboshi Trim line (38-584, 650B x 38mm) as being about the same speed as many popular 23-622 (700x23) racing tires.

    Low pressure helps because it means that you don't need to make the casing so strong. A thinner more supple tire has lower rolling resistance.

    Pressure makes little difference on average roads. We measured one of our tires (28mm wide Panaracer/Rivendell) from 105psi down to 25psi and the handling issues caused problems before we measured noticable performance differences. Most tire testing is done on steel drums where pressure does make a large difference, but no roads are as smooth as those steel drums.

    One of our biggest learnings was that tires which feel fast often don't measure fast, and visa-versa. The Avocet Cross in 700x35 was actually tested quite fast but it is a pretty awful tire to ride.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •