Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Carbon Folder

  1. #1
    Senior Member Chop!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cymru (Wales)
    My Bikes
    GoBike, Long-john, Strida III, Oke Ja recumbent, Brompton, Moulton, BSA, Strida 5
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Carbon Folder

    Just spotted this in the latest Velovision (The World's best bike mag!) It's called the Hasa Minimax Has titanium bits too! Weighs in @ 7.5 Kg! It's in Chinese so you'll have to do a google translate. I haven't found a price yet.
    Enjoy! Safe riding
    A to Z of Folding Bikes, Designers, Sellers, Accessories, Forums, Meetings, Publications
    My bicycle site
    My Microcar & alternate energy vehicle site.
    Site for the Rock& Roll Tour Bus that I drive.
    Chop! The mad Welshman, lost in the urban jungle somewhere between LLanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Vladivostock!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Kabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Downtube IXNS
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop! View Post
    Just spotted this in the latest Velovision (The World's best bike mag!) It's called the Hasa Minimax Has titanium bits too! Weighs in @ 7.5 Kg! It's in Chinese so you'll have to do a google translate. I haven't found a price yet.
    Enjoy! Safe riding
    The page is actually Korean, not Chinese. Anyway, I did some search on "Hasa Minimax". It turns out someone in Taipai is selling a second hand one for 45000 NT$ (about $1400) since his girlfriend doesn't like folding bikes. Well, so much for the globalization.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Kabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Downtube IXNS
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop! View Post
    Just spotted this in the latest Velovision (The World's best bike mag!) It's called the Hasa Minimax Has titanium bits too! Weighs in @ 7.5 Kg! It's in Chinese so you'll have to do a google translate. I haven't found a price yet.
    Enjoy! Safe riding
    Oh, by the way, someone in some Chinese bike forum says Hasa Minimax doesn't use full carbon. Instead, it is just something wrapped with carbon.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Kabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Downtube IXNS
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabir View Post
    Oh, by the way, someone in some Chinese bike forum says Hasa Minimax doesn't use full carbon. Instead, it is just something wrapped with carbon.
    Now, I found where this guy got the information. Someone else (a 110lb guy) snapped the seatpost while riding and took the following pictures. It seems Hasa is selling Minimax with carbon seatpost in China and some customer got pissed off by its quality.




  5. #5
    Life in Mono
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London
    My Bikes
    5 bikes, all the usual types
    Posts
    493
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smart detective work Kabir - So much for eye kandy - that seat post is just some aluminium with a thin layer of carbon (or something that looks like carbon ?).

    The pix on the Korean site look slick - maybe its already been 'knocked off' and the broken seat post is from a fake ?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Kabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Downtube IXNS
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simple Simon View Post
    The pix on the Korean site look slick - maybe its already been 'knocked off' and the broken seat post is from a fake ?
    The info on the Korean site is also a little different. First, it claims the weight is 9KG, not 7.5KG. Second, it has a titanium seatpost, not a carbon one. I don't think I would seriously look at this folder unless the information becomes consistent and there are more positive comments around.

  7. #7
    Senior Member psykoocycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice find CHOP...

    KAB: A few MTB buddies stay away from CF seat posts and handlebars for this reason. I'm not saying they all break, but I hear there's a lot of CF knockoffs on the market that are really not manufactured to specs.

    Too bad... such a nice bike... such a crazy price!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Chop!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cymru (Wales)
    My Bikes
    GoBike, Long-john, Strida III, Oke Ja recumbent, Brompton, Moulton, BSA, Strida 5
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabir View Post
    The page is actually Korean, not Chinese. Anyway, I did some search on "Hasa Minimax". It turns out someone in Taipai is selling a second hand one for 45000 NT$ (about $1400) since his girlfriend doesn't like folding bikes. Well, so much for the globalization.
    Oops, sorry Kabir, I actually thought it was Korean, but google said translating from Chinese!
    I also found the lad that was selling his girlfriend's but having seen the Mickey Mouse seat post, I won't be busting a gut to find one!
    A to Z of Folding Bikes, Designers, Sellers, Accessories, Forums, Meetings, Publications
    My bicycle site
    My Microcar & alternate energy vehicle site.
    Site for the Rock& Roll Tour Bus that I drive.
    Chop! The mad Welshman, lost in the urban jungle somewhere between LLanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Vladivostock!

