Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    I... Don't care. nekohime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Does anyone have info on these bikes?

    Hi! Total noob to the world of folding bikes here. I'm looking for a folder that I can take on the metro subway in LA (for those of you that don't live in the area, it's never really crowded on the subways here), then ride around on a hilly campus. I'm pretty much just gonna be folding it for the subway, since the bikes are pretty safe on my campus. Additionally, because I'm a student, I'm dirt poor, so I can't afford anything over $250 (I'd really prefer not to pay more than $150).

    I've looked around, and I'm planning to buy either this one:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Folding-Bicy...QQcmdZViewItem

    or this,

    http://cgi.ebay.com/KENT-16-ULTRA-LI...QQcmdZViewItem

    both from ebay. Does anyone have info on these bikes, or does anyone have other recommendations?

  2. #2
    Senior Member JosephLMonti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nekohime View Post
    Hi! Total noob to the world of folding bikes here. I'm looking for a folder that I can take on the metro subway in LA (for those of you that don't live in the area, it's never really crowded on the subways here), then ride around on a hilly campus. I'm pretty much just gonna be folding it for the subway, since the bikes are pretty safe on my campus. Additionally, because I'm a student, I'm dirt poor, so I can't afford anything over $250 (I'd really prefer not to pay more than $150).

    I've looked around, and I'm planning to buy either this one:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Folding-Bicy...QQcmdZViewItem

    or this,

    http://cgi.ebay.com/KENT-16-ULTRA-LI...QQcmdZViewItem

    both from ebay. Does anyone have info on these bikes, or does anyone have other recommendations?
    Based on your needs (subway-friendly, sub-$250 price, hilly terrain), I would suggest the second bike (Kent Ultra lite). According to some reviews on Amazon, this model has low gearing and is very compact. Also the bike lists for $180 so if you can get it for less I say go for it

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between those two I'd go with the Kent also. But not at that price on eBay. $148 if you have a Walmart near you.

    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5238216

  4. #4
    Banned. folder fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anti Social Media-Land
    Posts
    3,076
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard of the Kent brand, although I am suprised that it is offered for sale here in the US. I expected to see ads for it over in the Uk. Choosing between the two bikes only, I would go for the Kent. It reminds me of my Dahon Piccolo in a way or the Downtube version of it. But if you possibly can do so, I would recommend that you buy from a bike shop and a popular known brand like Dahon (more info about why on my Geocities Web site, see below) especially for a first folder. And don't be fooled by the so-called lack of crowds on the Metro subway and the lightrails here. I find them to be quite crowded enought to warrant purchasing folding bikes since I see an even bigger influx of people crowding L.A. in the near future.

  5. #5
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall a thread on the Kent ... you can find more details there.

  6. #6
    rhm
    rhm is online now
    multimodal commuter rhm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NJ, NYC, LI
    My Bikes
    1945? Fothergill, 1948 Raleigh Record Ace, 1954 Drysdale, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1972 Fuji Finest, 1983 Trek 720, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...
    Posts
    12,222
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If the choice is between these two, go with the Kent; but you'd be better off with an internal 3-speed hub rather than the 6-speed derailleur. The fastest gear on the Kent is very slow; the rest are progressively slower. It doesn't shift well, but that hardly matters since you won't need the 5 lowest gears. Also, maximum rider height is somewhere around 5' 10," preferably less. Out of the box the bike will need quite a bit of adjustment and lubrication.

    You might do a search for the Kent on this forum; there have been threads about it in the past, so you can get a lot of information on it.

  7. #7
    I... Don't care. nekohime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_rimar View Post
    Between those two I'd go with the Kent also. But not at that price on eBay. $148 if you have a Walmart near you.

    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5238216
    The reviews on the walmart site were helpful, thanks! I talked to the seller on ebay though, and he said the bike would come tuned up. I think it's worth paying a bit extra so that I don't have to go to a bike shop to have the thing set up if I buy it at walmart.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    madison, wi
    My Bikes
    '73 schwinn speedster, motobecane phantom cross
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bike in the first link looks like it might be prohibitively small, even for a mini. The front wheel is only 10 inches tall and the max height of the saddle is 33 inches. Don't get me wrong: I dig the portability, but since I'm just over 6 feet, not at the expense of my knees.

  9. #9
    I... Don't care. nekohime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by folder fanatic View Post
    I have heard of the Kent brand, although I am suprised that it is offered for sale here in the US. I expected to see ads for it over in the Uk. Choosing between the two bikes only, I would go for the Kent. It reminds me of my Dahon Piccolo in a way or the Downtube version of it. But if you possibly can do so, I would recommend that you buy from a bike shop and a popular known brand like Dahon (more info about why on my Geocities Web site, see below) especially for a first folder. And don't be fooled by the so-called lack of crowds on the Metro subway and the lightrails here. I find them to be quite crowded enought to warrant purchasing folding bikes since I see an even bigger influx of people crowding L.A. in the near future.
    Really? I take the red line everyday at rush hour, and 95% of the time, I get a seat. Of course, I get on at one of the first few stops, so maybe that's why. Buses are another story though--mega crowded! Do folding bikes fit on the bike racks on the bus? I think I'd get dirty looks if I tried to take one on the bus.

  10. #10
    Senior Member JosephLMonti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhm View Post
    If the choice is between these two, go with the Kent; but you'd be better off with an internal 3-speed hub rather than the 6-speed derailleur.
    Looks like the Kent now comes in an internal 3-speed hub version as well:

    http://ridethisbike.com/products/Ken...lding-bike.htm

  11. #11
    Explorer CaptainSpalding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    Dahon Jetstream XP, Merlin Road Ti, Fisher Mt. Tam
    Posts
    278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For mixed commuting, the ability to roll your bike when folded is HUGE. On those occasions, my weapon of choice for mixed commuting is the Mobiky Genius. It's pretty pricey, but there are other bikes that can roll when folded.

    Check out the Giatex.
    Last edited by CaptainSpalding; 10-01-07 at 07:43 PM.
    I came to say I must be folding . . .
    Dahon Jetstream XP
    Dahon Helios SL
    Strida 5.0
    Twenty project


    or not . . .
    Fisher Mt. Tam (c.1988)
    Merlin Road flat bar project
    Schwinn Twinn Deluxe

  12. #12
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,113
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giatex have closed their doors. You might able to pick up one way below selling price.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •