Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   AAARGH! Lost bike!! (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/354414-aaargh-lost-bike.html)

nekohime 10-17-07 03:45 PM

AAARGH! Lost bike!!
 
rant

AAAAAARGH!!

So I just bought a Kent Ultralite folding bike two weeks ago, and I liked it a lot. I finally got to commute with it this week...but then I left it on the bike rack yesterday and now it's goooooooooooone.:cry:

Damn buses leaving before I could take the bike off...and if it was stolen, DAMN THOSE BIKE THIEVES TOO!! :mad: :fight:

/rant

Seriously though, I'm really upset over the loss of my bike because I'm a poor student who really needs wheels but can't afford to buy a new bike at the same price. Anyone want to take pity on me and sell me their folding bike for a cheap price? I live in the LA area...

Nachoman 10-17-07 05:44 PM

If I understand you correctly you placed your bicycle on a bus bike rack, and exited the bus without taking your bike off the bus bike rack? If so, and it's not too late, call the bus company immediately, speak with a supervisor, and get them to call the driver of the bus to instruct the driver to bring back the bike. Good luck.

nekohime 10-17-07 06:37 PM

I did that immediately after the bus drove off, then again after a couple of hours, then again today. The dispatch people & supervisors said no bike of that description was returned. :( But they also said that it can take up to 3 days for the bike to be returned, and that they'd call me if they got it. *crosses fingers*

csr 10-17-07 08:49 PM

Has anyone made a microchip that sends out signals every so often, that one can slip into the bike somewhere?

yamcha 10-17-07 10:16 PM

I live in Orange County and have a almost new Citizens Bike that I am willing to sell to you. If you look at my posting history you will see that I didn't have it for more than 2 weeks before getting a Dahon and I that I have taken it to the LBS to get the gears fine tuned. Let me know.

http://www.citizenbike.com/images/ci...rame_black.jpg

http://www.citizenbike.com

folder fanatic 10-18-07 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekohime (Post 5472505)
rant

AAAAAARGH!!

So I just bought a Kent Ultralite folding bike two weeks ago, and I liked it a lot. I finally got to commute with it this week...but then I left it on the bike rack yesterday and now it's goooooooooooone.:cry:

Damn buses leaving before I could take the bike off...and if it was stolen, DAMN THOSE BIKE THIEVES TOO!! :mad: :fight:

/rant

Seriously though, I'm really upset over the loss of my bike because I'm a poor student who really needs wheels but can't afford to buy a new bike at the same price. Anyone want to take pity on me and sell me their folding bike for a cheap price? I live in the LA area...

O.K. Don't be too hard on yourself. Perhaps you did not know that you can take your folded bike on the bus (especially with a cover over it). I always do since I almost had my luggage cart driven away one time-and the thing was with me, not dangling on a rack. Besides, you could leave a spot for someone who might need it (i.e. a non folding bike), and have the peace of mind knowing that your bike is not exposed to the elements (rain, heavy wind, etc.) and is ever ready to leave the bus with you at amy time. If you are in the market for a cheap new folder, check this out. There is a store in Pasadena (I actually saw one of this model last Saturday right on the showroom floor already tuned up and ready to go-a rare sight around here), and other retail stores scattered around Los Angeles and outlying areas (see top link). The price is very very cheap:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=23690&item=30-0105&slitrk=search&slisearch=true

My first folder was this very same make/model. While I have extensively remodeled it, it is fine in it's original form. Please let us know if your bike has been returned (I would be very supprised either way), or you have a new one.

nekohime 10-18-07 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csr (Post 5474741)
Has anyone made a microchip that sends out signals every so often, that one can slip into the bike somewhere?

I know a couple of university police departments that install RFID chips on your bike, but only if it's a high-end model. Mine, being a lowly Kent Ultralite, does not fit the bill.

nekohime 10-18-07 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by folder fanatic (Post 5477868)
Perhaps you did not know that you can take your folded bike on the bus (especially with a cover over it).

I was going to do that, but the bus came right as I pulled up into the stop, so I had no time to fold it (still not used to folding it, because it was new and the hinges are still kinda stiff).

Also...I got my bike for $160 and I really, really can't afford anything more than that again. I saw the same model on ebay (same seller I got it from) for cheaper, and if I can get that, I will be very happy. I will also buy a bike bag this time so that I don't run into the same problem again.

If I can get my bike back, I will be much much happier, but I'm not counting on that.

nekohime 10-18-07 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yamcha (Post 5475295)
I live in Orange County and have a almost new Citizens Bike that I am willing to sell to you. If you look at my posting history you will see that I didn't have it for more than 2 weeks before getting a Dahon and I that I have taken it to the LBS to get the gears fine tuned. Let me know.

http://www.citizenbike.com/images/ci...rame_black.jpg

http://www.citizenbike.com

How heavy is the bike? The website doesn't seem to say...

yamcha 10-18-07 02:27 PM

It's 35lb. You could shave off a few lb by taking off the rack and fenders. All in all it's a good bike, I keep it as a spare but seeing the situation you're in and that we both live in SoCal...

willzz 10-19-07 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekohime (Post 5472505)
rant

AAAAAARGH!!

So I just bought a Kent Ultralite folding bike two weeks ago, and I liked it a lot. I finally got to commute with it this week...but then I left it on the bike rack yesterday and now it's goooooooooooone.:cry:

Damn buses leaving before I could take the bike off...and if it was stolen, DAMN THOSE BIKE THIEVES TOO!! :mad: :fight:

/rant

Seriously though, I'm really upset over the loss of my bike because I'm a poor student who really needs wheels but can't afford to buy a new bike at the same price. Anyone want to take pity on me and sell me their folding bike for a cheap price? I live in the LA area...

sorry for your lost..
next time.. if you put a bike on the rack..
always..go out the front door and tell the driver to wait till you get your bike..
or fold it .. bring it on board.. if you see that if the rack is full..before the bus pulls in...
you could have beat on the side of the bus ..to stop it if you could before it takes off..

i left a bag behind on the bus before.. called them.. but a few days later..
still not found..
oh well.. lesson learned..

csr 10-19-07 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekohime (Post 5478284)
I know a couple of university police departments that install RFID chips on your bike, but only if it's a high-end model.

Elitists!!

The value of a bike is its importance to the owner.

Old Dirt Hill 10-19-07 11:10 AM

Wouldn't an RFID chip only help if someone with an RFID scanner was intentionally scanning the bike?

I think this might help if a bike is found by the cops, i.e., when someone finds a pet 1000 miles away...but the RFID chip isn't going to call you up and tell you where it's at.

Anyway, I hope you find your bike.

nekohime 10-20-07 02:25 AM

The bus company called me to keep me updated, but no bike yet. Good service on their part. I will be VERY surprised and a lot pissed if the bike does turn up though, because with the help of my wonderful bf, I was able to buy the same model from the ebay vendor I got it from last time. This time I am not going to put it on the rack ever. Never mind the death stares I will get from people in a crowded bus--I am NOT losing my bike again.

awetmore 10-20-07 09:44 AM

I'm glad that you were able to find a replacement and I hope that you bike turns up in the lost and found.

I have put a bike onto the bus thousands of times (11 years of commuting by bike 5 days a week over 40 weeks a year). It is safe to do, but it is also your responsibility to sit up front (so that you can see the bike) and to tell the driver that you need to get your bike before leaving the bus. I wouldn't avoid using the bus racks completely.

folder fanatic 10-20-07 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awetmore (Post 5490262)
I'm glad that you were able to find a replacement and I hope that you bike turns up in the lost and found.

I have put a bike onto the bus thousands of times (11 years of commuting by bike 5 days a week over 40 weeks a year). It is safe to do, but it is also your responsibility to sit up front (so that you can see the bike) and to tell the driver that you need to get your bike before leaving the bus. I wouldn't avoid using the bus racks completely.

I do not recommend it since bus drivers around Southern California are very hard pressed to maintain some sort of schedule. And they do not like to wait for anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekohime (Post 5489523)
The bus company called me to keep me updated, but no bike yet. Good service on their part. I will be VERY surprised and a lot pissed if the bike does turn up though, because with the help of my wonderful bf, I was able to buy the same model from the ebay vendor I got it from last time. This time I am not going to put it on the rack ever. Never mind the death stares I will get from people in a crowded bus--I am NOT losing my bike again.

That attitude is the beginning of being an adult and taking care of yourself-no one else will. I am happy to hear that you will be able to get another bike. Hope to hear from you again.

nekohime 10-20-07 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by folder fanatic (Post 5491087)
I do not recommend it since bus drivers around Southern California are very hard pressed to maintain some sort of schedule. And they do not like to wait for anything.

Yeah, that's kinda why the bike got left behind. Oh well, lesson learned.

chanchan 10-21-07 03:46 PM

Dahon frameset only for cheap
 
The guy seem to having sold a complete Dahon Speed and now sell a Dahon Speed frameset. This one have been highly customized (low rider, cable stop,...)

Might be an interesting project.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=019


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:06 PM.