  9. #9
    jur
    jur is online now
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,151
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I commented previously about the rear fork's attachment to the seat tube - doesn't inspire confidence.
    My folding bike photo essays www.dekter.net/

  10. #10
    Car free since 1995 pm124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Birdy Yellow, Birdy Monocoque
    Posts
    1,004
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This bike is distributed in Thailand for 85,000 baht, or about $2700. Of course, that's just 1300 GBP, more of a good deal. http://www.kosmikbike.com/bikes/show...imax&type=FOLD

  11. #11
    Bromptonaut 14R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Florida - USA
    My Bikes
    2012 Brompton S6R; 2003 Litespeed Firenze; 1994 Diamond BAck Axis TT
    Posts
    1,652
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On Interbike for US$1200.


  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    12,254
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another one from Giantetti

  13. #13
    Senior Member jnb-rare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    Dahon Mu SL
    Posts
    126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The challenge of high technology! Today during a ride I came upon a roadie who had stopped and was looking at his bike. I asked him if everything was OK, and if he needed any tools. He said his rear wheel felt loose and he had just figured out the problem with his $6000 Cervelo carbon-fiber race bike (he told me the price, I'm not guessing) -- the chainstay on the derailleur side had cracked and was beginning to separate! His wheel was floating around and the tire was all chewed up from rubbing. I gave him directions to the nearest exit from the park path system. He had a long walk in his super stiff roadie shoes!

    I guess the higher the technology, the greater the need for superior quality control.

  14. #14
    Seņor Mambo
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fremont, CA
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday, Bridgestone MB-6 700c, Ti-frame Xtracycle, RANS, Brompton, Dahon, Downtube IXFS, ex-Birdy & a recumbent pedicab.
    Posts
    1,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnb-rare View Post
    The challenge of high technology! Today during a ride I came upon a roadie who had stopped and was looking at his bike. I asked him if everything was OK, and if he needed any tools. He said his rear wheel felt loose and he had just figured out the problem with his $6000 Cervelo carbon-fiber race bike (he told me the price, I'm not guessing) -- the chainstay on the derailleur side had cracked and was beginning to separate! His wheel was floating around and the tire was all chewed up from rubbing. I gave him directions to the nearest exit from the park path system. He had a long walk in his super stiff roadie shoes!

    I guess the higher the technology, the greater the need for superior quality control.
    D'oh! I wish I hadn't read this.

  15. #15
    Bromptonaut 14R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Florida - USA
    My Bikes
    2012 Brompton S6R; 2003 Litespeed Firenze; 1994 Diamond BAck Axis TT
    Posts
    1,652
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those bikes are nice! If you have a truck following you with a bike mechanic and the equivalent of 3 other bikes as spares, they are nice. If someone else is paying for this to take place, they are really really nice.

  16. #16
    Elmira>Taiwan>Elmira flatlander_48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    My Bikes
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)
    Posts
    1,291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I visited the Hasa booth at the Taipei Bike Show in 2006. The bike had just been released for sale at that point. Given that it was a Folder, I was surprised at how light it was. 9kg seems about right as that is 19.8 pounds. The Korean won figure of 3,330,000w translates to 3,625usd. Their products seem to be pretty decent. They also make titanium, titanium/carbon and carbon road frames. Not sure if they do MTB frames...
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (steel)
    Full Campagnolo double compact drivetrain - Chorus 11sp
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Gobi saddle and bar tape
    BeBop Pedals

  17. #17
    jur
    jur is online now
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,151
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    9kg? It's not hard to get a folder weight to that. Won't cost $3k either.
    My folding bike photo essays www.dekter.net/

  18. #18
    Elmira>Taiwan>Elmira flatlander_48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    My Bikes
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)
    Posts
    1,291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jur View Post
    9kg? It's not hard to get a folder weight to that. Won't cost $3k either.
    There could some duties in Korea that jack up the price for imported goods...
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (steel)
    Full Campagnolo double compact drivetrain - Chorus 11sp
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Gobi saddle and bar tape
    BeBop Pedals

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •