Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member cmcanulty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ordered My Downtube NS

    I just finally got the Downtube coupon to work and ordered my 2007 20" NS. I am excited. It was a close call with Dahon but finally went with Yan as I like him and the standard parts on the Downtube and the lower gear as I don't travel light. I always have my service dog with me and books , groceries etc. Now I need ideas to extend the rear fender hopefully a solution that looks decent. Thanks everyone for the help in the selection.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Fr...965809&sr=1-70

    $9.99 plus shipping for each front or rear fender (and the shipping prices aren't inflated like they are with some online vendors)

    They're more than adequate, in fact I just got finished riding to work in the pouring rain and I'm dry as can be (except for a little sweat). The only thing bad I can say about these fenders is that they're probably meant for 451mm wheels ('20"') rather than the 406mm wheels ('20"') that the downtube uses. As a result the stays are a little bit long. They still fit, but I would definitely like to trim my stays when I come across the proper tools.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Union County, NJ
    My Bikes
    a cheapo folder
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been wanting to buy a Downtube also. What coupon are you referring to?

  4. #4
    Senior Member JosephLMonti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NJfolder View Post
    I've been wanting to buy a Downtube also. What coupon are you referring to?
    NJ - If you dont mind a little driving, you could check-out the DT bikeshop:

    http://www.downtube.com/Bensalem_PA_Folding_Bike_Store/

  5. #5
    Pedaling fool ShinyBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    My Bikes
    07 Schwinn Voyageur GSD, Next Avalon, 2007 Dahon Yeah
    Posts
    776
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephLMonti View Post
    NJ - If you dont mind a little driving, you could check-out the DT bikeshop:

    http://www.downtube.com/Bensalem_PA_Folding_Bike_Store/
    Huh?

    I don't think you answered the question.

  6. #6
    Senior Member JosephLMonti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyBiker View Post
    Huh?

    I don't think you answered the question.
    Oops, good point . To answer the question, the coupon can be found on this very page between posts #2 and #3. It reads "http://www.downtube.com - $20 off Downtube IXFS or mini use coupon code SALE"

  7. #7
    Senior Member cmcanulty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the SALE code on the 20" NS 2007 and it worked today, didn't work last week when I tried

  8. #8
    Eschew Obfuscation SesameCrunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder
    Posts
    3,843
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephLMonti View Post
    Oops, good point . To answer the question, the coupon can be found on this very page between posts #2 and #3. It reads "http://www.downtube.com - $20 off Downtube IXFS or mini use coupon code SALE"
    Ha! Those of us with red stars next to our names don't see that ad. I used to think that was a good thing. Now, I'm not so sure .

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephLMonti View Post
    Oops, good point . To answer the question, the coupon can be found on this very page between posts #2 and #3. It reads "http://www.downtube.com - $20 off Downtube IXFS or mini use coupon code SALE"
    I thought that the "coupon" was only for a discount on the Downtube IXFS and the mini?
    PCG

  10. #10
    Senior Member JosephLMonti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SesameCrunch View Post
    Ha! Those of us with red stars next to our names don't see that ad. I used to think that was a good thing. Now, I'm not so sure .
    What does the red star mean anyway?

  11. #11
    Senior Member JosephLMonti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pismocycleguy View Post
    I thought that the "coupon" was only for a discount on the Downtube IXFS and the mini?
    PCG
    Looks like cmcanulty got away with using it to buy the NS.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Union County, NJ
    My Bikes
    a cheapo folder
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I have thought about taking a drive to the Downtube store since I think it's only about an hour from me. That way I'd get to see the bikes in person and maybe even take a test drive.

  13. #13
    Senior Member JosephLMonti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NJfolder View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have thought about taking a drive to the Downtube store since I think it's only about an hour from me. That way I'd get to see the bikes in person and maybe even take a test drive.
    And maybe even take a test drive? If I were you, I'd pack a lunch and spend the better part of an afternoon test riding every model in the DT line up. I'd kill to be an hour from a stocking dealer. I thought about making a road trip to the Ocracoke shop...until I realized it was an 11 hour drive

  14. #14
    Eschew Obfuscation SesameCrunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder
    Posts
    3,843
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephLMonti View Post
    What does the red star mean anyway?
    It means we paid a membership fee to Bike Forums to support the site. We don't see advertisements as a consequence.

  15. #15
    Senior Member cmcanulty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The coupon code SALE is put in many of the forum threads. I fiddled with SALE in the coupon code and comments area and finally got it to work on the NS. Until a few days ago it didn't say just the mini IX FS. Anyway it worked for me on the NS.

  16. #16
    Senior Member JosephLMonti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    The coupon code SALE is put in many of the forum threads. I fiddled with SALE in the coupon code and comments area and finally got it to work on the NS. Until a few days ago it didn't say just the mini IX FS. Anyway it worked for me on the NS.
    I'm glad that it worked for you. I'm surprised that the coupon specifies the Mini or FS anyway...those two models seem to be the top sellers by far (and I don't think it's b/c of the coupon).

  17. #17
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,906
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    I just finally got the Downtube coupon to work and ordered my 2007 20" NS. I am excited. It was a close call with Dahon but finally went with Yan as I like him and the standard parts on the Downtube and the lower gear as I don't travel light. I always have my service dog with me and books , groceries etc. Now I need ideas to extend the rear fender hopefully a solution that looks decent. Thanks everyone for the help in the selection.
    Congrats !


    I love my NS !!

    I fab sports cars as a job so Im going to make a cool Carbon Fibre fender/rack shield
    for mine. It does need it in the rain. Ill post a pic when Im done.

    I hope it lives up to your expectations.
    Mine is just a teaser....now I want a Xootr or B-Friday
    -ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •