Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-07, 11:06 PM   #1
duke_of_hazard
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Peoria, Illinois
Bikes:
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ready to get a Dahon D7

I will use the bike as follows:

90% road/bike path commuting 12 miles
5% gravel trail biking
5% travelling by train to Chicago to bike there

SInce I will only be using the folding aspect 5% of the time ( when I go to Chicago ), should I get the cheaper boardwalk $180 plus a cheap full-size touring bike for $150? Or is this $320 Dahon D7 good enough for what I need . I would rather have one bike rather than mantain and house two bikes. Anything else I should be looking at for under $350 ?
duke_of_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-07, 07:25 AM   #2
ShinyBiker
Pedaling fool
 
ShinyBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, VA
Bikes: 07 Schwinn Voyageur GSD, Next Avalon, 2007 Dahon Yeah
Posts: 763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think you will find that having more than one bike is always best (unless space is a consideration). The chief reason is for breakdown/maintenance reasons i.e. one bike breaks down and you use one when the other gets repaired. A lot of us started out with one or two bikes then expanded as needs warranted.

I, for example, have a folder for portability, a commuter, a rainy day commuter (w/fenders) and a comfort/hybrid that has a child carrier in the back to take my daughter places.
ShinyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-07, 07:29 AM   #3
keithnyc
Senior Member
 
keithnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes: Dahon Folder Speed D7
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
duke-
i was where you were last year....it was a toss-up between the Dahon 26' Espresso and the D7, but when I realized how well the 20" wheel base rode, I ended up getting the Dahon Speed D7 (the cobalt blue '06 model, not the pea soup green '07) . Although the '07 model has the adjustable handlebar height and a few other little enhancements, I just couldn't get past the pea soup green color. I ended up getting the best price at www.brandcycle.com ($290 which included tax and next day shipping). Good luck.
keithnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-07, 07:32 AM   #4
brakemeister 
New usename ThorUSA
 
brakemeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lol
I actually have one cobalt blue 06 left over ..... besides pea green ones ..lol
__________________
www.thorusa.com
Dahon : Freedom Unfolds
Tern : all about the ride
brakemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-07, 09:51 AM   #5
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget
 
Bacciagalupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The cheaper Boardwalk only has one speed, IIRC. So if 90% of what you do is flat, that will work out OK. It will be a little easier to maintain, by the way.

If you think you will encounter any hills or wind, though, I'd go for a D7 or another model with multiple gears.
Bacciagalupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-07, 06:39 AM   #6
keithnyc
Senior Member
 
keithnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes: Dahon Folder Speed D7
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
brakemeister- I may have asked you this before (so I apologize), but how much would it cost for me to convert the fixed handlebar shaft on my '06 D7 to the adjustable version on the '07? Basically, I'd be looking for someone to ship everything to me so I could just pop it on myself with no major tool work, if that's possible. Thanks...
keithnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-07, 08:59 PM   #7
4cmd3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithnyc View Post
brakemeister- I may have asked you this before (so I apologize), but how much would it cost for me to convert the fixed handlebar shaft on my '06 D7 to the adjustable version on the '07? Basically, I'd be looking for someone to ship everything to me so I could just pop it on myself with no major tool work, if that's possible. Thanks...
Just in case Thor is busy, I think that you'd be looking at:
1x Dahon Revolve Stem with quick release top (19.25)
1x Dahon fusion extender Handlepost (49.95)
------
$69.20 (US) + shipping etc.

You can find both at:
http://www.thorusa.com/dahon/accessories/handlebar.htm

I can't guarantee that it is a straight-swap, but I would bet it is with an '06.
From what I've seen, I think '05 and earlier required a little "adjustment" to make it work.

Dahon has a PDF on their website (under Support iirc) on installing/fitting the handlepost.
Unfortunately I can't get to their site just now or I'd provide you the link.
cheers
4cmd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-07, 10:47 AM   #8
keithnyc
Senior Member
 
keithnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes: Dahon Folder Speed D7
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Perfect...thanks so much 4cmd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cmd3 View Post
Just in case Thor is busy, I think that you'd be looking at:
1x Dahon Revolve Stem with quick release top (19.25)
1x Dahon fusion extender Handlepost (49.95)
------
$69.20 (US) + shipping etc.

You can find both at:
http://www.thorusa.com/dahon/accessories/handlebar.htm

I can't guarantee that it is a straight-swap, but I would bet it is with an '06.
From what I've seen, I think '05 and earlier required a little "adjustment" to make it work.

Dahon has a PDF on their website (under Support iirc) on installing/fitting the handlepost.
Unfortunately I can't get to their site just now or I'd provide you the link.
cheers

Exactly what I needed.....have a great weekend and thanks again.
keithnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 03:45 PM   #9
GTALuigi
Senior Member
 
GTALuigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: GTA
Bikes: Dahon Mu SL 08 / Matrix 08
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the way i use my Dahon Mu SL is for a daily 2 hours commute to work, which is a mix of all terrains, including dirt ( nice shortcuts cars can't use )
GTALuigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 04:21 PM   #10
djgonzo007
Sprint the hills!
 
djgonzo007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Pasadena, CA
Bikes: Klein Q-Pro w/Campy, Dahon MU P8
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithnyc View Post
I ended up getting the Dahon Speed D7 (the cobalt blue '06 model, not the pea soup green '07) . Although the '07 model has the adjustable handlebar height and a few other little enhancements, I ended up getting the best price at www.brandcycle.com ($290 which included tax and next day shipping). Good luck.
I have the same bike. Found mine on craigslist, the owner had been given it as a gift from her husband and had never ridden it. It was brand new! I paid $250 for it.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------

'06 Klein Q-Pro with Campy
'09 Dahon Mu P8
djgonzo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 04:24 PM   #11
vik 
cyclopath
 
vik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
Posts: 5,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If your budget is $350 get the best bike you can for that amount that suits your needs. Trying to get a touring bike for $150 will be quite a challenge - especially anything you actually will enjoy riding and don't have to do repairs to.

Assuming the D7 fits you well it can be your only bike.
__________________
safe riding - Vik
VikApproved
vik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 06:04 PM   #12
vmaniqui
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay Area, SF California
Bikes: Citizen Tokyo, A-Bike, Dahon Boardwalk D6, Dahon Boardwalk D7, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu XL, BF Tikit2, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Curve SL.
Posts: 1,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyBiker View Post
I think you will find that having more than one bike is always best (unless space is a consideration). The chief reason is for breakdown/maintenance reasons i.e. one bike breaks down and you use one when the other gets repaired. A lot of us started out with one or two bikes then expanded as needs warranted.

I, for example, have a folder for portability, a commuter, a rainy day commuter (w/fenders) and a comfort/hybrid that has a child carrier in the back to take my daughter places.
i am with you on this one. at first i thought i only need a cheap, foldable, low maintenance bike for my bart commute. now after about 4 months i ended up with a citizen tokyo, dahon boardwalk D6, A-Bike (clone one) and a Dahon Boardwalk D7 (that i intend on upgrading). so i can pretty much say that this is the start of what you call folderitis......

thanks,
vic
vmaniqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:59 AM.