Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   OK, so I'm messing with my Moulton ...... (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/380287-ok-so-im-messing-my-moulton.html)

limeylew 01-18-08 02:09 PM

OK, so I'm messing with my Moulton ......
 
Recently I became the proud owner of a Moulton:-

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...=AsIgotit2.jpg

Like all my other bikes, I like to 'personalise' it somewhat.

In this case the most obvious change is from the 17", pneumatic tire wheels to 20" (406mm) wheels with tires from www.airfreetires.com

Where I have become, temporarily, stuck is finding a Sun CR-18 28 hole rim but I hope to find one soon.

Scanning through several threads on these forums I haven't noticed any other Moulton owners but, if there are any lurking, have you made any interesting changes to your machine?

invisiblehand 01-18-08 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limeylew (Post 6006874)
Recently I became the proud owner of a Moulton:-

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...=AsIgotit2.jpg

Like all my other bikes, I like to 'personalise' it somewhat.

In this case the most obvious change is from the 17", pneumatic tire wheels to 20" (406mm) wheels with tires from www.airfreetires.com

Where I have become, temporarily, stuck is finding a Sun CR-18 28 hole rim but I hope to find one soon.

Scanning through several threads on these forums I haven't noticed any other Moulton owners but, if there are any lurking, have you made any interesting changes to your machine?

Sweet bike. But I am getting a little confused between the models. I got the sense that Moulton moved over to ERTO 406 wheels with Schwalbe Stelvios; i.e., to something like a 18.7" tire.

limeylew 01-18-08 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by invisiblehand (Post 6007299)
Sweet bike. But I am getting a little confused between the models. I got the sense that Moulton moved over to ERTO 406 wheels with Schwalbe Stelvios; i.e., to something like a 18.7" tire.


Thanks for your interest.

I'm certainly no Moulton expert but I 'think' this is the ' AM ' model. Anyway, the (proprietary) tires that come with the bike are 369mm.

invisiblehand 01-18-08 07:18 PM

Ahhhhh, OK. Then it must be the New Series that has the ERTO 406 wheels.

pm124 01-18-08 08:14 PM

Covet, covet! Good thing I am an atheist.

The smaller wheeled models are coming back. Are you sure that none of the tires currently available fit your needs? They say that the Bridgestone tires are amazing. Those, and a liner or liquid sealant and you would probably be bombproof. But it looks from the pics like you got your 20" wheel.

Anyway, the best way to find the answer to your question is on the groups.yahoo.com list.

How much did you get it for?

limeylew 01-19-08 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pm124 (Post 6009025)
Covet, covet! Good thing I am an atheist.

The smaller wheeled models are coming back. Are you sure that none of the tires currently available fit your needs? They say that the Bridgestone tires are amazing. Those, and a liner or liquid sealant and you would probably be bombproof. But it looks from the pics like you got your 20" wheel.

Anyway, the best way to find the answer to your question is on the groups.yahoo.com list.

How much did you get it for?

Thanks for your suggestions. Here is the bike with 20" wheels installed and AIRFREE tires:-

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...nt=Rebuilt.jpg

See how close the wheel comes to the frame:-

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...hclearance.jpg

vik 01-19-08 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limeylew (Post 6010859)
Thanks for your suggestions. Here is the bike with 20" wheels installed and AIRFREE tires:-

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...nt=Rebuilt.jpg

See how close the wheel comes to the frame:-

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...hclearance.jpg

I'll be interested in your reports of what these tires are like. Everything I've read to date has been negative.

limeylew 01-19-08 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vik (Post 6011060)
I'll be interested in your reports of what these tires are like. Everything I've read to date has been negative.

I have had at least one bike with Airfree tires since about 1998/9 and they work PERFECTLY for my needs.

MOST people don't 'understand' this type of tire, IMHO.

Unlike pneumatic tires, airfree tires have to fit the rim perfectly when they are installed, since there is no way to make them fit 'better' once they are in place.

Therefore it is EXTREMELY important to have the proper tire/rim combination. In order to achieve this situation, some measuring is usually required and, lets be brutally honest here, MOST people are not good at measuring. This doesn't mean that they're not smart, it just means that they're not good at measuring.

It doesn't help that (and this is just 1 of many examples) the pneumatic tire on your bike that is 26", probably doesn't have anywhere on it that measures 26". Add to this that there are several 'types' of 26" tires, all with different sizes and this is just where the confusion starts.

Most of the complaints that I have read on newsgroups about airfree tires is that they don't fit the rim well and, as a consequence of this, they don't perform in the manner that the buyer had expected them to.

So, if they don't fit the rim well, this tends to indicated to me that the buyer, despite their best efforts, may not have measured quite as closely as they needed to.

Another complaint I have read is that the Airfree company has taken their money and not sent their tires.

I called the company about this (this was several years ago) and, at that time, they admitted that they had been through some money problems but told me they had straightened that out and reimbursed the people who were complaining. When I wrote one of the dissatisfied people on the newsgroup, he agreed that he had received his money back, however, these complaints stay out in 'cyberspace' and do tend to give the company a bad name, whether it deserves it or not.

These are NOT the tires that you would want for racing in the Tour de France.

They are heavier than pneumatic tires and have more rolling resistance but, having said that, they really don't have much more resistance.

They are heavier but, so what? Unless you are racing, how would a little extra weight ruin your day?

Since I am a Car-Free person, there are places I go to where I need to be there at a certain time, so I don't want to have to stop and fix a flat.

If I'm coming home at 4am and its 24 degrees, my hands would be too cold to change a flat.

If its pouring with rain and I'm off to work ............. well, you get my drift.

Hope this helps.

roseskunk 02-02-08 11:45 PM

hey lew- nice moulton! i think i'm soon going to own the same model, and yeah, i believe it's the am. i'm a bit concerned about finding parts and such for it... they're not terribly popular here in the states, especially texas! but i think they're just great and love the way it looks. i'm sure once i get mine, i'll be writing to you...

LittlePixel 02-03-08 06:21 AM

I think most UK Moulton owners haven't discovered the internets yet - they have a butler to do that sort of thing :)
Seriously though - there are a couple of Moultoneers on here - EvilV has a Pashley APB and a few of us have (or had) or want an original Speed or Stowaway. So nice to see you posting!
And a sweet bike. I like the tight tolerences....
You've piqued my interest with the tyres - I've had sooo many flats with 406 Stelvios. Which bead width did you go for? The site says they don't make the skinny 1.35" ones anymore...

limeylew 02-03-08 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittlePixel (Post 6100005)
I think most UK Moulton owners haven't discovered the internets yet - they have a butler to do that sort of thing :)
Seriously though - there are a couple of Moultoneers on here - EvilV has a Pashley APB and a few of us have (or had) or want an original Speed or Stowaway. So nice to see you posting!
And a sweet bike. I like the tight tolerences....
You've piqued my interest with the tyres - I've had sooo many flats with 406 Stelvios. Which bead width did you go for? The site says they don't make the skinny 1.35" ones anymore...

Thanks for taking time to view my bike.

I have had these tires (in the closet) for several years and they don't have the size written on them. They are mounted on Sun CR18 406mm rims and, given the close tolerance with which they fit, I have no doubt that it would require some minor frame mods. to use pneumatic tires.

Which side of London are you on?

Kind regards.

LittlePixel 02-03-08 12:07 PM

I'm up in North London - near Alexandra Palace just north of Crouch End if that means anything to you?

EvilV 02-03-08 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limeylew (Post 6006874)
Recently I became the proud owner of a Moulton:-

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...=AsIgotit2.jpg

Like all my other bikes, I like to 'personalise' it somewhat.

In this case the most obvious change is from the 17", pneumatic tire wheels to 20" (406mm) wheels with tires from www.airfreetires.com

Where I have become, temporarily, stuck is finding a Sun CR-18 28 hole rim but I hope to find one soon.

Scanning through several threads on these forums I haven't noticed any other Moulton owners but, if there are any lurking, have you made any interesting changes to your machine?

That's a damned fine bicycle, and it's a Moulton moulton, not one made by a licensed manufacturer like mine - expensive as that was. It's a beauty limeyview and I'd not want to make too many changes if I were you. These bikes are a work of art, pretty well and I feel that to do more would be like doing a mod on the Mona Lisa by adding some nice new features... Just my view, but I'd treat it as a classic and stick to as near as possible what it was in the first place. I genuinely can't think of anything I'd fix on my TSR30, although I did dump the stelvio tyres because I'd run them a bit soft and got a spate of punctures.

limeylew 02-03-08 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittlePixel (Post 6101112)
I'm up in North London - near Alexandra Palace just north of Crouch End if that means anything to you?

Yup, Ally Pally I think we used to call it.

I'm from Potters Bar, back when it was still in Middlesex.

Kind regards.

limeylew 02-03-08 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilV (Post 6102264)
That's a damned fine bicycle, and it's a Moulton moulton, not one made by a licensed manufacturer like mine - expensive as that was. It's a beauty limeyview and I'd not want to make too many changes if I were you. These bikes are a work of art, pretty well and I feel that to do more would be like doing a mod on the Mona Lisa by adding some nice new features... Just my view, but I'd treat it as a classic and stick to as near as possible what it was in the first place. I genuinely can't think of anything I'd fix on my TSR30, although I did dump the stelvio tyres because I'd run them a bit soft and got a spate of punctures.


I basically agree with you.

No drastic changes but I hope that what I do would not be obvious to most people.

Kind regards.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:12 PM.