Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Peoria, Illinois
    Posts
    529
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Handlebar adjustments on Dahon speed D7

    My Dahon D7 has adjustments for both the height of the handlebars and the rotation of the handlebars. How do I determine the optimal settings for these?

  2. #2
    Old enough to know better Spudmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    My Bikes
    On One, Surly, Gunnar, Lemond
    Posts
    257
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duke_of_hazard View Post
    My Dahon D7 has adjustments for both the height of the handlebars and the rotation of the handlebars. How do I determine the optimal settings for these?

    Experiment - choose the position most comfortable for you.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Peoria, Illinois
    Posts
    529
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, but there must be some guidelines otherwise why would Dahon bother adding this feature in if it is arbitrary?

  4. #4
    Keeping A Low Profile
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Atascadero, California
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock Sport [1998], Dahon Speed P8 2007, 1994 Diamond Back Ascent and a couple of Schwinn Stingrays [one boys, one girls] from circa 1977.
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although my Dahon is a Speed P8, it has the same handlebar setup. I like mine as high as possible for a more upright riding position.

    The other advantage with it 'high' is that when you go to fold the bike the handlebars swing down below the axle on the front wheel . . . requiring no further adjustment for folding.

    DON
    The older I get the less future there is to worry about!

  5. #5
    jur
    jur is online now
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,113
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Height: people just starting to ride like their bars higher than the saddle. As you get more experience, the bars are lowered because you can develop more power that way. At least that's my experience. My first bike I couldn't get the bars high enough. Now I set them a bit below saddle height.

    Rotation: For straight bars, the only real consideration is the brake levers. They should be in a natural position under your fingers, usually a bit below the line extending through the arms. Once the rotation is comfy you needn't touch it again.

    The rotation may also be needed for folding more compactly, to rotate the levers out of the way. The height setting is even more important for this, for a compact fold, the bars need to be pulled up so that after folding, they are below the front wheel axle.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Foldable Two's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA
    My Bikes
    2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20
    Posts
    1,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jur View Post
    Height: people just starting to ride like their bars higher than the saddle. As you get more experience, the bars are lowered because you can develop more power that way. At least that's my experience. My first bike I couldn't get the bars high enough. Now I set them a bit below saddle height.

    Rotation: For straight bars, the only real consideration is the brake levers. They should be in a natural position under your fingers, usually a bit below the line extending through the arms. Once the rotation is comfy you needn't touch it again.

    The rotation may also be needed for folding more compactly, to rotate the levers out of the way. The height setting is even more important for this, for a compact fold, the bars need to be pulled up so that after folding, they are below the front wheel axle.
    Well said, Jur.

    On both my NWT and my Dahon Single-speed, handlebars are about an inch lower than the saddle. I knew what riding style to specify on the Bike Friday NWT from my previous experimenting on the S1.

    The $129. I spent for than Red 2005 S1 at Campingworld was a great investment. It really let me zero-in on the best set-up for me. You have the same opportunity with the adjustability on your Speed-7.

  7. #7
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    its really not arbitary .....

    its personal

    lol, whatever floats your boat ,,, whatetever feels good and comfortable and doesnt slow you down ..or whatever is fast and furious but doesnt hurt ...

    The main thing is that you and ONLY you are happy with the position on the bike and that you therefore use the bike versus have it hanging in the garage

    The adjusatbility is just provided that everybody has the chance to get a personal best position, versus a few one only ...


    thor

  8. #8
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Surly Big Dummy, Surly 1x1, Surly Pugsley, Bike Friday Tikit x 3, Bike Friday NWT, Bow Cycle 24, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudmeister View Post
    Experiment - choose the position most comfortable for you.
    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by duke_of_hazard View Post
    Ok, but there must be some guidelines otherwise why would Dahon bother adding this feature in if it is arbitrary?
    That's the point there is no arbitrary position. What suits each person best will depend on their body's ergonomics. Try a few different positions and use the one[s] you like.

    I put the bars higher or lower depending on if I want to go a bit faster [lower] or just cruise around [higher].
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  9. #9
    Senior Member Fibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Dutchess County, NY
    My Bikes
    Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)
    Posts
    826
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only mandatory requirement is that the upper section be inserted at least below the "min" hash marks. After that, it is a matter of comfort. Dahon has afforded us a maximum amount of flexibility by giving several degrees of freedom.

    I am carrying a pen and marking positions that seem comfortable. I'm made two changes already in the angle of the handlebars to allow me to change my hand-brake relationship, and have already begun to drop the stem height a little bit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •