Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   new Pacific Reach model (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/346126-new-pacific-reach-model.html)

bangkok 09-22-07 01:54 AM

new Pacific Reach model
 
Introduction of a new lighter 'Racer" frame for the Pacific Reach bike, falling within the 8kg range for the finished bike. The current Racer model as spec'd is 10.5kg by the TW distributor.

http://www.pacific-cycles.com/news_d...&cat0=2&cat=18

bangkok 09-22-07 08:18 PM

The new frame is 2nd generation. Compare the current frame with the new frame and note several changes:

+ front fork and suspension bits
+ rear triangle design
+ downtube to seatpost jointdesign

New: http://www.pacific-cycles.com/upload...7920173727.jpg
Current: http://www.pacific-cycles.com/upload...7517185333.jpg

jur 09-22-07 08:42 PM

Looks nice.

I wonder who their market is, if they are able go to the next model?

What do these go for?

BruceMetras 09-22-07 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jur (Post 5316230)
Looks nice.

I wonder who their market is, if they are able go to the next model?

Me...:D .... off for a week on vacation.. will have topped 500 miles on it by the time I get back and will give full impressions on my return ... they really are a nice, comfortable bike... and fast!

Bruce

danielmramos 09-23-07 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jur (Post 5316230)
Looks nice.

I wonder who their market is, if they are able go to the next model?

What do these go for?

The bike is selling for $1000 and you have to remove the front wheel to get it into a tight "folding" configuration. It seems like it is meant like more of a bike that can easily be transported than a quick folder.

makeinu 09-23-07 04:32 PM

i wonder if they'll try to release a lighter version of the carryme as well.

OldiesONfoldies 09-24-07 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makeinu (Post 5319273)
i wonder if they'll try to release a lighter version of the carryme as well.

That will certainly interest me... CM now sits at a tad over 8kg with stock paddles, seat, seat post. Change those can easily chop 500grams. If Pacific can work the frame a little with wheels and crank set, another 1kg maybe.

A 6.5kg Carry Me possibly. Wow, thats neat!

makeinu 09-24-07 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldiesONfoldies (Post 5321449)
That will certainly interest me... CM now sits at a tad over 8kg with stock paddles, seat, seat post. Change those can easily chop 500grams. If Pacific can work the frame a little with wheels and crank set, another 1kg maybe.

A 6.5kg Carry Me possibly. Wow, thats neat!

You met the owner of Pacific right? Pass our request along!

OldiesONfoldies 09-24-07 09:12 AM

Problem Makeinu is that as production centres, it will only be worth their while if they can produce and sell a reasonable number of CM Lite. Dahon's limited edition 25th Anniv Mxxv runs 500 units and they sell heaps of foldies a year internationally. Pacific is still a pretty small company - main model is Birdys...

Still, will email to Chairman George and see what he says. Good for company's image - world's lightest foldie!

invisiblehand 09-24-07 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielmramos (Post 5317310)
The bike is selling for $1000 and you have to remove the front wheel to get it into a tight "folding" configuration. It seems like it is meant like more of a bike that can easily be transported than a quick folder.


Really? A $1000 is pretty competitive for a full-suspension folding road bike ... assuming a decent set of components (Tiagra + Capreo).

there__ 09-25-07 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by invisiblehand (Post 5323330)
Really? A $1000 is pretty competitive for a full-suspension folding road bike ... assuming a decent set of components (Tiagra + Capreo).

My guess is it's going to be closer to 1500.00 ... See link below. The current racing model is going for 1500.00 and I doubt it will be any cheaper. If you have a new link with the price please post it.

I test rode the "Trail" and really liked it and will probably purchase the Race if it performs well in a test ride, that is if I can find one to test ride in NYC besides NYCewheels.

http://nycewheels.com/reach-folding-bikes.html
By the way these guys were jerks. The Trail model that was on display had the fork mounted backwards, when I called him out on it he refused to acknowledge he was wrong until I showed him a picture on their website. The front fork hex nuts were also loose witch caused the front link to rattle when going down the road. Brakes were not adjusted correctly, etc.

He had the race version (old) but refused to assemble it for a test ride unless I paid 50.00 (non refundable). After riding the trail I was 99% sure I would purchase the race model, but walked after he refused a test ride before I bought it.

-John

OldiesONfoldies 09-26-07 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by there__ (Post 5334649)
My guess is it's going to be closer to 1500.00 ... See link below. The current racing model is going for 1500.00 and I doubt it will be any cheaper. If you have a new link with the price please post it.

I test rode the "Trail" and really liked it and will probably purchase the Race if it performs well in a test ride, that is if I can find one to test ride in NYC besides NYCewheels.

http://nycewheels.com/reach-folding-bikes.html
By the way these guys were jerks. The Trail model that was on display had the fork mounted backwards, when I called him out on it he refused to acknowledge he was wrong until I showed him a picture on their website. The front fork hex nuts were also loose witch caused the front link to rattle when going down the road. Brakes were not adjusted correctly, etc.

He had the race version (old) but refused to assemble it for a test ride unless I paid 50.00 (non refundable). After riding the trail I was 99% sure I would purchase the race model, but walked after he refused a test ride before I bought it.

-John

NYCe wheels, horrible service. What a pity...

sheldon 09-29-07 08:36 PM

Pacific Reach Racer - where to get?
 
How can I get the new Pacific Reach Racer?

Thanks,
Sheldon

pm124 09-30-07 01:54 PM

If you are in the US, ask Don George (http://blackdogbicycles.com/thereachfoldingbike.html). He is the best retailer I have ever dealt with on anything in my life. He'll probably be able to give you an indication of when/whether they will be available in the US. Where are you situated?

-=(8)=- 09-30-07 03:22 PM

^^^ Wow...I love the Citybike in that blackdog link !! :love:

Are there any other companies who make 20" bikes like this
and the new Dahon commuter or are they the only two ?
I mean, appear to be more 3/4 wedge frame types than the normal 'folding' type ?
After commuting on my new DownTube for a few weeks I cant believe more isnt
said amoung bicyclists about 20" wheels. Maybe its just me, but they totally
rock for dicing it up in traffic....Im sure its not my imagination that they get
to full steam more efficiantly(?) Maybe it is ??


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:38 PM.