Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Jetstream P8 vs. Downtube FS 9speed

    Between the Dahon Jetstream and the Downtube FS, which would be the best for a 200 pound 6'2" rider?
    Which has the stiffest, non-flexing frame? Which comes with the most standard, non-proprietry, components? I am not too sold on the no-stem steering stalk. I would think that the ability to add a right sized stem would be nice. Are the components on each bike easily upgraded or replaced with parts available at your local bike shop? Which bike of the two has the greatest cockpit space dimensions?
    Which folds to the smallest package.
    Thanks for your opinions and facts.
    PCG

  2. #2
    Seņor Mambo
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fremont, CA
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday, Bridgestone MB-6 700c, Ti-frame Xtracycle, RANS, Brompton, Dahon, Downtube IXFS, ex-Birdy & a recumbent pedicab.
    Posts
    1,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of the DT FS parts are stock. The foam grips have to go though; I don't know why DT even specs them. I now see why people are spending in the hundreds to upgrade this machine: I probably would have done so too, but I'm keeping this bike as a camping/dirt trail beater. The Jetstream is spec'd with far better components but with a price to match.

    200lbs is no problem on the DT FS. At 5'10", the cockpit space fits me fine; I put a negative rise on the stem which allows me to get in a good crouch while riding. Suspension seems fine to me, but I don't have a lot of experience with suspension bikes in general. I can say the suspension doesn't squeak which is great, and on regular roads, I can ride the FS pretty fast (I over inflate the tubes in the stock tires). I'm pretty pleased with what I got for what I paid, though it is a heavy bike to carry around and does not have anything holding it together when folded.

    In terms of the drivetrain, the 9-speed Juju derailleur and shifter has worked well out of the box for me. I tried purposely bouncing and jumping up and down while riding to see if I could get it to inadvertently shift, which it did, only one time. I haven't been able to do it again.

  3. #3
    Senior Member downtube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    My Bikes
    Many Downtube Folders :)
    Posts
    631
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spambait11 View Post
    All of the DT FS parts are stock. The foam grips have to go though; I don't know why DT even specs them. I now see why people are spending in the hundreds to upgrade this machine: I probably would have done so too, but I'm keeping this bike as a camping/dirt trail beater. The Jetstream is spec'd with far better components but with a price to match.

    200lbs is no problem on the DT FS. At 5'10", the cockpit space fits me fine; I put a negative rise on the stem which allows me to get in a good crouch while riding. Suspension seems fine to me, but I don't have a lot of experience with suspension bikes in general. I can say the suspension doesn't squeak which is great, and on regular roads, I can ride the FS pretty fast (I over inflate the tubes in the stock tires). I'm pretty pleased with what I got for what I paid, though it is a heavy bike to carry around and does not have anything holding it together when folded.

    In terms of the drivetrain, the 9-speed Juju derailleur and shifter has worked well out of the box for me. I tried purposely bouncing and jumping up and down while riding to see if I could get it to inadvertently shift, which it did, only one time. I haven't been able to do it again.
    FYI I think you are comparing a 2007 FS, our 2008's are have many upgrades over the 2007's. Has anyone out there that has ridden/seen both 2008 models?

    Thanks,
    Yan

  4. #4
    Senior Member JosephLMonti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by downtube View Post
    FYI I think you are comparing a 2007 FS, our 2008's are have many upgrades over the 2007's. Has anyone out there that has ridden/seen both 2008 models?

    Thanks,
    Yan
    @Yan - Based on some of your YouTube videos, it looks like you just came back from Interbike 2008. For that show, were you featuring your 2008 models or were you giving folks a preview of what's to come with the 2009 release (June 2008?)? If the latter, would you be willing to say a few words here about changes your are envisioning for the next gen of DTs?

  5. #5
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hi
    two different bikes ..and I will not go into specifics ..
    dont fall into the parts are stock trap....

    sure the handelbar stem on every folder is special to the bike ... same as every hinge mechanism ....they are all different. for every bike .... What spare parts you think you can get from more different places ...
    ( although I am the first to admit that Dahons spare part availibility has to further improove, especially in some countries like the UK )

    Or look at the seatpost .. sure a 27.2 mm diameter seatpost sounds like standard versus a 34 mm Dahon size ... BUT you need a considerable longer than standard seatpost ... guess that seatpost is only available from ONE source ...
    (I have currently 8 different 34 mm dahon seatposts in stock, surely I am the exception, but they exist )

    This propieraty stuff is way overblown, if you live in the sticks like I do , every bike part is hard to find, as there is no bike shop in town.... but thanks to google i can find almost everything.

    Best if you actually testride booth bikes ... IF you find a dealer in your necks of the wood ...

  6. #6
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pismocycleguy View Post
    Between the Dahon Jetstream and the Downtube FS, which would be the best for a 200 pound 6'2" rider?
    Which has the stiffest, non-flexing frame? Which comes with the most standard, non-proprietry, components?

    Thanks for your opinions and facts.
    PCG
    I'm a smaller rider, but can feel some flex in my 2007 FS. This is the first bike I've ever felt any in, so it's not like I'm particularly sensitive to it. The whole suspension tuning isn't bad, but isn't great, either. Maybe that's asking a little too much for a folder with a teeny, tiny little damper on it. If I were the designer, I'd probably have just gone with an elastomer.

    After changing shifter, derailler, front chainring, crankset and chain, I'm pretty happy with my bike, but by doing that much work, it's not so much of a bargain anymore. Before I did these changes, I had to deal with inadvertant shifts and thrown chains all the freakin' time. Since I've done the work, I don't think it's thrown the chain once. I have a 53 tooth chainring, but I'd probably recommend a 50. It folds up pretty small (not microscopic or anything, but small enough to throw in a car trunk easily).

    If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the hardtail. I did take my FS off-road, but only long enough for a good crash. How often do you have to take a folder on a trail so nasty that you _have_ to have rear suspension? I also would have given the Mini a lot closer look. I probably also would have given some of the more expensive bikes a closer look. Having said all this, I still think the FS is a good bike and worth what you pay for it, but it isn't the end all / be all in biking.

  7. #7
    Seņor Mambo
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fremont, CA
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday, Bridgestone MB-6 700c, Ti-frame Xtracycle, RANS, Brompton, Dahon, Downtube IXFS, ex-Birdy & a recumbent pedicab.
    Posts
    1,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by downtube View Post
    FYI I think you are comparing a 2007 FS...
    You're right. Good point.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •