Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: My UNMODIFIED folder is comfortable up to?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2 to 10 miles

    6 20.69%
  • 10 to 20 miles

    8 27.59%
  • over 20

    5 17.24%
  • As comfotable as any full sized bike I have ridden.

    9 31.03%
  • Not comfortable at all but I need a bike that can fold.

    1 3.45%
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Comfort poll

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Comfort poll

    How comfortable is it?

  2. #2
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,289
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Irrelevant - I mod my folders until they are comfortable. I don't expect them to be comfortable out of the box.
    My folding bike photo essays www.dekter.net/

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,293
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's a Brompton or Birdy, probably over 20.

    My Dahon 16' inch Presto is uncomfortable after 10 miles. With my suspension seat post, closer to 40 miles. With a Brooks Champion Flyer, who knows?

    There's no question that a smaller wheel is going to be harder than a full size hybrid. This can be rectified easily and for not too much money.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jur View Post
    Irrelevant - I mod my folders until they are comfortable. I don't expect them to be comfortable out of the box.

    Make your own poll then for yourself. I and many people do expect some level of comfort right out of the box and I think folding bike makers do want their bikes to be comfortable too.

  5. #5
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just rode my Dahon Speed D7 a bit over 20miles with no discomfort and it is stock.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  6. #6
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,289
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yamcha View Post
    Make your own poll then for yourself. I and many people do expect some level of comfort right out of the box and I think folding bike makers do want their bikes to be comfortable too.
    Your comfort is defined by short distance. Mine by long distance. It is relatively easy to stick a thick padded saddle and some platform pedals along with standard grips on a bike and it should be fair for the distance in your poll. Try to ride it a century and it quickly becomes clear that the rules change for real long-distance comfort.

    I often ride my folders on centuries and beyond and they're very comfy. I ride them beyond 20mi every day.
    My folding bike photo essays www.dekter.net/

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah you have a point jur. Personally, i think it's stupid to modify a folder into a road bike. It defeats the purpose and spirit of the bike. But that's just me and yes, I am a short distance rider. The longest I've ever ridden on my folder is maybe 15 miles and it was OK but not great.
    Last edited by yamcha; 11-14-07 at 11:49 AM.

  8. #8
    rhm
    rhm is online now
    multimodal commuter rhm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NJ, NYC, LI
    My Bikes
    1940s Fothergill, 1948 Raleigh Record Ace, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1972 Fuji Finest, 1983 Trek 720, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...
    Posts
    12,712
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yamcha View Post
    ... Personally, i think it's stupid to modify a folder into a road bike. It defeats the purpose and spirit of the bike....
    +1.

    My Downtube Mini is somewhat modified, with fenders, dynamo hub with accompanying lights, brooks saddle, etc; but these do not really change the fit, so don't count. More importantly, they do not change the fold. I've also changed the tires, which I suppose is more relevant, but hardly counts as a modification (or does it?). The result is a bike that matches my personal needs and preferences better than it did out-of-the-box, but I consider the bike, for the purposes of this poll, unmodified. Oh, and I changed the grips almost immediately, because the stock grips were definitely uncomfortable. Does that count?

    That said... there is no discomfort involved in riding this bike; it's less efficient, due to aerodynamics, than a bike that would offer a longer reach. So after 15-mile rides, which I've done many times, I find I'm more tired than after my usual 5-10 mile rides (go figure!). I don't think I'd go much beyond 25 miles just because being in the same riding position for two hours would probably lead to discomfort.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Leigh_caines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Woolgoolga NSW Australia
    My Bikes
    Long Recumbent, Short recombent, racing bike, MTB, beach bike,Tandem,Fixy.2 twentys and a folding bike
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think jur is right
    well for me he is...
    I've never bought a bike that was right out of the box...
    always need to change something and offten a lot.

  10. #10
    Old enough to know better Spudmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    My Bikes
    On One, Surly, Gunnar, Lemond
    Posts
    257
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yamcha View Post
    Personally, i think it's stupid to modify a folder into a road bike. It defeats the purpose and spirit of the bike.
    I don't understand why this 'defeats the purpose and spirit of the bike'. You don't get a folding bike so you can fold it, you get it to RIDE. Folding is just a bonus that makes it easier to get the bike to where you're going to RIDE. RIDING is the purpose of all bikes.

    On topic - I've never had a bike that was completely comfortable out of the box.

  11. #11
    Old enough to know better Spudmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    My Bikes
    On One, Surly, Gunnar, Lemond
    Posts
    257
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhm View Post
    My Downtube Mini is somewhat modified, with fenders, dynamo hub with accompanying lights, brooks saddle, etc; but these do not really change the fit, so don't count. More importantly, they do not change the fold. I've also changed the tires, which I suppose is more relevant, but hardly counts as a modification (or does it?). The result is a bike that matches my personal needs and preferences better than it did out-of-the-box, but I consider the bike, for the purposes of this poll, unmodified. Oh, and I changed the grips almost immediately, because the stock grips were definitely uncomfortable. Does that count?
    You changed the saddle, grips & tires. Dude, you've modified your bike to make it more comfortable.
    Last edited by Spudmeister; 11-14-07 at 01:51 PM. Reason: incomplete

  12. #12
    No Rocket Surgeon eubi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Corona and S. El Monte, CA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale D600, Dahon Speed T7
    Posts
    1,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done multiple 25 and 50 milers on my Dahon D7.

    For me, it was comfortable right out of the box.

    Come to think of it, the stock tire failed during one of the 50 milers! Had to repair it with a boot so I could continue! I replaced both tires with 1.75" Schwalbes.

    I put another saddle on it that I thought would be more comfortable, but went back to the stock seat after a couple of rides.

    Oh, I added Crane Creek bullhorns and clipless pedals.

    Hmm. My position isn't getting any better here...
    Fewer Cars, more handlebars!

  13. #13
    rhm
    rhm is online now
    multimodal commuter rhm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NJ, NYC, LI
    My Bikes
    1940s Fothergill, 1948 Raleigh Record Ace, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1972 Fuji Finest, 1983 Trek 720, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...
    Posts
    12,712
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudmeister View Post
    You changed the saddle, grips & tires. Dude, you've modified your bike to make it more comfortable.
    Yeah, yeah, you have a point, but it's a matter of definition, isn't it? These things are ephemeral, changing them doesn't change the geometry or fit of the bike. With the exception of the tires, of course, since I put a big one in front and a little one in back, effectively relaxing the frame angles by a degree or so.

    Oh, I forgot to mention this one: I also disabled the suspension on mine by tying it into compressed position with nylon twine. Another modification made for the sake of comfort!

    For my purposes, the most important thing about the folding bike is that it folds, and any modification that has no impact on the fold is irrelevant. Which brings us to your other point:

    Quote Originally Posted by Spudmeister View Post
    I don't understand why this 'defeats the purpose and spirit of the bike'. You don't get a folding bike so you can fold it, you get it to RIDE. Folding is just a bonus that makes it easier to get the bike to where you're going to RIDE. RIDING is the purpose of all bikes.
    This just isn't true in my case; if my bike didn't fold up, I wouldn't be able to take it on commuter trains during rush hour, so it would become useless as a commuting machine. I would like to change the stem, to increase reach and thus comfort and efficiency, but then the fold would be less compact and the bike would be less useful; so that modification would indeed defeat the purpose of the bike. As for its spirit... well, I'm not sure what the spirit is either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spudmeister View Post
    On topic - I've never had a bike that was completely comfortable out of the box.
    No, I guess I haven't either. Either that or I just can't resist changing things.

  14. #14
    Old enough to know better Spudmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    My Bikes
    On One, Surly, Gunnar, Lemond
    Posts
    257
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhm View Post
    This just isn't true in my case; if my bike didn't fold up, I wouldn't be able to take it on commuter trains during rush hour, so it would become useless as a commuting machine. .

    If you couldn't ride your bike there'd be no point in taking it on the train. If you couldn't ride your bike it would be useless as a commuting machine.

    Ephemeral - I had to look that one up. There's nothing ephemeral about a comfortable saddle.



    ephemeral

    adjective
    1. lasting a very short time; "the ephemeral joys of childhood"; "a passing fancy"; "youth's transient beauty"; "love is transitory but it is eternal"; "fugacious blossoms"

    noun
    1. anything short-lived, as an insect that lives only for a day in its winged form [syn: ephemeron]
    Last edited by Spudmeister; 11-14-07 at 02:43 PM. Reason: bad grammar

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •